Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural partnership formed between EDWARD WELBY PUGIN EDWARD WELBY PUGIN , of 5 Gordon Square, London, and his assistant GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN  GEORGE COPPINGER ASHLIN in 1860. Ashlin opened an office at 90 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, in the same year(1) and managed the firm's Irish business. The partnership was dissolved in the latter months of 1868, not long after Ashlin's marriage to Pugin's sister Mary in 1867.(2) The extent of Pugin's involvement in the design of the Irish projects has not been fully established;(3) The Dublin Builder asserted in 1861 that 'Mr Ashlin, though associated with a gentleman of very high attainments, and, moreover, the son of the late A. Welby Pugin, is, as we learn, entitled to the exclusive merit for the design of the Irish works of that firm; for instance, SS Peter and Paul's church, Cork, and the Augustinian Church and monastery about to be erected at John Street in this city',(4) a claim which, at least in the case of SS Peter and Paul's, seems improbable. It is more likely that Pugin involved himself in the major projects and gave Ashlin sole responsibility for the smaller works. Pupils and assistants in Pugin & Ashlin's Dublin office included TIMOTHY HEVEY.  TIMOTHY HEVEY.

Address: 90 St Stephen's Green South, also, in 1866 only, Ely Place.(4)

See WORKS.



References

For a study of this partnership, see Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 55-62.

(1) It first appears in Thom's Directory for 1861 and thus had presumably been established by the end of 1860.
(2) According to Alexandra Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 118, it was dissolved in 1870; however the biography of Ashlin in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 263, which is presumably based on information provided by Ashlin himself, gives the date as 1868; by September 1869 Pugin's representative in Ireland is named as 'Mr Collingridge Barnett' (IB 11, 1 Sep 1869, 205); the collaboration appears to have continued in the case of Cobh cathedral, as a design for the West window the IAA (Acc. 76/1.1/C1) is inscribed 'Pugin and Ashlin Archts. Jany 1873'.
(3) The partnership forms the subject of Mildred Dunne's forthcoming (Oct 2001) MA thesis for the Department of the History of Art, Trinity College, Dublin.
(4) DB 3, 15 Jul 1861, 565.
(5) See DB 8, 1 Jul,15 Aug,15 Nov 1866, 166,202,270.


39 work entries listed in chronological order for PUGIN & ASHLIN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, CHURCH OF SS AUGUSTINE & JOHN (RC)
Date: 1860-1875
Nature: New church, 'by far the most important eclesiastical work erected in Dublin since the Reformation' (Buildng News). Design exh. by Pugin at RA, 1860.  FS laid by Archbp. Cullen Easter Monday 1862; building suspended for want of funds, 1864; 'partially completed' by Dec 1866.'Nearing completion', Dec 1871. Builder: Meade & Son, Gt Brunswick St. Cross, cresting and bannerets for spire completed by Fagan & Son, Jul 1870. Dedicated 24 Aug 1875. Completion contemplated, 1884.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.82/10,13; photographs of perspective drawings of exterior and interior in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (RIBA, 1977), 119; design exh. Exhibition of Fine & Ornamental Arts, Dublin, 1861, no. 268; for payments see transcript made, 1962, by Father F.X. Martin of extracts (relating to Augustinian order only) from Ashlin cash book then in possession of ?Herbert Thomas Coleman (transcript in IAA, RP.B.53.1); RA 1860, no. 657; B 18, 26 May 1860, 328; 29, 16 Dec 1871, 991-2;  Building News 21,  24 Nov 1871, 388-390 (illus.; E.W. Pugin named as architect in illustration);  DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 266; 3, 15 May,15 Jun,15 Jul 1861, 507(illus.),536,577; 4, 1 Mar,1 May 1862, 58,112; 5, 15 Feb 1863, 33; 8, 15 Jun,15 Nov,15 Dec 1866, 161,270,294(illus.);  IB 17, 1 Sep 1875, 248; 26, 15 Feb 1884, 46;  design exh. by EWP at Architectural Exhibition, London, 1866, see Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 29, 1 Jun 1866, 155;   Freeman's Journal, 19,23 Jul 1870;18 Feb 1878;  Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 57(illus.); Paul Tritton, 'The church of St John and St Augustine, Dublin', Church Building 18 (Summer, 1991), 49-50(illus)(account of rewtoration by Ashlin Coleman Heelan & Partners);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 627-8, Pl. 73.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, CATHEDRAL (RC, PROPOSED)
Date: 1860?
Nature: Proposed cathedral and presbytery. Unexecuted.
Refs: Photographs of 3 undated perspective drawings in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 119; see Ecclesiologist 21, Jun 1860, 175

