PHILLIPS, JOHN DOMVILLE
- Born: - Died: 1884?
John Domville Phillips, of Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, was elected an associate of the RIAI on 21 May 1868, having been proposed by WILLIAM JOSEPH WELLAND and WILLIAM GILLESPIE , architects to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and seconded by JAMES RAWSON CARROLL and JAMES EDWARD ROGERS. (1) He appears to have been a regional assistant or agent to WELLAND & amp; GILLESPIE in the diocese of Lismore. There are three letters from him to Welland & Gillespie about work taking place on the church at Clonmel circa 1864,(2) and his name is stamped on a drawing for alterations to the chancel of Tullamelan church, near Clonmel, in 1867.(3) He may have been the son of ROBERT BOYLE PHILLIPS ,who died in the house of a John Domville Phillips, sub-inspector in the Royal Irish Constabulary, in Adare, Co. Limerick, in 1882, in which case he had changed his career, perhaps as the result of the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland. This John Domville Phillips died in Limerick on 31 March 1884.(4)
(1) RIAI countil meeting minutes, 12 May 1868, 107; general meeting minutes, 21 May 1868, 221.
(2) Letters in RCB, folio 27.
(3) Drawing in RCB, folio 27.
(4) Ireland Calendar of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1920, database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZ5H-99F : accessed 2 Dec 2015).
1 work entries listed in chronological order for PHILLIPS, JOHN DOMVILLE
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, TULLAMELAN (CLONMEL), CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Alteration to chancel, substituting polygonal apse for E wall.|
|Refs:||Drawing stamped John Phillips, 1867 in RCB Library, portfolio 27|