Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

The Pemberton family had connections with the building trades in Dublin at least from the mid-eighteenth century until the mid-twentieth century. Of the nine Pembertons who became freemen of the city between 1774 and 1824, four were admitted as bricklayers, one as a plasterer and the remaining four as merchants. Most if not all of them appear to have been descendants of BENJAMIN PEMBERTON [1]. S BENJAMIN PEMBERTON [1]. S ome earlier members of the family are given separate entries here; others include William H. Pemberton, admitted a Freeman as a bricklayer by virtue of birth at Midsummer 1802, William Pemberton, plumber of 31 Exchequer Street circa 1814-1816, John B. Pemberton, carpenter and builder, of 26 Wellington Street, in the 1850s and 1860s, and Thomas Pemberton, builder, of 19 Hanover Street East, in the 1870s. In 1883 there were two building firms named Pemberton in the Dublin area: John Pemberton, of 3 Dartmouth Road, Ranelagh; S. and Thomas Henry Pemberton, of 19 Hanover Street East. By 1896 there were no less than four: Benjamin Pemberton of Wellington Lodge, Sandymount; Henry Pemberton of 8 Shanganagh Terrace, Killiney, John Brownrigg Pemberton of Hazlewood House, Ranelagh, who died in 1903;(1) Joseph and Son of 23 Charlemont Street.(2) The building firm of J. & F. Pemberton of Hazelwood, Ranelagh, was still active in 1950.




References



(1)
IB 45, 13 Aug 1903, 1916.
(2)
For part of the Pemberton family tree, see http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/cdelahun/gp85.htm (2008) .