Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter, of Clarendon Street, Dublin, active from 1738(1) or earlier until the late 1750s.  According to Casey.Rudd originally came from Cumberland.(2)  He was one of the three representatives off the Carpenters' Guild on the Common Council of Dublin in 1738.(3) In the mid-1740s Rudd built No. 42 and 43 St Stephen's Green and Nos. 14, 15 and 17 Molesworth Street.(4) He is presumably the person of the same name whose will, dated 30 March 1758, is listed in the Eneclann Index of Irish Wills.(5) The will was proved in the Prerogative Court in the same year.(6) Earlier a John Rudd had worked as a joiner on Castle Durrow, Co. Leix, built between 1716 and 1718.(7)

A Benjamin Rudd married Anne Smyth at St Luke's Church of Ireland church, Dublin, on 15 May 1753.(8)  'Mr Ben. Rud., Carpenter' was one of the subscribers to JOHN AHERON' JOHN AHERON' s A general treatise on architecture, published in Dublin in 1754.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Nodlaig P. Hardiman and Máire Kennedy, eds., A Directory of Dublin for the year 1738 (Dublin Corporation Public Libraries, 2000), 81.
(2) Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),541.
(3) CARD 8, 480.
(4) Georgian Society Records (1909-13), II, 65,74, IV, 92,99,100;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 531,541. 
(5) Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858 (Eneclann CD-ROM), Document ID 58042 and 58045.
(6) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 409.
(7) Loeber, 43.
(8) Irish Genealogy,  http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Jul 2013).


4 work entries listed in chronological order for RUDD, BENJAMIN *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 014 & 15
Date: 1740
Nature: Pair of gabled houses built by BR;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  531.
Refs: Georgian Society Records (1909-13), IV, 93,99

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 017
Date: 1744
Nature: Built by BR. (later replaced by Freemasons' Hall).
Refs: Georgian Society Records (1909-13), IV, 100

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 043
Date: 1745-46
Nature: Built by BR, as pair with No. 42.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  541.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 042
Date: 1745/6
Nature: Built by BR.
Refs: Georgian Society Records (1909-13), II, 65,74;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 541.