Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural sculptors, of Belfast, active from the opening of the twentieth century until the 1930s or later. Purdy is presumably the same person as 'Purdy, jr' who executed the sculpture on JOHN LANYON' JOHN LANYON' s warehouse at Donegall Square and Adelaide Place, in 1875.(1) Could his partner, Millard, possibly be the same person as William Millard, son of the Dublin builder THOMAS MILLARD THOMAS MILLARD , who exhibited busts at the Royal Hibernian Academy between 1868 and 1879 and was later associated with the College of Technology in Kevin Street?(2) See also PURDY & PURDY & amp; OUTHWAITE.  OUTHWAITE.

See WORKS.



References



(1) IB 17, 15 Jun 1875, 165.
(2) See W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 108,


17 work entries listed in chronological order for PURDY & MILLARD *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE SOUTH, NO. 001-3 (PRESTON SMYTH & CO. AND JOHN PRESTON & CO)
Date: 1875
Nature: Sculpture by 'Purdy, jr.'
Refs: IB 17, 15 Jan,15 Jun 1875, 17,165

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (RC)
Date: 1875p
Nature: Roof carved by P. & M, 'who also formed the stonedwork of the arcades' (Mulligan).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 464.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CHURCH SQUARE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1879p
Nature: Monument to Henry Lloyd (d. 1879) in N gallery.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 466.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, MALL (& RUSSELL STREET), PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1ST, NEW)
Date: 1890p;1917p
Nature: Monuments to Rev. Jackson Smyth (d. 1890) and Douglas St George Morrison (d.1917).
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 117.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DUNCAIRN GARDENS, CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS (CI)
Date: 1891-92
Nature: Pulpit by Purdy & Millard.
Refs: IB 35, 1 Jan 1893, 11

Building: CO. DONEGAL, LETTERKENNY, CATHEDRAL OF ST EUNAN (RC)
Date: 1901a
Nature: Carving inside great arch of nave, perhaps carried out by Daniel Gilliland.
Refs: IB 44, 13 Jan 1902, 1021; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 342; Paul Larmour, The Arts and Crafts Movement in Ireland (1992), 128(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE WEST, NO. 001-11 (SCOTTISH PROVIDENT INSURANCE BUILDINGS)
Date: 1902a
Nature: Carving by Purdy & Millard.
Refs: B 83, 14 Nov 1902, 454; IB 47, ? ? 1905, 194; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 70; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 121,136(illus.)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DONEGALL SQUARE WEST, NORTHERN BANK
Date: 1903a
Nature: Carving by Purdy & Millard.
Refs: Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 121

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1904a
Nature: 'framework' of Lady Altar.
Refs: Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), 27?

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, STEWARTSTOWN ROAD, TRENCH HOUSE
Date: 1905
Nature: Chapel and vaults, for Hamill family designed by Charles McAlister and executed by Purdy & Millard.
Refs: IB 47, ? ? 1905, 194

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FISHERWICK PLACE, PRESBYTERIAN ASSEMBLY BUILDING
Date: 1905a
Nature: Carving on upper floors by Purdy & Millard (excluding carving around entrances and on ground storey and portrait of John Knox indoors which is by J. Edgar Winter).
Refs: IB 47, ? ? 1905, 194; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 70; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 66 (no.150); Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993),146,171(illus.)

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (CI, DRUMGLASS PARISH)
Date: 1910
Nature: Improvements to chancel, including new reredos, sanctuary tiling, oak choir stalls, new communion rail.
Refs: C.W. Monteith, History of the parish of Drumglass (n.d.), 17;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 258

Building: CO. ANTRIM, HANNAHSTOWN, GLEN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST TERESA (RC)
Date: 1911
Nature: High altar, pulpit & font: Purdy & Millard, Belfast.
Refs: IB 53, 28 Oct 1911, 722; Building News 101, 3 Nov 1911, 636

Building: CO. ANTRIM, JORDANSTOWN, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI)
Date: 1912
Nature: Pair of reading desks.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of County Antrim (UAHS, 1996), 24(illus.),68.

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWTOWNARDS, BOWLING GREEN, WAR MEMORIAL
Date: 1934a
Nature: 25 ft high obelisk, with carved emblems(?) of Peace and Justice.
Refs: IB 76, 10 Feb 1934, 98

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, ST JOHN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: Reredos, altar and communion screen by P & M.
Refs: IB 47, ? ? 1905, 194

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, MALONE ROAD, NO. 048 (FISHERWICK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH)
Date: ?
Nature: Pulpit by P & M.
Refs: IB 47, ? ? 1905, 194