Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

County surveyor for the western division of Co. Limerick, 1914-1929, and for the whole county, 1929-1945. Thomas Francis Ryan was born on 15 June 1885 near Limerick Junction, Co. Tipperary, and attended Clongowes Wood College from 1899 to 1902. Over a period of five years he studied privately for the Diploma in Engineering of the Royal University of Ireland and from 1904 to 1907, also served his engineering apprenticeship under EDWARD AUGUSTUS HACKETT EDWARD AUGUSTUS HACKETT , county surveyor of the South Riding of Co. Tipperary. He then went to London where he worked first as assistant engineer under Maurice Fitzmaurice for two contracts in connection with the metropolitan main drainage and then as assistant engineer on the Victoria and Albert Docks. In June 1914 he was appointed county surveyor for the western division of Co. Limerick, following the resignation of JOHN HORAN JOHN HORAN , and in 1929 he was given responsibility for the whole county. For a short period in 1943 he also acted as county surveyor for Co. Kerry. He retired in 1945 and died on 14 January 1948.(1)  He was a member of tge standing committe of the Irish Coursing Club, a steward of the Racing Board and managing director of Limerick greyhound track.(2)

ICEI: elected member, 8 April 1929;(3) no longer on list of members by 1947.
Inst.CE: admitted student, 11 December 1908; passed Associate Membership examination, February 1909; elected associate member, 6 December 1910.(4)

Addresses: Work: 82 O'Connell Street, Limerick, <=1929->=1942.
Home: 25 Sprowston Road, Forest Gate, London, 1910.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise referenced is from Ryan's application for associate membershiip of the Institution of Civil Engineers in the Institution's archives (courtesy of Susannah Roberts) and from Brendan O'Donoghue, The Irish County Surveyors 1834-1944 (Dublin: Four Courts Press, 2007), 294-5.


(1) Irish Times, 15 Jan 1948 (information from Brendan O'Donoghue, 2015).
(2) Irish Times, 17 Jun 1909; See note 1, above.
(3) TICEI 55 (1928-29), 152.
(4) Min.Proc.Inst.CE 183 ((1910-11, Pt I), 221.