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1860s?
Nature: Design for chapel
Refs: Undated perspective drawing of interior in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 119;

Building: CO. WEXFORD, BALLYMURN, CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION & ST MALACHY (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: Mortuary chapel in granite, Portland and Caen stone being erected to memory of 'late Mr Meagher[Maher]'.. 12 x 9 ft. Builders: Hardman & Co. (See also J. Ryan.)
Refs: DB 3, 15 Apr 1861, 486; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 58;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 64(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, CARRICKBRENNAN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1861-66
Nature: New church in 'French Pointed' style for Fr. James Cavanagh. Builder: Michael Meade, Gt Brunswick St (contract signed 30 Dec 1863). To cost £6,000. Halt in building between autumn 1864 and autumn 1865 because of death of Fr. Cavanagh. Consecrated 15 Sep 1866. (Design attr. to Ashlin by Donnelly)
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.170/1-3; Clonliffe College Archive, MS 23/9; DB 7, 1 Dec 1865, 280 (illus.); 8, 1 Sep 1866, 212; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 162; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 57-58

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, BISHOP STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST FINN BARRE (CI)
Date: 1862
Nature: P & A competition entrants?
Refs: RA 1863, no. 935; DB 5, 15 May 1863, 85

Building: CO. WEXFORD, LADY'S ISLAND, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1862-64
Nature: New. Contractor: Richard Pierce. Bricks donated by John Hyacinth Talbot of Ballybrent. FS laid 11 May 1863. Opened 15 Aug 1864.
Refs: DB 5, 1 May 1863, 79; undated design for pulpit in IAA, Ashln & Coleman Collection, 76/1.201; Wexford Independent, 16 Aug 1862,15 Aug 1864 (information kindly supplied by Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 58-59;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 113(illus.).

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ANNACURRA (AUGHRIM), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1863
Nature: Stained glass E. window, 1864a (executed by McCann, Middle Abbey St, Dublin). Design presented by John Hyacinth Talbot,
Refs: Wexford Independent, 14 Jan 1863; The People, 26 Mar 1864 (information from newspapers kindly supplied by Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow);

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STILLORGAN ROAD (DONNYBROOK), CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1863-66
Nature: New. FS laid 12 Jun 1863. Opened 26 Aug 1866. Granite with Whitehouse sandstone dressings. Cost about £7,000. Builder: Michael Meade, Gt Brunswick St. Ironwork by Fagan, Gt. Brunswick St, except cross on apse by Skidmore of Coventry.
Refs: Elevation, sections, design for benches in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.79; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; DB 5, 15 Jun 1863, 106; 6, 1 Jan 1864, 6; 8, 15 Aug 1866, 202(illus.); N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 62-63; Capuchin Annual (1959), 89; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 57-58

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, O'CONNELL MONUMENT
Date: 1864-1865
Nature: P & A entrants in 1st competition with design in 'ancient Irish or Runic style'.
Refs: Design exh. Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufactures 1865, no. 164;  Freeman's Journal, 2 Mar 1865 (design described)..


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, O'CONNELL MONUMENT
Date: 1864-1865
Nature: P & A entrants in 1st competition with design in 'ancient Irish or Runic style'.
Refs: Design exh. Dublin International Exhibition of Art & Manufactures 1865, no. 164;  Freeman's Journal, 2 Mar 1865 (design described)..


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WILLIAM STREET NORTH, ST VINCENT DE PAUL FEMALE ORPHANAGE
Date: 1865
Nature: FS laid 5 Nov 1863. Builder: R. McCormack.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Nov 1865, 276; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 141..

