Engineer. Travers Henry Falkiner, second son of Captain Richard Falkiner, of Mount Falcon, Borrisokane, Co. Tipperary, was born at Mount Falcon in July 1829. He entered Trinity College, Dublin, in 1845 but left the following year to become a pupil of GEORGE WILLOUGHBY HEMANS , Chief Engineer of the Midland Great Western Railway. Under Hemans he worked as resident engineer on the Athlone and Ballinasloe section of the Midland Great Western Railway, and subsequently on other extensions of the system. In 1854 he moved with Hemans to London, and, when Hemans retired through ill-health in 1872, formed a partnership with his son-in-law Sir THOMAS TANCRED , under the name of Falkiner & Tancred. In 1878 the partners were contracted to lay out the Lismore to Dungarvan section of the Waterford, Dungarvan & Lismore Railway; this included the construction of a bridge over the Blackwater at Cappoquin. After this most of Falkiner's undertakings were in Ireland; these included the waterworks at Waterford and Wexford, the railway from Newcastle West, Co. Limerick, to Tralee, Co. Kerry, the Fenit Railway in conjunction with the construction of an artificial harbour at Fenit, the Farranfore to Killorglin line, which included a large viaduct across the River Laune, the Ballina and Killala line, the Killorglin, Cahirciveen and Valentia line, the Headford to Kenmare line, the Rathmines and Rathgar Waterworks, the Pembroke township drainage and the Rathangan arterial drainage. Towards the end of his life he was engaged in developing the Parnell Quarries at Arklow, and his final work was the Drumcondra Link Line. This was in progress at the time of his death, which occurred at home in Dublin, after a brief illness, on 29 October 1897. According to his obituarist, he was a very modest man, who displayed a 'high sense of honour and justice, which went hand in hand with an unbounded generosity devoid of the slightest tinge of ostentation'. He looked after his workmen well and consequently enjoyed their regard and loyal support.
Inst.CE: elected member, 12 January 1864.
Address: 9 Upper Merrion Street, <=1896 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of Falkiner in Min.Proc.Inst.CE 131 (1897-1898, Pt.I), 364-367.
Post Office Directory (1896).