Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and artist, of Dublin and London. James Edward Rogers, son of James Rogers, QC, of 20 Upper Mount Street, Dublin, was born in Dublin in 1838. He was sent to school in England, where he attended Guildford Grammar School, and matriculated at Trinity College, Dublin, on 2 July 1855. At some point after matriculating he became a pupil of BENJAMIN WOODWARD. BENJAMIN WOODWARD. (1) Woodward at that time was working on the Oxford Museum, and Rogers visited the site on more than one occasion. He is mentioned as the companion of William Morris and Dante Gabriel Rossetti - who were decorating Woodward's debating hall at the Oxford Union with scenes from Arthurian legends - when they went 'hunting in the parish churches on Sunday evenings to find a Guinevere'.(2) After Woodward, who was dying from tuberculosis, had spent the winter of 1859 in Madeira, Rogers went to meet him in Algiers or the South of France in the early spring of 1860. He was later described by his lifelong friend, J.P. Mahaffy, as 'Woodward's favourite pupil'.

After Woodward's death in May 1861, Rogers remained for only a short period with his partners the Deanes.(3) He graduated BA from Trinity in the winter of 1861(4) and probably set up his own practice in 1862. He first appears in the directories under his own name in 1863, working from his father's address, but by the following year he had opened an office at 205 Great Brunswick Street. By 1870 he had moved to 179 Great Brunswick Street, where WILLIAM STIRLING  WILLIAM STIRLING and JAMES FRANKLIN FULLER  JAMES FRANKLIN FULLER also had their offices. Most of his recorded work was in connection with the Church of Ireland. He was architect to the Diocese of Meath until disestablishment in 1869 and also designed or worked on churches in the diocese of Dublin and in the west of Ireland.(5)

Drawing and painting in watercolour rather than architecture were Rogers's abiding interest. He exhibited at the Exhibition of Fine and Ornamental Arts in Dublin as early as 1861(6) and at the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1870 onwards.(7) Two picture books of nursery rhymes, Ridicula Rediviva and Mores Ridiculi were published by Macmillan in 1869 and 1871;(8) he also provided illustrations to the second edition of The Fairy Book, published by Macmillan in 1870, and to Present Pastimes of Merrie England, published by Cassell in 1873.

In 1876 Rogers moved London. He does not appear to have practised as an architect in England - he resigned his fellowship of the RIBA in 1877 - but continued to exhibit his paintings at the Royal Hibernian Academy until the year of his death. He also exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1881, 1882 and 1884,(9) at the Irish Exhibition in London, 1888,(10) and intermittently at the exhibitions of the Dublin Sketching Club and the Dublin Art Club.(11) Many of his paintings are of subjects in Holland and Germany; one of them, 'A street in Limburg an der Lahn', is in the National Gallery of Ireland.(12) In 1889 he and his old friend J.P. Mahaffy of Trinity, published Sketches from a tour through Holland and Germany, and soon afterwards he illustrated the Rev. Sabine Baring-Gould's Troubadour-Land: A Ramble in Provence and Languedoc(1891). He died in London on 18 February 1896.

AAI: committee member, 1872.
RIAI: auditor, 1867; council member, 1868; elected fellow, 15 December 1864;(13) resigned October, 1874.(14)
RIBA:(15) elected fellow, 26 Jan 1874, having been proposed by James Franklin Fuller, JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY  JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY and THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE ; resigned 1877.
RHA: elected associate, 4 December 1871.(16)

Addresses:(17) Work: 205 Great Brunswick Street, 1864-1869; 179 Great Brunswick Street, 1870-1876.
Home: 20 Upper Mount Street, 1863; Mulberry Hill, Chapelizod; Cambridge Road, Rathmines, 1865; 9 Shanganagh Terrace, Ballybrack, 1870-1875; 2 Elgin Road, Maida Vale, London, 1876(18)-1880; 22a Dorset Street, Portman Square, 1881-1883; 70 South Hill Park, Hampstead, 1884-1893; 35 Fitzroy Road, Regent's Park, 1894 until death.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 298, Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 288,395-401, and Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 105-111.


