PLAW, JOHN #
- Born: 1745 Died: 1820
English architect and author of pattern books, for whom see Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (3rd edn., 1995), 761-762. Wyatt Papworth alleged in his biography of his brother, John B. Papworth, architect to the king of Wurtenberg (1879), that Plaw's books were the only ones used in Ireland.(1) At the Royal Academy in 1779 Plaw exhibited a 'Design for a bridge over the River Suir from the city of Waterford to the County of Kilkenny in Ireland' (no. 238) and in his Rural Architecture (1785 &c.) published a 'Design made for - Scott Esqr. of Ireland' (Pls. 44-5).(2) A connection with the Earl of Clanbrassill is indicated in his Ferme Ornée, or Rural Improvements (1785,1813).(3)
See WORKS for Irish work only..
(1) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(2) The house as shown in one of the elevations is on the shore of a harbour; possibly Coolmain (as opposed to Coolmain Castle) on Courtmacsherry harbour, Co. Cork.
(3) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for PLAW, JOHN #
|Building:||CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, BRIDGE OVER RIVER SUIR|
|Nature:||JP exhibits design at RA. Unexecuted.|
|Refs:||RA 1779, no. 238|