ROSE, JOSEPH *#
- Born: 1745 Died: 1799
English plasterer, for whom see Jill Lever, ed., Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects O-R(1976), 152-3. According to Curran, Rose worked at Castlecoole.(1) A sketchbook of designs kept by Rose included copies of designs 'from McCulaugh's book', that is, presumably, from a similar sketchbook kept by the Dublin plasterer JAMES MCCULLAGH. (2) Curran also notes that Bryan Bolger measured work by a plasterer named Watkin Rose at Usher's Quay in 1792,(3) from which, he believes, 'one may surmise some further connection' between the Rose family and Ireland.(4) Three ceiling designs in the Stapleton Collection in the National Library of Ireland are closely related to three in Rose's sketchbook.(5)
(1) C.P. Curran, Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (1967), 73.
(2) Margaret Jourdain, English decorative plasterwork of the Renaissance (London, 1926), 251.
(3) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A 58 126.
(4) Curran, loc. cit., above, where the date is wrongly printed as 1772.
(5) Nos. 2221,2328r,2292; see Eugenie Carr, 'A catalogue of the Stapleton family collection of Drawings in the National Library of Ireland', unpublished MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1985, 14-15,96-7.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for ROSE, JOSEPH *#
|Building:||CO. FERMANAGH, CASTLE COOLE (ENNISKILLEN)|
|Nature:||JR said by Curran to have worked there.|
|Refs:||C.P. Curran, Dublin Decorative Plasterwork of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries (1967), 73|