(1) O'Dwyer suggests that this may have come about through his friendship with William Stokes, a son of Dr William Stokes, who matriculated on the same day, as did J.P. Mahaffy.
(2) W. Tuckwell, Reminiscences of Oxford (1900), 49-50, cited by both Howell and O'Dwyer.
(3) Perspectives by Rogers of works by the Deanes are in DB 3, 1 Feb 1861, 419 (two Dublin drinking fountains) and DB 4, 15 Feb 1862, supplement (Tuam cathedral).
(4) He became MA in 1865.
(5) See Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 175-197.
(6) No. 90, Ponte Vecchio, Florence (IALE II, 616).
(7) His watecolours were invariably for sale; two of them are noted in the review of the 1873 RHA exhibition in IB 15, 1 Apr 1873, 95.
(8) 2 plates from the former are reproduced in Howell, op. cit., above, 106.
(9) Graves VI, 351.
(10) IALE, II, 616.
(11) Ann M. Stewart, Irish Art Societies & Sketching Clubs (1997), II, 627.
(12) No 2525 (repr. in Howell, op. cit. above, 110); the gallery also has three drawings by Rogers of Irish antiquities dated 1868 and 1869 (Nos. 7451, 7452 and 7684).
(13) RIAI council meeting minutes, 14 Nov 1864, 22; general meeting minutes, 15 Dec 1864, 152.
(14) RIAI council meeting minutes, 9 Nov 1874, 186.
(15) Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 498; he appears consistently in RIBA records as John Edward Rogers.
(16) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 634.
(17) From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories, Index of RHA Exhibitors III, 116-7, Graves VI, 351 and O'Dwyer. p. cit., above, 401, unless otherwise stated.
(18) RIBAJ 26 (1875-6), ?.


32 work entries listed in chronological order for ROGERS, JAMES EDWARD [2]


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LEITRIM, LOUGH RYNN
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Gothic stable block, designed by Deane & Woodward. JER 'probably acted as job architect' (O'Dwyer)
Refs: Contract drawings witnesssed by JER in collection of Marcus Clements, Kildoon, Co. Kildare; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 478

Building: CO. CAVAN, REDHILLS (NEAR), CHURCH (CI, KILLOUGHTER PARISH)
Date: 1860
Nature: Addition of chancel, 'probably designed by J.E. Rogers'.(Mulligan)  Date given by Costegalde & Walker.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 516;  Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 241(illus.). 


Building: ENGLAND, OXFORD, BROAD STREET, NO. 040-41
Date: 1860s
Nature: 'Rogers may have been the architect of the octagonal smoking room which Dr Acland added to his study in the 1860s'.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 399

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHIBSBOROUGH ROAD, CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (CI, GRANGEGORMAN PARISH)
Date: 1863
Nature: Design for stained glass window to memory of Rev. T.G. Dudley. Executed by James Powell & Sons.
Refs: Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 107;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 275.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLENAGEARY, GLENAGEARY ROAD UPPER, LANGARA
Date: 1863
Nature: New(?) house, for Arthur Samuels. Masonry work by Grundy.
Refs: IAA, PKS B02/19; Peter Pearson, Between the Mountains and the Sea (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, 1998), 145

Building: ENGLAND, OXFORD, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL
Date: 1864
Nature: Design for stained glass window in S aisle, executed by James Powell & Sons.
Refs: Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 105(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRUNSWICK STREET NORTH, NO. 004 (CARMICHAEL SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, OLD)
Date: 1864
Nature: FS laid 29 Mar 1864. Rapidly approaching completion in Oct 1864. To be formally opened on first Monday in November 1864. Contractor: Gilbert Cockburn & Sons. Carved capitals in hall by C.W. Harrison.
Refs: IAA, PKS B02/21, B03/05, A03 (Sep 1863, p.42v); Irish Times, 30 Mar 1864; DB 6, 1 Apr,15 Oct,1 Nov 1864, 61-2, 208,209(illus.),220(illus.); B 22, 9 Apr 1864, 267; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 107(illus.),108(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 396(illus.),397;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),255-6(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARBOUR ROAD (HOWTH), CHURCH OF ST MARY (CI)
Date: 1864-1866
Nature: New church to replace church of 1816 and to accommodate 450 persons. Tower in NW corner only part of old building retained. 5-bay nave w. N & S aisles. Private door for Ld Howth at E end of S aisle. Started late 1864. Consecrated 3 Jul 1866. Contractor: Walter Doolin. Cost: £2,600.
Refs: Drawing(s), s. & d. Jul 1864, in RCB Library, portfolio 14; unpriced estimates for nave roof in IAA, PKS B03/08 (also old ref. PKS B/77 (Sep 1864)); DB 6, 15 Nov 1864, 236; 8, 15 Jul 1866, 175; IB 12, 1 Jan 1870, 4; B 24, 4 Aug 1866, 582; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 107109(illus.); Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 174(illus.)176,178-183(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 399,400(illus.);  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 292.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, MULROY HOUSE
Date: 1865
Nature: 2-storey, gabled Elizabethan style for 3rd Earl of Leitrim. Atributed by O'Dwyer to JER but apparently designed by George Wilkinson.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 170; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 397,478

