Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. George Papworth, the third son of the English stuccoist John Papworth, was born in London on 9 May 1781. In 1796, when he was barely fifteen, he exhibited a design for a bath at the Royal Academy (no. 738). Following his father's death in 1799, he became the pupil of his elder brother JOHN BUONAROTTI PAPWORTH  JOHN BUONAROTTI PAPWORTH and acted as his clerk of works until 1804, exhibiting three further designs at the Academy in 1801, 1802 and 1803. He next went to Northampton to superintend the office of the architect Luke Kershaw.(1) In May 1806 he moved to Dublin to take charge of Circular Stone Manufacturers of North Strand, a company which operated Sir George Wright's patented system for producing stone tubes for pipes and other uses. At the same time he continued to work as an architect, rejecting the offer made by 'two leading architects in Dublin' in 1809 to employ him for seven hours a day at £250 per annum. His early patrons included the Earl of Westmeath, Viscount Gormanston, and a Mr Macklin, for whom he designed a Gothic entrance.(2) He became a freeman of the City of Dublin at Michaelmas 1810 as a member of the Bricklayers' Guild,(3) which he was later to represent on the Common Council of Dublin.(4) After the sale of the stonecutting company in 1812, he designed a sawing machine(5) and a pump, which, according the the obituary in The Builder, 'met with general encouragement, and obtained for him a valuable connection in Mr Slater's of Birmingham'. He also acquired a reputation as an arbitrator.

Papworth and WILLIAM DEANE BUTLER  WILLIAM DEANE BUTLER were the principal targets of a satirical pamphlet, An Essay on the rise and progress of architectural taste in Dublin…by Nicholson Numskull, Esq., which was published in 1832. In 1837 Papworth was appointed architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for the province of Connaught, a post which he held until 1842. He was also architect to the Dublin & Drogheda Railway Company and to the Royal Bank. He played an active role in the affairs of the Royal Hibernian Academy (see below), of which he was appointed Professor of Architecture. He was a subscriber to and local honorary secretary for the Architectural Publication Society's dictionary, edited by his cousin Wyatt Papworth.

Papworth died in Dublin from the effects of a severe cold on 14 March 1855. He had married Margaret Davis in 1808, by whom he became the father of a large family including JOHN THOMAS PAPWORTH JOHN THOMAS PAPWORTH , who assisted but predeceased him, COLLINS EDGAR PAPWORTH COLLINS EDGAR PAPWORTH , who emigrated to Melbourne, and CHARLES WILLIAM PAPWORTH CHARLES WILLIAM PAPWORTH , who also assisted him and succeeded to his practice. His obituarist in The Builder describes him as an able and inventive architect and as a congenial companion: 'With great skill as a draughtsman and colourist, he combined a knowledge of the means of producing effect in his executed works, as well as economy of material, and was extremely original in his methods of construction, which frequently required him to he his own clerk of works; but this was accompanied with a just pride that these means never failed…Mr Papworth's amiability of temper, except when he conceived himself being urged to deviate from what he thought to be right, and his lively disposition rendering him Hibernior Hibernicis, made him a welcome guest to the families in the many mansions at which he spent the summer months while engaged upon little matters which he sometimes facied were invented for the purpose of commanding his attendance.'

There are four drawings by Papworth in the Irish Architectural Archive, three  for Gresham Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, dated 1832, in the Murray Collection(6).and an early drawing for a round-headed doorway, dated November 18[1?]7 and inscribed 'R. Mullin Esqr', in the Guinness Collection..(7)

RIAI: council member, 1839;(8)  resigned 1 January 1842;(9) 'Mr Papworth in the chair' at meeting of 9 March 1846;(10) re-elected fellow, 22 November 1849;(11) presents drawings by himself of fragments of the temple of Baalbec, 16 January 1851;(12) exhibits model of roof over theatre of Industrial Museum, Stephen's Green, 18 December 1851;(13) council member, 1852-54;(14) vice-president, 1855.(15)
RHA:(16) elected associate, 18 July 1826; elected academician, 18 October 1831; council member, 1842,1846,1852-53; Professor of Architecture, <=1845-1855; auditor, <=1845-1849; treasurer, 1850-1855; house committee member, <=1845-1851,1855.
Aged & Infirm Carpenters' Asylum:(17) vice-president, 1935,1842-43,1847;1852; president, 1853-55.