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DALKEY, DALKEY HILL, HOUSE
Date: 1865
Nature: 'A pretty cottage with six rooms, each 14 feet by 13 feet, beautifully situated on Dalkey Hill with full view of Dublin Bay. Messrs. Pugin and Ashlin Architects. Gardens in front and rere. Lease for ever, and rent free.'
Refs: Advertisement in Freeman's Journal, 30 May,1,4,6,7,9 Jun 1865.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, KILLANERIN, CHURCH OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1865-1872;1890
Nature: New church. Gothic with tower and spire at SW angle. FS laid 29 Jun 1865. Opened 1872. Estimated cost £1,500. Spire added, 1890.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Aug 1865, 198(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 58(illus.),59;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 84.

Building: CO. KERRY, LISTOWEL, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1865-66
Nature: Extension to W. New W front with tower & spire, interior porch with organ loft, rose window. Local limestone with Kanturk limestone dressings. Columns at entrance of Aberdeen granite. Contractor: James Scanlan, Elgin Rd, Dublin. Wrought iron cross designed by architects & executed by Hodges & Son, Westmoreland St.
Refs: Undated watercolour perspective view of W front (draughtsman: T. Hevey) in sale at James Adam, St Stephen's Green, Dublin, 1st Dec 2009, lot 194; em>DB 7, 15 Oct 1865, 251; 8, 15 Jun 1866, 160

Building: CO. CORK, CLONAKILTY, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1865-66;1869;1879
Nature: New chapel. Lombardic style adopted 'as being more in harmony with the existing building'. FS laid 4 Apr 1866. 1st mass, 21 Apr 1867. Dedicated 1 May 1867. Contractor: P. Scannell, Cork. Estimated cost: £1,600.
Refs: Details of choir and design for stalls, 1869, and design for entrance gates & railings, 1879, in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1/26; DB 7, 1 Dec 1865, 286; 8, 1 Jul 1866, 166,170(illus.); Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), ?; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing letter from convent archivist.

Building: CO. CORK, FERMOY, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1865-67
Nature: Adds., including tower & spire, & alts. Builder: Newstead, Fermoy. Cost: £2,500.
Refs: DB 7, 1 Dec 1865, 286; IB 9, 1 Aug 1867, 194 (illus.)

Building: CO. LAOIS, ARLESS, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1865-68
Nature: Dedicated 24 May 1868 by Dr Walsh, Bishop of Kildare. Contractor: James Scanlon. Cost: £3,500.
Refs: Drawing of details of benches in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.172; DB 7, 15 Dec 1865, 292(illus.); IB 10, 1 Jun 1868, 143; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 16(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GOATSTOWN, MOUNT ANNVILLE ROAD, MOUNT ANVILLE, CONVENT OF THE SACRED HEART
Date: 1866
Nature: Extensive new buildings for nuns of Sacré Coeur.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Jun 1866, 160; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, ROSS ROAD (FERRYBANK), CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1866-67
Nature: Proposed new church, to be erected at sole expense of Sir Henry Page Turner Barron, 2nd Bt. Tower only being erected at present. Body of existing church to be replaced later. Tower walls carried down to form Barron family vault. Contractor: James Scanlon, Elgin Rd, Dublin; information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing  http://www.ferrybankparish.com/history/index.htm
Refs: Drawings, 1866-7, in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.94/28,40,41,42; DB 8, 1 Jul 1866, 166(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59

