Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Stuccadore and developer, of Dublin. Francis Ryan, who was active in Dublin from the 1760s to the 1780s, built at least three houses in Dublin: Nos. 21 and 22 Marrion Square (1768, with the plumber Thomas Sherwood) and No. 35 North Great George's Street (1784).(1)

Ryan was a subscriber to George Richardson's Book of Ceilings (1774).(2) He was probably related to the Francis Ryan who became a Freeman of the City of Dublin at Michaelmas 1804 as a member of the Guild of Plasterers by virtue of birth. A Samuel and a David Ryan were admitted on the same terms at the same time.(3)



References



(1) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 210,582-3.
(2) C.P. Curran, Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (1967), 73.
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 106.