Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. John Loftus Robinson was born, probably in Dublin, in about 1848, the son of John Joseph Robinson (1819c-1895) and his wife, Mary Theresa Robinson (d.1881). His father may be the person of the same name who owned a tailoring and drapery business at 13 College Green, Dublin, in the 1850s, and who later lived in Booterstown and was a Blackrock Township Commissioner, representing Booterstown ward. John Loftus Robinson received his architectural training in the office of EDWARD HENRY CARSON. EDWARD HENRY CARSON. (1) In 1870 his first design - for an elaborate Gothic villa 'to cost £2,500' - appeared in the Irish Builder;(2) this was followed throughout the years by various other designs(3) and sketches and measured drawings of mediaeval English and Irish architecture.(4) Drawings by him were also reproduced in The Architect.(5)

By 1872 Robinson had established his own office at 198 Great Brunswick Street, where he continued to practise until his death. From 1873 onwards he was a frequent exhibitor at the Royal Hibernian Academy.(6) He also exhibited at the Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loan Museum in 1872, at the Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, in 1882, and at the Cork Industrial Exhibition in 1883.(7) In the mid-1870s he collaborated with THOMAS HENRY LONGFIELD  THOMAS HENRY LONGFIELD in submitting competition entries for an extension to the Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, and for the municipal offices in Wexford.(8) The two men went their separate ways, however, and Robinson never took a partner. His commissions were chiefly for Catholic churches and religious houses in the Dublin area, though he also did some commercial and domestic work. By the time of his death, in the words of his obituarist in the Irish Builder, 'he was in the enjoyment of a large and lucrative practice'. His pupils and assistants included JOSEPH KELLY FREEMAN  JOSEPH KELLY FREEMAN and GEORGE LUKE O'CONNOR GEORGE LUKE O'CONNOR , who succeeded him in his practice.

In addition to running a busy practice, Robinson played an active part in public life. He represented Trinity Ward on Dublin City Council(9) and was chairman of the electric lighting committee and of the public health committee. Described in his obituary in the Building News as an 'ardent Parnellite', he also acted as secretary to the Nationalist party in the corporation. He was chairman of the Kingstown Township Commissioners for many years, and as such was largely responsible for the creation of the People's Park in the town.(10) He was an active member of the National Liberal Club in London.

In his spare time, Robinson was a keen amateur photographer. For fifteen years he accompanied the London Architectural Association's excursions in the role of honorary photographer and presented copies of his photographs to the library every year.(11) He was the life and soul of these excursions, as is clear from the many affectionate tributes which appeared in the A.A. Notes after his death. In one H.D. Searles-Wood lamented that the excursions had 'been robbed of half their interest in the loss of him who the friend of all, was, as it were, the chief cause of the gaiety which has always been a marked feature of these pleasant holidays'.(12) In another, F.T.W. Miller described meeting him for the first time at breakfast in a hotel in Banbury: 'I became aware of a stange personality immediately facing me, a somewhat gaunt figure in black with a white clerical collar - none too orderly - a serious face, drooping moutache, and large expressive eyes behind a pair of glasses…"Some parson or other down for the week", I thought, and wondered, when a voice from the table chaffingly called out in a rich Hibernian brogue: "It's a foine piece of beef ye have there, I'll throuble ye for a sloice of it."'(13) Robinson organized an excursion of the association's members to Ireland in 1888(14) and followed it up with a talk on 'The Development of Irish Architecture' in December of the same year.(15) He was also active in the Dublin Sketching Club, of which he was president in 1894, the year of his death. After the launch at Dalkey of the club's outdoor sketching season in early May, he 'hospitably entertained the members and friends at his residence, Rathruadh, Glenageary'.(16)