Building: CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1866-67
Nature: New Early Decorated Gothic chapel with cloister. Existing chapel to be turned into lateral choir, separated from chapel by arcade with iron screens. FS laid 8 May 1867 by Rt. Rev. Dr O'Hea, Bishop of Ross. Ded. 30 Apr1868. Contractor: William Murphy, Bantry. Cost: £1,500. (Closed, 2003.)
Refs: DB 8, 1 Nov 1866, 268; IB 9, 15 May,15 Aug 1867, 127,208,209(illus.); 10, 1 Jun 1868, 142; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing letter from Sisters of Mercy archivist, 3 Oct 2008.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, GLASTHULE, GLASTHULE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1866-67
Nature: New church, for Very Rev. - Harold. Builder: James McCormack. Estimated cost: £5237.3s.5d. FS laid 30 May 1867. Consecrated 10 Oct 1869.
Refs: Undated aerial perspectives and design for pulpit in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.76/1.98; DB 8, 1 Oct 1866, 243; IB 9, 1,15 Apr,1 Jun 1867, 90,94(illus.),140; 11, 15 Oct 1869, 237 (where given to GCA); Architect 2, 23 Oct 1869, 206; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 57-58;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing Stephen Welsh Papers on EW Pugin (1975) in RIBA Collection, Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1866-71
Nature: New church. FS laid 1866. Estimated cost about £6,000. Opened 1871. Contractor: Thomas Crosbie. Spire e 'progressing rapidly' in 1868 but never completed..
Refs: Undated perspective view from W in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.160/1; DB 3, 1 Jul 1861, 564; 8, 15 Mar,1 May 1866, 72(illus.),112(illus.); 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233; R. Hayward, Kingdom of Kerry (1970), ?; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 58;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, FORE, GREVILLE/NUGENT MAUSOLEUM
Date: 1867
Nature: Restoration & new chantry for Lady Rosa Greville nearing completion. Contractor: Sibthorpe & Son, Great Brunswick Street.
Refs: IB 9, 1 Oct 1867, 263; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 295; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 58

Building: CO. WATERFORD, DUNGARVAN, EMMET STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1867
Nature: New marble altar of St Joseph with front panel representing marriage of St Joseph. Presented by J. Dower, Esq., JP, Dungarvan. Cost £200. Sculptor: Scannell, Douglas St, Cork.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Feb 1867, 44(illus.)

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, KING STREET, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' SCHOOL & CONVENT
Date: 1867
Nature: New. Lombardo-Gothic. FS laid 19 Apr 1867. Opened 29 Mar 1868. Builder: Thomas Connolly, West St, Drogheda.
Refs: Undated perspectives of exterior in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.45/1,2; IB 9, 15 Mar,1 Oct 1867, 72(illus.),262; 10, 1 Apr 1868, 89; George Henry Bassett, Louth County Guide and Directory (1886), 113; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 242; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60

Building: CO. CORK, KINSALE, CONVENT OF MERCY INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
Date: 1867-1869
Nature: Orphanage building added to convent. FS laid 24 Jun 1867;  registered as industrial school, 19 Nov 1869. (Closed, 1969 and now demolished.)
Refs: Information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing e-mail from Sisters of Mercy archivist, 23 Jan 2009.

Building: CO. CORK, MONKSTOWN, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART (RC)
Date: 1867-1873
Nature: New French Gothic church. To cost £3,000. FS laid 1870. Finished 1872-73. Spire completed 1881. (Letter from J. Burns, a parishioner, to Dr Gerard Hyland states that church was opened in 1871 and spire built 1876-77.)
Refs: Undated drawing and copies of perspective view (1867) in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, Acc. 76/1.129/1-4;  IB 9, 1 Oct,1 Dec 1867, 263,308 (illus.); JCHAS (1927), 96; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland.

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1867-1878
Nature: New cathedral on site of old chapel. Excavations begun Summer 1868. FS laid by Bishop William Keane, 15 Jul 1868.  Cornerstone laid 30 Sep. 1868. Builder: Michael Meade, Gt Brunswick St.Clerk of works: Charles Guilfoyle Doran. Walls 'now nearly finished and rady for the roof', Feb 1878, by which time building had cost £73,000. .
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.1-3; further drawings in Cloyne Diocesan Archive, Cobh; copy of design for carvings, 1911, originally in possession of Charles Guilfoyle Doran, in Cork City Archives, U278;  IB 9, 15 Aug,1 Nov 1867, 215,282,284; 10, 15 Jul,1 Sep,15 Oct 1868, 182,220,247; 11, 1 Feb 1869, 36-37; 16, 15 Jan,1 Oct 1874, 17,275; B 25, 12,26 Oct 1867, 753-4,786; 26, 15 Jul,5 Dec 1868, 182,901; 16, 15 Jan,1 Oct 1874, 17,275;  Freeman's Journal, 4  Feb 1878;  Register of Visitation of Bishop William Keane, Cloyne Diocesan Archives, Cobh (information from Mgr James O'Brien, Buttevant, co. Cork,Aug 2010); RA 1878, nos. 1091,1114; photograph of proposed front elevation in RIBA drawings collection, see A. Wedgwood, Catalogue of the Drawings Collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects: the Pugin Family (1977), 118-9, and British Architectural Library Catalogue, http://riba.sirsidynix.net.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/KyMs8hfgef/MAIN_CAT/124810006/13 (last visited Apr, 2009); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 60-61(illus.);  for a discussion of the cathedral, see Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathdral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 233-265(illus.).

