QUILTON, EDWARD TANKERVILLE
- Born: 1842c Died: -
County surveyor for Co. Roscommon, 1876-1877, and Carlow, 1877-1910. Edward Tankerville Quilton, son of Edward Quilton, 'Private Gent' (see EDWARD QUILTON ), was admitted to Trinity College, Dublin, on 1 July 1858 at the age of sixteen.(1) He obtained the BA degree in 1862 and the Licentiate in Civil Engineering in 1864.(2) Having gained first place in the county surveyor examinations of 1876, he was appointed county surveyor for Co. Roscommon, following the retirement of JOHN KELLY . In August 1877 he was transferred to Co. Carlow at his own request, following the resignation of JOHN C. BOWER. T he county council objected to the fact that he chose to live in Dublin and demanded that he keep a diary to record his inspections. Quilton considered it 'an indignity to ask him to keep such a diary now after his long period of service'.(3) He remained in the post until December 1910, when he resigned 'partly on the ground of ill-health and partly on account of the attitude of the County Council towards him' and returned to Dublin. He was succeeded by JOHN PHILIP PUNCH.
Quilton lived in retirement at his house in Rathmines for a further ten years, dying on 26 April 1920 at the age of seventy-eight. He was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery with his two wives, Laura (d.1912) and Kathleen Marianne (d.1914). According to the 1911 census, he had no children.
Addresses:(5) 24 Leinster Road, Rathmines, 1874; 9 Royal Terrace West, Dun Laoghaire, 1875; 24 Leinster Road, Rathmines, <=1877 until death.
(1) G.D. Burtchaell & T.U. Sadleir, eds., Alumni Dublinenses (1935), supplement, p.99.
(2) R.C. Cox, compiler, Trinity College School of Engineering: 'Graduates' in Engineering 1843-1992 (1993), unpaginated.
(3) IB 52, 24 Dec 1910, 777 (see also 799).
(6) See note 5, above.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for QUILTON, EDWARD TANKERVILLE
|Building:||CO. CARLOW, CARLOW, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM|
|Nature:||Programme of improvements. New laundry buildings &c., 1893 Contractor: Pemberton. installation of boilers, 1894; repairs, 1896 (or 7?), adds. & alts., 1897, &c. Further works, 1898.
|Refs:||IAA, PKS 0737, 0768, B15/84, B16/28, B17/41, B18/03, B19/34, A07 (May 1893-Apr 1895, p.446); IB 36, 1 Oct 1894, 229; Irish Times, 23 Mar 1898; 46th Report on district, criminal and private lunatic asylums (1897), 19.|