Robinson died of typhoid fever on 12 October 1894. His death came suddenly; in the same week he had led a group of members of the Royal Society of Antiquaries on a tour of places of interest in Dublin. Edward W. Mountford, in his presidential address to the Architectural Association of London, delivered a fortnight later, described the shock of his sudden death: 'For those who knew him well it is difficult to realise that we shall see him no more in this world, never more hear his infectious laugh; for of all men he seemed to have a superabundance of life, health, and good spirits.'(17) His funeral at Glasnevin Cemetery on 15 October was attended by 'a vast number of clergy and friends, including Archbishop Walsh, who read the service at the grave, and the Lord Mayor of Dublin, several members of Parliament, the City corporation, the Royal Hibernian Academy, and nearly every leading architect in Dublin'. His wife, Mary Thomasina Josephine, survived him, dying in 1908 at the age of fifty-seven.(18) His son JOHN JOSEPH ROBINSON  JOHN JOSEPH ROBINSON was also an architect.   His pupils and assistants included JOSEPH KELLY FREEMAN JOSEPH KELLY FREEMAN , GEORGE LUKE O'CONNOR  GEORGE LUKE O'CONNOR and SAMUEL REDDY SAMUEL REDDY . On Robinson's death, O'Connor carried on the practice.

The Irish Architectural Archive holds a photocopy of Robinson's diary for January to October 1893 (Acc. 2006/011).

AAI: committee member, 1872;(19) hon. secretary, 1873-1875;(20) reads paper on 'Architectural Perspective', 9 January 1873;(21) reads paper on 'Architectural Students', 26 February 1874.(22)
RIAI: student, elected associate, 17 March 1870, having been proposed by Edward Henry Carson and WILLIAM FOGERTY WILLIAM FOGERTY , seconded by WILLIAM FRANCIS CALDBECK WILLIAM FRANCIS CALDBECK , JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY  JAMES JOSEPH MCCARTHY and WILLIAM STIRLING WILLIAM STIRLING ;(23) elected member, 28 November 1878, having been proposed by GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON GEORGE CARLISLE HENDERSON , JAMES HIGGINS OWEN  JAMES HIGGINS OWEN and William Stirling;(24) elected fellow, 1885;(25) tribute paid at meeting of 26 January 1895.(26)
RHA:(27) elected associate, 10 January 1886; elected member, 18 July 1892.
RSAI:(28) elected member, 17 July 1889;(29) elected fellow, 25 July 1893;(30) member of council, 1894; hon. curator of photographic collection.

Addresses:(31) Work: 198 Great Brunswick Street, 1872 until death.
Home: 3 Claughton Villas, Booterstown, 1869;(32) 2 Claughton Villas, 1870(33)-1872; 16 Booterstown Avenue, 1873-1877; 48 East Clarinda Park, Dun Laoghaire, 1879-1881; Rathruadh, Glenageary, 1882 until death.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituaries of Robinson in IB 36, 16 Oct 1894, and Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554, Glasnevin Cemetery Records and Thom's and Post Office directories. Other obituaries are in JRSAI 25 (1895), 93, B 67, ? ? 1894, 282 (not read) and Irish Times, 13 Oct 1894. A three-quarter-length oil painting of Robinson in his middle years was presented by his descendants to Dun Laoighaire town council and hangs in the town hall (2003). A portrait photograph is in AA Notes, Vol. 10, 137.