Addresses:(18) Circular Stone Manufacturers, North Strand, Dublin, 1809-1811; 33 Mary Street, Dublin, 1812-13; 40 Mary Street, 1814-1816; 5 George's Place, 1817-1820; 6 George's Place, 1822-1832 (entries in Wilson's Dublin Directory, 1834-1836 give this address, as well as an office address at 100 Marlborough St); 100 Marlborough Street, 1833-1836; 101 Marlborough Street, 1837; 106 Marlborough Street, 1838-1844; 109 Marlborough street, 1845-1855.
Home: Raheny, 1839;(19) Hinchogue, Raheny, 1843-1854.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from the long obituary of Papworth in B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; this remains the principal source for all subsequent articles, including the entries in APSD, P, 39-40, and DNB. A wax relief portrait by Christopher Moore is in the National Museum of Ireland (W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 124).

(1) Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (1st edn., 1954), 346.
(2) Possibly Surgeon Gerard Macklin, of Harcourt Place and Stillorgan, who built Lake View at Carrigroe, Co. Wicklow  (information from J.A.K. Dean)..
(3) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, 100.
(4) See Wilson's Dublin Directory (1835), ?.
(5) APSD has 'sewing machine', which seems less likely.
(6) Acc. 92/46.823-825.
(7) Acc. 96/068.5/9.
(8) Account of inaugural meeting in Civil Engineer & Architect's Journal 2 (Oct 1839), 394
(9) RIAI council meeting minutes, 1 Jan 1842, 2; the circumstances of the disagreement with Richard Morrison which brought about his resignation are described by Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The Foundation and early years of the RIAI', 150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: RIAI 1839-1989 (1989), 11-12.
(10) B 4, 14 Mar 1846, 121.
(11) RIAI general meeting minutes, 18 Dec 1851, 99; his re-election took place within two months of Morrison's death.
(12) RIAI ordinary meeting minutes, 16 Jan 1851, 88.
(13) RIAI general meeting minutes, 18 Dec 1851, 99.
(14) Freeman's Journal, 23 Nov 1835, and Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(15) B 12, 25 Nov 1854, 606.
(16) Information from W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 633, and Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.
(17) Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.
(18) From RHA Index, III, 60-61, IALE, II, 546, Wilson's Dublin Directory and Jones transcripts from Pettigrew & Oulton's and Thom's directories.
(19) See Dublin Penny Journal I, 9 Mar 1833, 293, for Papworth's 'cottage' at Raheny.


69 work entries listed in chronological order for PAPWORTH, GEORGE


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, CORK, REILLY'S MARSH, CITY GAOL (PROPOSED)
Date: 1805
Nature: Competition entrant. Design exh. 1809 Society of Artists, Dublin, no. 79.
Refs: ALEI, II, 546

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, BRITTAS CASTLE
Date: 1809
Nature: Design for 'Villa intended to be executed for H[enry] Langley, Esq, Castle-Brites' exh. Society of Artists of Ireland, Dublin, 1809
Refs: ALEI,II, 546

Building: CO. DUBLIN, STILLORGAN, HOUSE
Date: 1811
Nature: 'Design for a Conservatory and Entrance, in addition to a Building intended to be erected at a Gentleman's Seat, Stillorgan' exh. Society of Artists of Ireland, Dublin, 1811
Refs: ALEI, II, no. 546

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, GENERAL POST OFFICE
Date: 1812
Nature: GP exhibits design for 'a Post Office intended to be built in Dublin' at Society of Artists of the City of Dublin, 1812, (no. 107).
Refs: ALEI, III, 546

Building: CO. WEXFORD, CAMOLIN
Date: 1814
Nature: Proposed new house (or survey plans of existing house?). For Earl of Mountnorris?
Refs: Plans dated Oct 1814 in Soane Museum, Drawer 35, Set 1, 1-2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, WELLINGTON TESTIMONIAL
Date: 1814ca
Nature: Entrant in Wellington Testimonial competition.
Refs: Designs exh. Hibernian Society of Artists, Dublin , 1814, nos. 7,233,235; 1815, nos. 193,201,217; Society of Artists of Ireland, Dublin, 1819, nos. 122,130,174

Building: CO. CARLOW, OAK PARK
Date: 1815
Nature: Design for intended cast-iron bridge exh. Hibernian Society of Artists, Dublin, 1815 (no. 105). For Henry Bruen.
Refs: ALEI, II, 546

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, D'OLIER STREET, DUBLIN LIBRARY
Date: 1818-20
Nature: Handsome and convenient edifice, for Dublin Library Society. Opened 18 Sep 1820. Cost £5,594.11.2. (Remodelled as Bord Gais showrooms, 1928.)
Refs: Signed, printed specification of works, undated, and proof copy of same in British Architectural Library manuscripts collection, PaFam/1/2/2-3; longitudinal section, 1820, in NLI, old ref. AD 2630 (from Henry, Mullins & McMahon collection); other designs in Dublin City Archives, WSC/MAPS/119,120,121,539 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); 'Annals of Dublin' (unpaginated) in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanack (1847); APSD, P, 40; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 418n.

