PARKINSON, HENRY C.
- Born: 1857/58 Died: 1937
Architect and engineer, of Armagh. According to his 1911 census return Henry C. Parkinson was born in Co. Dublin in 1857 or 1858.(1) Details of his training and early career are not yet known, but, according to information from his great-granddaughter, he started his career as a surveyor. He may have worked initially in Co. Down, where his five children were born between 1874 and circa 1886, but from 1899 or earlier he was active in Armagh, where he was engineer to the Rural District Council. One of his first works to be recorded in the Irish Builder was the improvement of the Third Presbyterian Church at Armagh, for which he refused to take any fee, although he was an Anglican rather than a Presbyterian himself.(2) He retired on a pension a few years before his death 'at an advanced age' on 7 November 1937. He was married twice: first, to Margaret Reid, by whom he had three daughters and two sons before they separated;(3) second, in 1908, to Georgina Nicholson, who was some nineteen years younger than himself.
AAI: elected member, 1899.(4)
Association of Municipal & County Engineers: admitted member, 1 October 1921.(5)
Addresses: 11 College Street, Armagh, 1900-1901;(6) 3 College Street, 1901; 1 Russell Street, 1910-11;(7) Abbey Street at time of death.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the 1901 and 1911 censuses of Ireland, from the very brief notice of Parkinson's death in IB 79, 27 Nov 1937, 1050, and from his great-granddaughter Christine Gowney, Belfast (Jun 2011).
(1) In the 1901 census return, filled in by his landlady, his place of birth is given as Co. Down and his age as 46.
(2) R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 151, citing J.W. Lockington, A History of the Mall Presbyterian Church, Armagh 1837-1987 (1987).
(3) They appear to have separated before the 1901 census when Henry is recorded as living as a boarder in Armagh, while Margaret was living with two daughters and two sons in Belfast, the eldest daughter having died in 1889 (information from Hugh Casement, Belfast, Jun 2011, citing Belfast Teleegraph, Sep 1889, and www.familysearch.org ).
(4) Lists of members in AAI Green Books.
(5) IB 63, 22 Oct 1921, 701.
(6) IB 43, 1 Jan 1901, 585.
(7) IB 52, 24 Dec 1910, 799.
12 work entries listed in chronological order for PARKINSON, HENRY C.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, DEAN'S HILL, DEANERY|
|Nature:||Extension to one side of main block.
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 137.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW (CI)|
|Nature:||Addition of vestry.
Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 365.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, TOWER HILL, UNION WORKHOUSE|
|Nature:||New offices for clerk & assistant, new bathrooms and sanitary addition to fever hospital.|
IB 42, 15 Oct 1900, 518; Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 127.
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, RAILWAY STREET, PREMISES|
|Refs:||IB 43, 13 Feb 1901, 638|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, MALL, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (3RD)|
|Nature:||Adds. & imps. for which HCP refused to take any fees. Choir gallery removed, pulpit put back to wall and choir seated on raised platform in front of pulpit. Church reopened 21? Apr 1901. Contractor: D.P. Martin & Co., Armagh.|
IB 43, 1 Jan,24 Apr 1901, 585,703; R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 151, citing J.W. Lockington, A History of the Mall Presbyterian Church, Armagh 1837-1987 (1987); Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 117.
|Building:||CO. TYRONE, CALEDON, MANSE & LECTURE HALL|
|Nature:||By 'A.E. Parkinson, Armagh'.|
|Refs:||IB 44, 11 Sep 1902, 1402|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, SCOTCH STREET, PREMISES (ARMAGH CO-OP)|
|Nature:||Tenders received for alts. to premises, for Armagh Co-Op Co.|
|Refs:||IB 45, 23 Apr,7 May 1903, 1720,1750|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, NORTHERN BANK|
|Nature:||New premises.Contractor: W. Dowling, Belfast (£4,670).|
|Refs:||B 87, 24 Dec 1904, 681; IB 47, 14 Jan,11 Feb 1905, 14,110|
|Building:||CO. MEATH, OLDCASTLE, NORTHERN BANK|
|Nature:||New (or alts. & adds. to existing?) branch bank. Contractor: Bernard McDonnell, Dundalk (£3,000).|
|Refs:||IB 49, 13 Jul 1907, 490; 50, 8 Feb 1908, 85|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, SEWERAGE|
|Nature:||New sewerage scheme.|
|Refs:||IB 52, 24 Dec 1910, 799|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, DRAINAGE SCHEME|
|Nature:||Contractor: Thomas Collen, Tanderagee.|
|Refs:||IB 53, 18 Feb 1911, 122.|
|Building:||CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, HOUSES (068)|
|Nature:||Scheme (or schemes?) for 68 cottages. For Armagh Rural District Council.|
|Refs:||IB 61, 31 May 1919, 275; 65, 14 Jul 1923, 544|