(1) It is possible he that then worked briefly in the office of a London architect, for his connections with England appear unusually close.
(2) IB 12, 15 Oct 1870, 242,244-5(illus.).
(3) For identified designs see Works: unidentified designs appear in IB 13, 15 Jul 1871, 183 ('Design for a tower'), IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 71 ('Sketch for a gate lodge'), IB 18, 1 Sep 1876, 252 ('Design for a church').
(4) See IB 13, 15 Oct 1871, 267 and 14, 15 Apr 1872, 113. Robinson also drew William Stirling's design for the English & Scottish Law Life Assurance Assn, Sackville Street, for IB 13, 15 Feb 1871, 40.
(5) See Architect 18, 15 Dec 1877, 328,330 ('Examples of late Irish architecture') and 20, 13 Jul 1878, 24 ('Bective Abbey').
(6) For identified designs see Works; he also exhibited unidentified designs in 1873 for a church (no. 317) and a Town Hall (no. 325)(see IB 15, 1 Apr 1873, 95) and 1875 two further designs for a town hall (nos. 220,221).
(7) See IALE II, 612.
(8) Exh. RHA 1875, no. 217; he exhibited two other town hall designs at the same time (nos. 220,221).
(8) See letter from Longfield and J.L. Robinson in IB 17, 15 Aug 1875, 231.
(9) See IB 28, 1 Dec 1886, 323; 33, 15 May 1891, 118.
(10) See IB 32, 15 May 1890, 127.
(11) Photographs by Robinson appear in B 50, 20 Mar 1886, 438, and IB 33, 1 Apr 1891, 75(illus.),81; 35, 1 Sep 1893, 199(illus.),205; for other references to Robinson as photographer see B 47, 11 Oct 1884, 483; 49, 10 Oct 1885, 492; 52, 14 May 1887, 731; ? ? 1890, 405; also IB 26, 13 Nov 1884, 343; 27, 15 Oct 1885, 280.
(12) AA Notes IX (1894), 75.
(13) AA Notes X (1895), 172.
(14) B 54, 28 Apr 1888, 310.
(15) B 55, 8 Dec 1888, 418.
(16) Building News66, 18 May 1894, 696. See also Ann M. Stewart, Irish Art Societies & Sketching Clubs (1997), II, 622, for works exhibited by Robinson at the Club's exhibitions.
(17) AA Notes IX (1894), 67.
(18) He had presumably married circa 1878 when he ceased to live in the family home in Booterstown.
(19) IB 14, 15 May 1872, 149.
(20) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(21) IB 15, 15 Jan 1873, 21-23.
(22) IB 16, 1,15 Mar 1874, 76,88.
(23) RIAI council meeting minutes, 21 Jun 1869, 133; general meeting minutes, , 18 Nov 1869, 233, 17 Mar 1870, 239.
(24) RIAI council meeting minutes, 13 Nov 1878, 214.
(25) RIAI council meeting minutes, 9 Nov 1885, 245; general meeting minutes, 12 December 1885, 281.
(26) RIAI general? meeting minues, 26 Jan 1895, 313.
(27) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 634.
(28) Information from obituary in JRSAI 25 (1895), 93, unless otherwise stated.
(29) JRSAI 19 (1889), ?.
(30) JRSAI 23 (1893), 331.
(31) JRSAI 24(1894), 103.
(32) From Jones transcripts from Thom's directories unless otherwise stated.
(33) See note 19, above.
(34) See note 19, above.


85 work entries listed in chronological order for ROBINSON, JOHN LOFTUS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1871
Nature: Extensive alts. Builder: Canning.
Refs: IB 13, 15 Dec 1871, 331

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BERESFORD PLACE, NO. 016-17?
Date: 1871
Nature: Conversion of 'The Bath House' (i.e. Northumberland Baths?), Beresford Pl, into mercantile offices. Contractor: R. Henderson.
Refs: IB 13, 15 Dec 1871, 331

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAMDEN STREET LOWER, NO. 018-19 (KERRIGAN)
Date: 1871
Nature: Neat shop front designed by 'Mr Robinson' being completed in Camden St for Mr Kerrigan, wine merchant &c. in same street. Builder: Dwyer.
Refs: IB 13, 15 Nov 1871, 299

Building: ENGLAND, CHORLEY (LANCASHIRE), TOWN HALL
Date: 1872
Nature: Competition entrant.
Refs: IB 14, 15 Jul 1872, 199,201(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOOTERSTOWN, BOOTERSTOWN AVENUE, PRESBYTERY
Date: 1872
Nature: New. For Very Rev. Monsignor Forde, PP. Also Schools, for Sisters of Mercy. Builder: J.M. Cormack. Cost £4,400.
Refs: Design exh. Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loan Museum, 1872, no. 946; IB 14, 15 Aug 1872, 224(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOOTERSTOWN, SCHOOL
Date: 1872
Nature: New. For Sisters of Mercy. Builder: J.M. Cormack. Also Presbytery, for Monsignor Forde. Cost £4,400.
Refs: Design exh. Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loan Museum, 1872, no. 946; IB 14, 15 Aug 1872, 224(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, DEVITT MEMORIAL
Date: 1872
Nature: Memorial cross to Alderman Richard Devitt, executed by Fitzpatrick & Molloy, sculptors.
Refs: IB 14, 1 Feb 1872, 40(illus.); W.J. Fitzpatrick, History of the Dublin Catholic Cemeteries (1900), 106

