Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Cork. Michael Augustine Riordan, who was born in Doneraile in 1783,(1) became a Presentation Brother in 1812 or 1814. T.F. McNamara suggests that he must have received an architectural training before he joined the order; according to the same source, he was consulted by Bishop Moylan and his successor Bishop Murphy about all the monastic buildings, schools and churches in the Diocese of Cork. Riordan founded the South Presentation Monastery in Douglas Street, Cork, where he also lived.  According to Coombes, he died in January 1848.(2)

See WORKS



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Rev. James Coombes, 'Catholic Churches of the Nineteenth Century: some newspaper sources', JCHAS 81 (Part 1, Jan-Jun 1975), 3-4, citing T.J. McNamara, 'Francis Michael Augustine Riordan, Architect', Cork Evening Echo, 11 May 1962, 5, and from T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981). 156-8, 182, who also reproduces a portrait of Riordan.  Another biography of Riordan is in J. Matthew Feheney, Gentlemen of the Presentation:  brief biographies of twenty-five Presentation Brothers, 1762-1999 (Dublin: Veritas, 1999), 11-17 (information from the Rev. James O'Brien).


(1) Information from Eamon Hederman, May 2006 (to be confirmed).
(2) A will, dated October 1848 is listed in Enneclan Index of Irish Wills 1484-1858,  Ref: Char1/14/p81;  the date would appear to belie Coombes's statement that Riordan died in January 1848.  Possibly Oct 1848 is the date the will was proved;  alternatively the Rev. James O'Brien has suggested (e-mail of 23 Aug, 2010) that this could be the will of Michael Augustine Riordan's nephew  Pierce, who also took the name of Augustine when he joined the Presentation Brothers in 1838.


8 work entries listed in chronological order for RIORDAN, MICHAEL AUGUSTINE (REV.)


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, BLACKROCK, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1819-1824?
Nature: New church. FS laid 7 Jun 1819 by William Beamish, assisted by William Crawford and C. Barrington; 'begun at...private expense of...Dean Collins, aided by a subscription of £300, and...completed...by means of a bequest of £1100 from ... T. Rochford Esq. of Garretstown.' of which part spent on new priest's house, 1834. (Demolished after fire, 1962)
Refs: Francis H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork Remembrancer (Cork, 1837),  (1837), 267; S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 209; J. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 156-8(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, BLACKROCK, CONVENT ROAD, URSULINE CONVENT
Date: 1824-1825
Nature: Addition of 2 3-storey wings and chapel to convent (of c.1810). FS laid 8 Jun 1824. (Attached Industrial School opened during famine in1847)
Refs: F.H. Tuckey, The County and City of Cork remembranced (1837), 214; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 157; Cork Almanac (1888)

Building: CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1826
Nature: New church, designed by MAR.
Refs: Information from Eamonn Hederman, May 2006; see also http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?page=5&t=4691 (2008)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, DOUGLAS STREET, SOUTH PRESENTATION MONASTERY SCHOOL
Date: 1828
Nature: Schoo, opened 1828, designed by MAR.
Refs: Cork Evening Echo, 11 May 1962, 5

Building: CO. CORK, BANTRY, CHURCH OF ST FINBAR (RC)
Date: 1832ca
Nature: 'large RC chapel erected at an expense of £2500' (Lewis); grant of £500 from Board of Works, 1847c, to Rev. Thomas Barry for enlargement.
Refs: S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 233; 15th Annual Report of the Board of Public Works in Ireland (1847), 26; J. Windele, Historical and Descriptive Notices of the City of Cork (1849), ?; Rev. James Coombes, 'Catholic Churches of the Nineteenth Century: some newspaper sources', JCHAS 81 (Part 1, Jan-Jun 1975), 4,7; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 158

Building: CO. CORK, DUNMANWAY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1834
Nature: Designed by M.A.R. for Rev. James Doheny, PP; 'in progress of erection at an estimated expense of £2500' Lewis); loan of £200 from Board of Works, 1847c, for erection of galleries.
Refs: S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), I, 586; 15th Annual Report of the Board of Public Works in Ireland (1847), 26; Richard J. Hodges, Cork and County Cork in the Twentieth Century (1911), 90; Rev. James Coombes, 'Catholic Churches of the Nineteenth Century: some newspaper sources', JCHAS 81 (Part 1, Jan-Jun 1975), 4; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 158

Building: CO. CORK, KINSALE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST (RC)
Date: 1834
Nature: Designed by M.A.R. Erected by subscription.
Refs: S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 233; Rev. James Coombes, 'Catholic Churches of the Nineteenth Century: some newspaper sources', JCHAS 81 (Part 1, Jan-Jun 1975), 4; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 158

Building: CO. CORK, MILLSTREET, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1835ca
Nature: Designed by M.A.R.
Refs: S. Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 370; Rev. James Coombes, 'Catholic Churches of the Nineteenth Century: some newspaper sources', JCHAS 81 (Part 1, Jan-Jun 1975), 4,11; T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 158