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CHURCH SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1865
Nature: Memorial pulpit and reading desk of Caen stone and Irish marbles in memory of late Mrs Jeremiah Nunn.naugurated 10 Dec 1865. Executed by Mr Harrison, Gt Brunswick St. (Standard lights presented by rector as memorial to 'the same excellent and deeply-lamented lady'.)
Refs: DB 7, 15 Dec 1865, 299;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 7.no. 78, 19 Dec 1865, 282;   illus. in St Patrick's Church, Monaghan (illustrated booklet published by St Patrick's Church post 2002), 8-9;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 466.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1865
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting new glebe house and demolishing old one. For Rev. W.R. Bailey, DD, Clogher. Builder: John Dwyer, Errill. Estimated cost: £1,260..
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Apr 1865, p.64v), L1 (p.809,857,873,889, &c.)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, GLIN, CHURCH (CI, KILFERGUS PARISH)
Date: 1865-1870
Nature: New church built  within grounds of Glin Castle, on site of old church and incorporating W tower of same, 1865. 5-bay nave with lancet windows. Described as 'in progress' in |Irish Church Directory| (1869). W porch and detached tower & spire added, 1870.
Refs: Drawings, s. & d. 1865 and 1870 in RCB Library, portfolio 22; IAA, PKS L1 (p.804,806, &c.);  Irish Churchman 1, no. 7, 15 Aug 1868, 98;  Irish Church Directory (1869), ?; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 194(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 399

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CASHEL, TOWN HALL
Date: 1866
Nature: Alts. & imps. including new roof to be carried out.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Sep 1866, p.118v); DB 8, 1,15 Jun 1866, 147,153; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 108; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 399

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KENURE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1866
Nature: New church for Sir William Henry Roger Palmer. Consecrated, 4 Dec 1866. JER also designed stained glass in W window in memory of Mary Ellen Peel, executed by James Powell & Sons.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Dec 1866, 303; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 105(illus.),107; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 183-186(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KENURE, RECTORY
Date: 1866ca
Nature: Designed by JR.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397

Building: CO. CAVAN, REDHILLS HOUSE
Date: 1867
Nature: Adds. for Rev. Arthur Whyte Venables.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Nov 1866, p.118v);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 516.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DENMARK ST GREAT, HOUSE
Date: 1867
Nature: Proposed works.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Oct 1857, p.118v)

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, ST LOMAN'S STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1867
Nature: Unexecuted scheme for renovation and refitting.
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397

Building: CO. MEATH, TRIM, ST LOMAN'S STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1867-68
Nature: JER prepares plans for alts. & adds. consisting of N transept, porch, entrance, robing room; repewing, new organ, removal of galleries, &c. also proposed. £800 needed.(Work carried out by T.N. Deane, 1868-69)
Refs: IB 9, 1 Dec 1867, 316; B of I files, citing Rev. W.L. McGill(?), Story of St Patrick's Cathedral, Trim, 34; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397;  exterior and interior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 318.319.

Building: CO. LEITRIM, LOUGH RYNN
Date: 1867;1868
Nature: Designs garden gate and garden turret, 1867, for Earl of Leitrim. Also directed to prepare plans for new office, 1868.
Refs: Signed drawings, dated 1867, in the collection of Marcus Clements, Killadoon, Co. Kildare;  A.P.W. Malcomson, The Clements Archive (Dublin: Irish Manuscripts Commission, 2010), 246,251.