Building: CO. KERRY, BALLYBUNION, HOUSE
Date: 1873
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of 'cottage residence'.
Refs: IB 15, 15 Nov 1873, advertisement

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, SION HILL, ST CATHERINE'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1873a
Nature: Oratory on lawn. Builder: Stapleton, Dun Laoghaire. Window by Earley & Powell. Tiles by Sibthorpe & Son.
Refs: IB 15, 1 Jun 1873, 148(illus.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, MAIN STREET, PREMISES
Date: 1874
Nature: Alts. & adds. made to premises, for Fred. McCrea, Esq..
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CROSS AVENUE, NO. 015 (BELLEVUE)
Date: 1874
Nature: Extensive alts. & adds. for Thomas Brangan, Esq. Contractor: C. Stapleton.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET, FEMALE NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1874
Nature: Large addition. Contractor: Joseph Kelly.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET NORTH GREAT, NO. 026
Date: 1874
Nature: Alts. & improvements, for Mr Clarke. Contractor: P. Monks.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLOUCESTER STREET LOWER, MAGDALEN ASYLUM & CONVENT OF OUR LADY OF REFUGE
Date: 1874
Nature: Extensive adds. & alts. for Sisters of Charity. Builder: Pat Monk.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 140.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HIGH STREET, NO. 038-43 (CORNELIUS DENNEHY)
Date: 1874
Nature: Extensive bonded warehouses, rectifying stores and works. For C. Dennehy, TC, JP. Contractor: Pat Monks.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERCHANTS QUAY, NO. 001 (RYAN & SON)
Date: 1874
Nature: Addition being made to Ryan's paper warehouse. Contractor: Thomas Judge.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ORMOND QUAY LOWER, NO. 040 (ORMOND AUCTION ROOMS)
Date: 1874
Nature: New auction room just finished. 30' x80'. Contractor: John Boyce. (For Thomas Dowse?)
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MARINE ROAD, TOWN HALL & COURT HOUSE
Date: 1874-1880
Nature: JLR's plans for new town hall accepted by commissioners, 1874. Design modified, 1877. Tenders invited, 1877. Corner stone laid, 20 Nov 1878. Opened 20 Jul 1880. Contractor: Mssrs. Meade & Son. (Tender: £12,240.) Cost: £16,000.
Refs: Undated perspective view of E front in Town Hall, Dun Laoghaire; RHA 1875, no. 230, 1879, nos. 313,368, 1881, no. 589; Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, 1882 (no 620); IB 16, 1 Oct 1874, 264; 19, 1 Apr,15 Jun 1877, 92,181; 20, 15 Nov,1 Dec 1878, ?,349(illus.); 12, 15 Jul,1 Aug 1880, 196,205,220;  Freeman's Journal, 16 May 1878;  Architect 20, 7 Dec 1878, 312(illus.); 24, 24 Jul 1880, 53; B 37, 11 Jan 1879, 41; B 39, 10,31 Jul 1880, 57,145,149(illus.);  Irish Times, 7 Jul 1880, 6.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, ST MICHAEL'S HOSPITAL
Date: 1874-76
Nature: New hospital. Contractor: M. Meade. FS laid 1 Oct 1874. Opened 1876.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Oct,15 Nov 1874, 264,320; 18, 15 Jun 1876, 181; 22, 15 Mar 1880, 83; designs exh. RHA 1875, no. 237, 1880, no. 487; also Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, 1882 (no 635); Architect14, 20 Nov 1875, 288; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p23/9

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WEAVER'S SQUARE, POOR SCHOOLS
Date: 1874a
Nature: Large poor schools recently opened. Contractor: Joseph Kelly.
Refs: IB 16, 1 Mar 1874, 73

Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, TOWN HALL (PROPOSED)
Date: 1875
Nature: Competition(?) design exh. RHA (with TH. Longfield))
Refs: RHA 1875, no. 217 (see also IB 16, 1 Jun 1874, 161)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRICKFIELD LANE, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1875
Nature: Being erected in connection with Night Refuge for Homeless Females. Domestic Gothic, with chapel. Contractor: Joseph Kelly, Thomas Street. Cost will probably exceed £7,000.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Nov 1875, 301 (illus.); Architect14, 20 Nov 1875, 288; design exh. RHA, 1877, no. 328

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 123 (ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS)
Date: 1875
Nature: Entrant (?with T.H. Longfield) in competition for design for addition.
Refs: IB 17, 15 Aug 1875, 231

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CORK STREET, ST JOSEPH'S CONVENT
Date: 1875
Nature: 5-bay 3-storey residential range with chapel  at rear.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 635


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, HOLY CROSS PARISH SCHOOLS
Date: 1876-77
Nature: -
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EXCHANGE STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF SS MICHAEL & JOHN (RC)
Date: 1876ca-79
Nature: New high altar. Side altars also designed by JLR. Contractor: O'Callaghan, 4 Bachelors Walk.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 21, 1 Feb 1879, 35(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GREAT WESTERN SQUARE (PHIBSBOROUGH)
Date: 1878
Nature: Entrant in competition sponsored by Midland Great Western Railway Co..
Refs: IB 20, 15 Feb 1878, 52,55(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, CROFTON ROAD, ST PATRICK'S REFUGE
Date: 1878
Nature: New laundry and Magdalen asylum replacing existing institution at Glasthule. For Sisters of Mercy. Contractor: Meade & Son.
Refs: IB 20, 1 Jun 1878, 161(illus.),163

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PROSPECT ROAD (GLASNEVIN), ST VINCENT DE PAUL MALE ORPHANAGE
Date: 1878-79
Nature: New wing (comprising refectory, waiting rooms, cells for Christian Brothers and dormitory) in course of erection for St Vincent de Paul Society. Also chapel. Contractor: Meade & Son. Opened by Dr McCabe 20 Jul 1879.
Refs: IB 20, 15 Jul 1878, 205(illus.),207; B 37, 8 Aug 1879, 898

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DONNYBROOK, HOUSES (004)
Date: 1879
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1879, no. 318

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF DOLOURS (RC)
Date: 1879-1881
Nature: Expenditure of £216 on church recorded .
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CORK ROAD, HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY GHOST
Date: 1880
Nature: Competition entrant. Writes letter to Trustees declining to submit new plans after they had modified their requirements 'to such an extent as to render the plans submitted in reply to their advertisement useless'.
Refs: IB 22, 1 May 1880, 131

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MALAHIDE ROAD, NO. 057 (O'BRIEN INSTITUTE)
Date: 1880
Nature: Entrant in limited competition. Design exh. RHA, 1881.
Refs: IB 22, 1 May 1880, 131; illus. in Building News 39, 15 Oct 1880;  RHA 1881, no. 594.

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, WEST STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, NEW)
Date: 1881
Nature: Competition entrant for new church.
Refs: Architect 25, 25 Jun 1881, 435(illus.); design exh. RHA 1882, no. 655

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST LAURENCE PLACE EAST, CONVENT OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE
Date: 1881
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1881, no. 596

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NATIONAL MUSEUM
Date: 1881-82
Nature: Entrant in first (and second?) competition.
Refs: Designs exh. RHA 1882, no. 650, 1884, no. 368

Building: CO. WICKLOW, RATHNEW, SCHOOL
Date: 1882
Nature: Contractor: Mellon. £540.
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, CARRICKBRENNAN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1882
Nature: Tower and spire.
Refs: B of I

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEVILLE PLACE, CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE (RC)
Date: 1882a
Nature: Design or sketch exh. Irish Exhibition of Arts and Manufactures, Dublin, 1882 (no.636).
Refs: ALEI, II, 612

