Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer. William George Perrott was born on 17 September 1868 and attended the Civil Engineering School of Queen's College, Cork, from 1885 to 1889. On graduating as a Bachelor of Engineering in 1889, he worked on the Parliamentary surveys of the Cork & Fermoy and Cork & Muskerry extension railways under SAMUEL GORDON FRASER SAMUEL GORDON FRASER . He then went to America and to Argentina, where from March to August 1890 he was engaged as an assistant engineer in the sanitary department of the city improvements of Buenos Ayres under Batemen, Parsons & Bateman. These works were terminated after the revolution of July 1890. He next worked as an assistant engineer on the Argentine Great Western Railway from November 1890 until July 1891, when ill-health forced him to resign. Returning to Ireland, he was appointed surveyor to Clontarf Township in April 1892, a post which he retained until the township was absorbed into the city of Dublin in 1900. He then moved to Blackrock, Co. Dublin; neither the directories nor the notes of works in the Irish Builder give an indication of any further employment. During the First World War he served as a captain in the Royal Engineers and was wounded.(1) He was still resident in Blackrock in the early 1920s but had moved to England by 1933. He died in 1950.

ICEI: elected member, 1895; no longer on list of members after 1920.
Inst.CE: elected associate member, 5 February 1895.

Addresses: Ardilaun, St Lawrence Road, Clontarf. <=1895->=1898; Montrose, 45, St Lawrence Road, Clontarf, 1899-1901; Gracefield House, Waltham Terrace, Blackrock, 1901->=1923; Belgium, 1926-1927; 6 West Avenue, West Worthing, Sussex, 1933.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the records of Inst.CE, kindly provided by Mrs Carol Morgan, and from the lists of members of ICEI.

(1) TICEI 44 (1917-1918), 156.


3 work entries listed in chronological order for PERROTT, WILLIAM GEORGE


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, STRANDVILLE, TOWN HALL
Date: 1894
Nature: New. Being erected in 1894. Contractor: R. Farquharson, Jones Rd, Fairview.
Refs: WGP's candidate's circular for admission as associate member of Inst.CE, 2 Aug 1894, (information from Mrs Carol Morgan, archivist, Inst.CE); IAA, PKS A07 (Jun 1894, p.425).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, STRANDVILLE, TOWN HALL
Date: 1897
Nature: Adds.
Refs: IB 39, 15 Oct 1897, 198

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, HOUSES (080)
Date: 1900
Nature: For Clontarf Urban Council.
Refs: IB 42, 15 Feb 1900, 278