Building: CO. CORK, BALLYHOOLY, CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN (RC)
Date: 1867-69
Nature: New. For Rev. Mr Burton. Architects 'obliged to adopt a simple and severe...treatment of their design, as the funds at their disposal have been so limited - only £1,5000 being allowed'. Dedicated 22 Aug 1869 by Bishop of Cloyne, but funds still required to finish internal decoration.
Refs: IB 9, 15 May 1867, 120(illus.),121; 11, 1 Sep 1869, 202; B 27, 4 Sep 1869, 713; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 499; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59(illus.)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1868
Nature: Building of tower and spire progressing. Builder: Thomas Crosbie.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GLENEALY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1868
Nature: New church being built, for Very Rev. Dr Thomas O'Carroll, PP, Ashford. Architect probably Ashlin. Cruciform. External chiselled granite dressings by John Brady of Ballyknockan quarries. Built under direction of resident clerk of works. FS laid 19 Mar 1868. Dedicated 4 Oct 1869. Cost: £4,000.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p.1/2; IB 10, 1 May,1 Nov 1868, 117,268(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59;  information from Dr Gerard Hyland, citing Stephen Welsh Papers on EW Pugin (1975) in RIBA Collection, Victoria & Albert Museum, London.

Building: CO. CORK, MONKSTOWN, PRESBYTERY
Date: 1868
Nature: 'about to be built' for Dr Henry Neville, PP.
Refs: IB 10, 1 May ,1 Jun 1868, 117,136(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BERKELEY STREET (NEAR)
Date: 1868
Nature: 9-acre site at head of Berkeley St and Eccles St on Mountjoy Estate purchased by company of gentlemen and laid out in building sites by P & A.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Jul 1868, 182

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HAMPTON CARMELITE CONVENT
Date: 1868
Nature: New convent chapel.
Refs: IB 10, 1 Aug 1868, 195; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 59

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TYRCONNELL ROAD (INCHICORE), NATIONAL SCHOOL FOR BOYS
Date: 1868
Nature: Proposed national school for boys.
Refs: Drawings (site plan, plans, sections, elevations and details) in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.223.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARRINGTON STREET, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (RC)
Date: 1868-1872
Nature: P & A winners of limited competition between themselves and W.F. Caldbeck.. Contractor: Michael Meade. Dedicated St Kevin's Day, 3 Jun 1872, by Cardinal Cullen.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.62; Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 10, 1,15 Jul 1868, 161,182; 12, 1 Jan 1870, 4; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 117; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin', in J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, (RIAI, 1989), 57-58;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 630, Pl.76..

Building: CO. KILKENNY, SNOW HILL
Date: ?
Nature: Small domestic chapel for Mrs Power (presumably Jane (née Sherlock), wife of Nicholas O'Neill Power, see LGI (1904), 495).
Refs: Undated drawing (plan and sections) for design for a domestic chapel  in IAA,  Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.217.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JOHN'S LANE WEST, NO. 015 (ELLIOTT & CO.)
Date: ?
Nature: P & A pid 5% architects' commission on expenditure of £600 on Elliot's warehouse (in connection with building of Augustinian Church next door)
Refs: Transcript made, 1962, by Father F.X. Martin of extracts (relating to Augustinian order only) from Ashlin cash book then in possession of Herbert Thomas Coleman(?) (transcript in Jones file)

Author Title Date Details
O'dwyer, Frederick 'A Victorian Partnership - the architecture of Pugin & Ashlin' 1989 J. Graby, ed.,150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: the Royal Institute of the Architects of Ireland 1839-1989, 55-62.