Building: CO. GALWAY, TUAM, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1883-84
Nature: Works at same, incl. heating. For Most Rev. Dr John MacEvilly, Archbishop of Tuam. Builder: Joseph Kelly & Sons.
Refs: IAA, PKS B12/29, A07, p.218 (Dec 1884); IB 25, 15 Dec 1883, 398

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ECCLES STREET, MATER MISERICORDIAE HOSPITAL
Date: 1884-1886;1893
Nature: New wing and new chapel. Dedicated 24 Oct 1886. Contractor: Richard Toole, 21 Upper Dorset St.. Designs for oratory, &c. 1893.
Refs: Design exh RHA 1885, no. 539; IAA, PKS B12/22, B13/21, A07, pp.148,149,150 (Jul 1884-Nov 1886); IB 28, 1 Nov 1886, 300; diary of JLR Jun-Jul 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 281-2.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DORSET STREET UPPER, NO. 005-11 (ST SAVIOUR'S DOMINICAN PRIORY)
Date: 1884-1890
Nature: New buildings consisting of sacristy, 3 confrarnity rooms for sodalities attached to church, reception parlours, chapter room, community room, library, refectory, hospice, kitchen and bedrooms for 12 fathers and 8 lay brothers. FS laid by Dr Donnelly, Bishop of Canea, 26 Jul 1885. Builder: Richard Toole.
Refs: IAA, PKS B15/72 (missing), A07, p.159 (Jan 1892); Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; designs exh. RHA 1885, nos. 529,530,531, 1887, no. 490;  Building News 48,13 Mar 1885, 408(illus.);  IB 27, 1 Aug,15 Oct 1885, 212,283(illus.); 32, 1,15 Feb 1890, 32(illus.),44(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 134-5, Pl. 75.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DRUMCONDRA ROAD UPPER, ST PATRICK'S TRAINING COLLEGE (BELVIDERE HOUSE)
Date: 1884-85;1887
Nature: Adds., incl. kitchen wing, bell turret, proposed farm offices, 1884. Builder: Joseph Kelly & Son, Thomas St.. Amount of tender £6280.5.0. Further adds., 1887. Builder: Hammond
Refs: Diary of JLR.Mar 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS B11/69, B12/03, B13/27, A07, pp.206-7,264 (Mar 1884-Apr 1885, Mar 1887)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, TEMPLE ROAD, ST JOSEPH'S VINCENTIAN NOVITIATE
Date: 1886
Nature: Design exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1886, no. 553

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, VEVAY ROAD, LORETO CONVENT
Date: 1887
Nature: Proposed adds. Builder: Meade. Estimated cost: £3,800.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0657, B13/37, A07, p.110 (Jul,Aug 1887)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LORD EDWARD STREET, NO. 019
Date: 1887
Nature: Warehouse erected by Thomas Mayne, MP, in extension of his Castle St premises. Builder: Robert Farquharson, Jones's Road..
Refs: IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 294

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel. design exh. RHA.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; RHA 1888, no. 479

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CITY QUAY, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY (RC)
Date: 1888-1890
Nature: Tower at NW angle.
Refs: Clonliffe College archive, MS p1/2;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 453.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PORTLAND ROW, ST JOSEPH'S HOME
Date: 1889
Nature: FS of 'St Joseph's Asylum for Aged and Virtuous Females' laid 19 May 1889 by Dr Walsh, Archbishop of Dublin. Contractor: P.S. Larkin.
Refs: Transcript of text on ceremonial trowel used at laying FS in Jones file

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BALDOYLE, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1890
Nature: Pulpit.
Refs: Clonliffe College arhives, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLENAGEARY, MARLBOROUGH ROAD, RATHRUADH
Date: 1890
Nature: House for himself. (Called Rathruath - the red house - because of its red-tiled roof)
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554; perhaps 'villa at Glenageary' exh. RHA 1890, no. 508

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FLEET STREET, NO. 048 (TERENCE KELLY)
Date: 1890
Nature: New premises on corner of Fleet Street and Parliament Row, for Terence Kelly, pawnbroker, 'just rebuilt and opened', Aug 1890. Contractor: James Kiernan, Talbot St.
Refs: Irish Times, 22 Aug 1890 (long description).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, PEOPLE'S PARK
Date: 1890a
Nature: New park on site of former quarry. Opened 29 Sep 1890. Plans & specification by JLR asssited by W.G. Strype, township engineer. Various contractors, including George Dixon for Gate Lodge (£700.18s.11d).
Refs: Irish Times, 30 Sep 1890; IB 32, 1 Oct 1890, 230