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1822
Nature: New court house. Has 'a façade of an original order of architecture, only known to Irish professors of the art of building' (Lawson)
Refs: Thomas Reid, Travels in Ireland in the year 1822 (1823), 316-7; J.P. Lawson, Gazetteer of Ireland (1842), 220; B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; DB 2, 1 Aug 1860, 308; APSD, P, 40;

Building: CO. WICKLOW, WICKLOW, CHURCH (CI, WICKLOW PARISH)
Date: 1822p
Nature: Memorial to Caroline Anketell in adjoining graveyard.
Refs: B.J. Cantwell, Memorials to the Dead: SE Wicklow (1973-5)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, ST MARY'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (RC)
Date: 1823-1827
Nature: Architect in charge of finishing interior. Designed vestibule and organ gallery, 1823. Architect for re-erection of Sacrd Heart and Blessed Virgin altars from Liffey St chapel, 1825.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive MSS., Pro-Cathedral Box; APSD, P, 40; M. Purcell, Dublin's Pro-Cathedral (1976);  ;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 129-130.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KING'S BRIDGE
Date: 1823-27
Nature: New single-span cast-iron bridge erected 'to commemorate His Majesty's most gracious Visit to Ireland, and selected by His Majesty'. FS laid 12 Dec 1827. Cast by R. Robinson of Phoenix Iron Works, Dublin. Cost £19,000.
Refs: RHA 1827, no. 194; 'Annals of Dublin' (unpaginated) in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanack (1847), entry for 12 Dec 1827; APSD, P, 40;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 697, Pl. 54.

Building: CO. GALWAY, PORTUMNA CASTLE (OLD)
Date: 1824-26
Nature: Renovations to early 17th century fortified house. House destroyed by fire, 1826, while work in progress.
Refs: B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; APSD, P, 40; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 375

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WHITEFRIAR STREET, CARMELITE CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL (RC)
Date: 1825-27
Nature: Handsome edifice on site of ancient monastery of White Friars. FS laid 25 Oct 1825. Consecrated 11 Nov 1827. Cost about £3,500. (In 1844, this church became S aisle of enlarged building.)
Refs: Dublin Penny Journal I, 27 Oct 1832, 137(illus.); 'Annals of Dublin' (unpaginated) in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanack (1847), entry for 25 Oct 1825; APSD, P, 40;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 471.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, RICHMOND HILL, NEW BRIGHTON
Date: 1826-29
Nature: Housing development. Houses 'now erecting' in 1829.
Refs: Designs exh. RHA 1826, nos. 248,249,262.266,268; 1829, no. 261

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BENBURB STREET, COLLINS BARRACKS (FORMERLY ROYAL BARRACKS)
Date: 1827
Nature: Proposed alts., consisting of enlargement of parade ground, in connection with opening the quays, approved by Marquess Wellesley, 1827.
Refs: Designs exh. RHA 1827, nos. 225,229; 1836, no. 228; 1837, no. 219

Building: CO. GALWAY, HEADFORD CASTLE
Date: 1829
Nature: For R.I. Mansergh St George. Elizabethan, 'quite new and entire...built in great part of small stone with a facing of some composition on it' with 'sneat court of offices and a large farming establishment'. Water wheel and forcing pump supply house with water.(Graham)
Refs: Perspective views exh RHA 1829, nos. 240,246; Henry Heaney, ed., A Scottish Whig in Ireland, 1835-1838: the Irish Journals of Robert Graham of Redgorton(1999), 268

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AUNGIER STREET, ST PETER'S CHURCH (CI)?
Date: 1832
Nature: Approved design for proposed improvement exh. RHA.. (Or could this be St Peter's RC church, Phibsborough?)
Refs: RHA 1832, no. 266.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, NATIONAL CEMETERY (PROPOSED)
Date: 1832
Nature: Designs for National Cemetery 'to be erected...for the Prevention of the Danger and Inconvenience of Burying the Dead within the Metropolis' exh RHA.
Refs: RHA 1832, no. 254,259,267; print of no. 267 in IAA, 95/5

