- Born: - Died: -
A design by 'W.J. Rowell, esq.', dating from 1866 or earlier, for a school house and lecture room for the union of Dunfeeny & Kilbride, Co. Mayo, is in the Representative Church Body Library, Dublin. The designation 'esq.' suggests an amateur.
Biographical information from A.C. Freeman, ed., The Architect's & Surveyor's Directory & Referendum (1910), 148, and Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 790.
(1) The drawing appears to be noted: 'Built in the 27th year of Lord Plunket's episcopate', but William Conyngham Plunket became bishop (of Meath) only in 1876, archbishop of Dublin in 1884, and died in 1898; the56th Report of National Education Commrs. (1889) reports the erection of a school at Kilbride c. 1888; could '27' be a misreading for '12'?
1 work entries listed in chronological order for ROWELL, W.J.
|Building:||CO. MAYO, DUNFEENY & KILBRIDE UNION, SCHOOL|
|Nature:||New school house and lecture room (at Ballycastle?), for Union of Dunfeeny and Kilbride.|
|Refs:||Signed, undated drawing in RCB Library, portfolio 19 (drawing noted: 'Built in the 27th year of Lord Plunket's episcopate' (ie. episcopate of Thomas Plunket Archbishop of Tuam 1839-1867)|