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, ST MARY'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1891
Nature: New altar of Sicilian marble 'relieved by richly coloured marbles of rouge royal, Emperor's red and Mexican onyx' (Irish Times).  Eecuted by W.P. O'Neill, Great Brunswick St.
Refs: Irish Times, 27 Oct 1891; IB 33, 1 Nov 1891, 246.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DRUMCONDRA ROAD UPPER, ST PATRICK'S TRAINING COLLEGE (BELVIDERE HOUSE)
Date: 1891-94
Nature: New wing containing refectory, kitchens, hall, library and dormitory. At rightangles to existing building. Plans prepared in 1887 but execution delayed  Cornerstone laid by Archbishop Walsh, 26 Oct 1891. Builder: Richard Toole (£12,806).
Refs: IAA, PKS 0736, B15/38, B15/83, B16/04, A07, p.159 (May 1891); transcript in Jones file of inscription on ceremonial trowel used in laying of corner stone; obituary in Building News;  Irish Times, 27 Oct 1891.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, JAMES'S STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1891ca
Nature: Sacred Heart altar.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1891, no. 500

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CARYSFORT AVENUE, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1892-1895
Nature: Novitiate and chapel. Finished under supervision of G.L. O'Connor. Altars, 5 statues, &c. carried out by Edmund Sharp, Dublin. also kitchen. Contractor: Richard Toole &/or Mackey.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jan-Oct 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS B15/60, B16/06, A07, pp.159,161,165 (May 1892-Jul 1895); obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554; The Irish Catholic(quoted in E. Sharp's publicity brochure of 1920s, 78)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CARYSFORT AVENUE, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1892-1895
Nature: New industrial school. Builder: Richard Toole. Laundry added 1894-1895.
Refs: IAA, PKS B15/60, B16/13, A07, p.159,163,165 (May 1892-Jul 1895)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, CARYSFORT AVENUE, CONVENT OF MERCY NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1892-1895
Nature: New school. Contractor: Richard Toole.
Refs: IAA, PKS B15/60 (missing), B16/13, A07, pp.163,165 (May 1894-Jan 1896)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BERKELEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1892a
Nature: Improvements. Proposed new belfry.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jan 1893, 25 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IB 34, 15 May 1892, 117

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TEMPLEOGUE ROAD, TERENURE COLLEGE
Date: 1893
Nature: Adds. Builder: J. Mackey. Amount of tender, £6,830.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jan-Apr,Sep 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS B15/76 (missing), A07 (Feb 1893, p.435); obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. MEATH, BEAUPARC, CULLEN HOUSE
Date: 1893
Nature: Works at same for Mrs Thom (JLR presumably employed after dismissal of Anthony Scott).
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jan 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, ?, MONTEBELLO
Date: 1893
Nature: JLr prepares plans for Mr & Mrs Farley
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jan-Feb 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, MAIN STREET, NO. 011 (PATRICK NOLAN)
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR makes plans for same
Refs: Diary of JLR.Feb 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CONVENT AVENUE (FAIRVIEW), NO. 003 (ST VINCENT'S LUNATIC ASYLUM)
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR prepares designs for railings.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Feb, Jun 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIDGEFOOT STREET, NO. 007 & 008 (MCCOY)
Date: 1893
Nature: Plans for same, for Richard F. McCoy, coal and salt merchant.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Mar 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION, HOUSES
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR makes plans for same for - Donegan.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Jun-Jul 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. WICKLOW, WICKLOW, CURATE'S HOUSE
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR prepares plans for same.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Aug-Nov 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PALACE TERRACE (DRUMCONDRA), NO. 008
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR prepares plans for Emile Jugla of above address (were plans for this house?)
Refs: Diary of JLR.Aug-Nov 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST ANDREW'S STREET, NO. 008 (O'DONOHOE)
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR prepares plans for same for M. O'Donohoe, grocer and wine merchant. Also 'plans for a new house' for same..
Refs: Diary of JLR.Oct-Dec 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: ?, DONAGH, CHAPEL (RC)
Date: 1893
Nature: JLR prepares plans for 'Donagh chapel', Dec 1893.
Refs: Diary of JLR. Dec 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WHITEFRIAR STREET, ST PETER'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS (RC)
Date: 1893-1896
Nature: For Carmelite Fathers.Cornerstone laid 28 Oct 1894 (after JLR's death); building carried out under supervision of George Luke O'Connor. Contractor: Thomas Macken.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Feb-May 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); text of inscription on ceremonial trowel used at laying of cornerstone in Jones file; IB 36, 1 Nov 1894, 249; B 69, 24 Aug 1895, 141; Clonliffe College archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, SION HILL, ST CATHERINE'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Additions, including additions to chapel, studio, and laundry. Contractor: William Conolly & Son.
Refs: Diary of JLR Mar-Jun 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS 0732, B15/79, B16/12, A07 (May 1893, p.438); design for grille exh. RHA 1894, no. 442