Building: CO. LIMERICK, CROOM, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: Enlargement by addition of new chancel with robing room on N side. Contract dated 1868.
Refs: Signed drawing in RCB Library, portfolio 22

Building: CO. LIMERICK, KILKEEDY, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1868
Nature: New church. Early English. 3-bay nave with S porch. 1-bay chancel with vestry & fuel on N side. Bellcote on S side of W gable. (Replaced church with tower and spire built 1813.)
Refs: Drawing, s. & d. 1868, in RCB Library, portfolio 22; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 194-195(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, SKERRIES, CHURCH (CI, HOLMPATRICK PARISH)
Date: 1868
Nature: New church, consecrated 2 Sep 1868. Contractor: Walter Doolin. Limestone from Milverton quarries. Chandelier by Sloane & Co., St Stephen's Green.
Refs: Unsigned drawings, showing alternative proposals for 5- or 6-bay nave, dated 1867 in RCB Library, portfolio 14; IAA, PKS A03 (Nov. 1866, p.118v);   IB 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233;   B 26, 19 Sep 1868, 692;  Irish Churchman 1, no. 8, 19 Sep 1868, 117;  Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 108-9; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 186-189(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 399;  exterior illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 292.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 031 (CALEDONIAN FIRE & LIFE INSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1868-1870
Nature: New premises. 2-bay Ruskinian Gothic with Romanesque elements.  Builder: W. Doolin. £6,000.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Feb 1868, p.118v); IB 12, 15 Nov 1870, 263; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 108,109(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 415.

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1868-70
Nature: New parish church on site donated by James C. Moore. 13th century Gothic style with apsidal chancel, south porch and detached round tower. Handsome carved stone pulpit, encaustic tiles throughout. All windows of stained glass. FS laid 11 Apr 1868 (or 9 Jun?).  Consecrated 17 Mar 1870. Contractor: H. Sharpe, Kells. Cost about £2,200; £1200 donated by William Coates, Knockanally, who also donated W window in memory of Mrs Coates.
Refs: Drawing, signed & dated 1868, in RCB Library, portfolio 18;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 10, no. 105, 20 Mar 1868, 66; 12, no. 130, 22 Mar 1870, 70;  IB 10, 15 Jun 1868, 157; 12, 1 Apr 1870, 82;  Irish Churchman 1, no. 5, 20 Jun 1868, 66;  Architect 3, 9 Apr 1870, 180; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 639; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 109; Brendan Grimes, 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 191-193(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 397.

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, SCOTCH STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1869
Nature: New bank. Estimated cost £3,180.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Dec 1869, p.121v)

Building: CO. KERRY, LISTOWEL, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1869
Nature: Enlargement by addition of square chancel with robing room.
Refs: Drawing (contract 1869) in RCB Library, portfolio 2, see RCB Library - Architectural Drawings, www.archdrawing.ireland.anglican.org (last visited, Feb 2016).

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA (CI, DRUMRAGH PARISH)
Date: 1869-1871
Nature: New church in 13th cent. Gothic style, retaining tower of old church (but Leslie says new tower and spire were built 'soon afterwards'). To cost about £5,400. Contractor: John Collen, Portadown.. Memorial stone laid by Duke of Abercorn, 8? Oct 1870. Consecrated 20 Oct 1871. Work supervised by William Hunter.
Refs: Contract drawing signed by JER, 1869, and J. Collen, May 1870, in RCB 10; IB 12, 15 Oct 1870, 242; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 445;  Clergy of Derry & Raphoe (Ulster Historical Foundation, 1999), 71(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLENAGEARY, ADELAIDE ROAD, ADELAIDE HOUSE
Date: 1872
Nature: ?New house (or simply alts?), for J. R. Clarke. Contractor: Donovan.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/38

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLYDE ROAD, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S VICARAGE
Date: 1872-73
Nature: FS of vicarage and parochial hall laid 8? Jun 1872 by Lady Kilmaine. Contractor: Donovan. Estimated cost: £2,200. Opened 5 Jul 1873. Cost about £3000.
Refs: IB 14, 15 Jun 1872, 167;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 15, no. 170, 21 Jul 1873, 422; Peter Howell, 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?', Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 109; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 399

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILROCK ROAD (HOWTH), HOUSE
Date: 1874
Nature: New house for Gerald Fitzgibbon, jr., with J.F. Fuller. Builder: Henry Sharpe. £4,300.
Refs: IAA, PKS B06/33, B07/10, B14/31, A06 (Feb 1874)

Building: CO. CAVAN, REDHILLS (NEAR), CHURCH (CI, KILLOUGHTER PARISH)
Date: ?
Nature: Chancel 'probably designed by James E. Rogers' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 516.

Author Title Date Details
Grimes, Brendan 'The church architecture of James Edward Rogers (1838-1896)' 1999 Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies II (1999), 174-197.
Howell, Peter 'Who was "Rogers, a pupil of Woodward"?' 1997 Irish Arts Review 13 (1997), 105-111.
Rogers, James Edward [Letter to editor of Building News.] 1867 Building News 14, ? ? 1867, 466.