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DRUMCONDRA ROAD UPPER, ST PATRICK'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Adds. & alts, including new sash windows. Completed by G.L. O'Connor. Contractor: Alderman Toole. Estimated cost: £2,771.
Refs: Diary of JLR.Aug 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS B15/83, B16/03, A07, p.161 (Oct 1893)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Designs for completion, involving erection of transepts and chancel arch (£7,000), sacristies, tower & spire (£10,000). For Very Rev. Monsignor Walsh. Contractor: James Kiernan, 100 Talbot St. Work continued after JLO's death by G. O'Connor.
Refs: Diary of JLR. 1893 (photocopy in IAA, Acc. 2006/011); IAA, PKS B15/85, B16/01, A07 (Jul 1892-Jan 1894, p.312-3); RHA 1894, no. 441;  Irish Times, 23 Jul 1894;  IB 36, 1 Aug 1894, 171; 37, 15 Jan 1895, 13

Building: CO. DUBLIN, PORTRANE, LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1894
Nature: 'At the time of his death he was engaged upon designs to be submitted in the forthcoming select competition for the big asylum ...at Portrane'.
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DORSET STREET UPPER, NO. 081-84 (ST JOSEPH'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1894-1895
Nature: Completed under supervision of G.L. O'Connor. FS laid by Archbishop Walsh 25 Nov 1894. Contractor: James Kiernan, Talbot St. Estimated cost £3,000.
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554; copy of inscription on ceremonial trowel in Jones file; Clonliffe College archive, MS p1/2; IB 36, 1 Dec 1894, 265;  Irish Times, 15 Oct 1895.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRANGEGORMAN, RICHMOND LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1894a
Nature: JLR was preparing plans for large extension at time of his death.
Refs: Undated designs for new wings to rear of square formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. MAYO, NEWPORT, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOOTERSTOWN, INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET LOWER, NO. 064 (FEMALE TRAINING COLLEGE)
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DOLPHIN'S BARN, SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DOMINICK STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: ?
Nature: Addition of sacristy.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST VINCENT STREET (GOLDENBRIDGE), INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLENAGEARY, HOUSES
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary in Building News 67, 19 Oct 1894, 554

Author Title Date Details
Robinson, John Loftus 'Architectural Perspective' 1873 IB 15, 15 Jan 1873, 20-22; extract in B 31, 25 Jan 1873, 63-664. (Paper read to AAI, 9 Jan 1873.)
Robinson, John Loftus 'Architectural Students' 1874 IB 16, 15 Mar 1874, 88, and Architect 11, 21 Mar 1874, 169. (Paper read to AAI, 26 Feb 1874.)
Robinson, John Loftus 'Celtic remains in England' 1891 JRSAI 21 (1890-91), 31
Robinson, John Loftus 'Notes on the Photographic Survey' 1893 JRSAI 23 (1893), 295