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, HARBOUR, ROYAL BATHS (PROPOSED)
Date: 1832
Nature: Design for Royal Baths 'to be erected near the Water-house, Kingstown Harbour, with a Quay in front where small boats may land' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1832, no. 256; 1835, no. 278

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, PAKENHAM ROAD, QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1832
Nature: New, 3-bay building with pedimented façade. GP charged fee of 14 guineas. Builder: Samuel Roberts. (Classroom added 1837. Substantially altered after fire in 1880s.)
Refs: D.M.Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 70-72(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, INSURANCE OFFICE
Date: 1832a
Nature: 'Where veteran Park's commercial pile is seen,/The Insurance Office stares, in College Green;/A plaster front, by patchwork taste design'd, In that one front all Regent-street's combin'd' i.e. Patriotic Insurance Co, 9 College Gn?
Refs: An Essay on the rise and progress of architectural taste in Dublin…by Nicholson Numskull, Esq.'(1832), 3

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 021-22 (GRESHAM HOTEL, OLD)
Date: 1832a
Nature: 'Gresham's plaster palace...With cornice - ballusters - a wretched group,/Then crowned the whole with large toureens for soup!!!'
Refs: An Essay on the rise and progress of architectural taste in Dublin…by Nicholson Numskull, Esq., 2. (An engraved elevation of the street front as described appears in an advertisement in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 23, no. 83, 30 Jul 1881, 518, and subsequent numbers).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY (NEAR), HOUSE
Date: 1833
Nature: Design for proposed villa in Elizabethan style exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1833, no. 192

Building: CO. DUBLIN, ST JOHN'S WELL, CROSS (PROPOSED)
Date: 1833
Nature: GP exhibits design for 'Holy Cross proposed to be erected at st John's Well, County of Dublin' at RHA.
Refs: RHA 1833, no. 206

Building: CO. MAYO, HOLLYMOUNT HOUSE
Date: 1834
Nature: Designs for Holymount House, seat of Thomas Spencer Lindsey, exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1834, nos. 260,262.264

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, TRINITY COLLEGE, MUSEUM, LECTURE ROOMS & CAMPANILE (PROPOSED)
Date: 1834
Nature: Competition entrant. Designs for 'proposed new building' exh. RHA, 1834 & 1835..
Refs: RHA 1834, nos. 275,276,279; 1835, no. 275; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 132

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAROLD'S CROSS ROAD, MOUNT JEROME CEMETERY
Date: 1835
Nature: Designs for proposed cemetery, for Dublin Cemetery Co., exh. RHA
Refs: RHA 1835, no. 259,265

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILLEVY (OR KILLEAVY) CASTLE (MEIGH)
Date: 1836-37
Nature: Castellated remodelling of existing house, for Powell Foxall, JP.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1836, no. 229; Angélique Day & Patrick McWilliams, Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland, Vol. 1: Parishes of Co. Armagh, 1835-9, 53; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Co. Armagh (1999), 103(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),
 

Building: CO. GALWAY, KILCORNAN CASTLE
Date: 1836;1845
Nature: Tudor style mansion, commenced in 1837 by Thomas Nicholas Redington. Entrance gate 'now erecting', 1845.
Refs: Elevations exh, RHA 1837, nos. 216,218; persp. views exh. (by C.W. Papworth) RHA 1847, nos. 486,487; design for entrance gate exh. RHA 1845, no. 434; APSD, P, 40; J.B. Burke, Visitation of Seats and Arms (2nd ser. 1855), II, 5; B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; Joseph Murphy, The Redingtons of Clarinbridge (1999), 69-72(illus. 68 & frontispiece)

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, COLLEGE ROAD, GRAMMAR SCHOOL
Date: 1838
Nature: Survey(?) plan of buildings and gardens, playground and lawn by 'Papworth & Son'.
Refs: Signed drawing, dated 1838, in Erasmus Smith Schools archive, Danum, Zion Rd, Rathgar, Dublin.

Building: CO. GALWAY, PORTUMNA, BRIDGE
Date: 1838
Nature: Design for proposed swivel bridge exh. RHA
Refs: RHA 1838, no. 196

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CARLISLE BRIDGE (OLD)
Date: 1838
Nature: Proposed improvement by adding 12 ft. footways on each side.
Refs: Sketch and model exh. RHA 1838, nos. 203,423; 1841, no. 423; 1847, no. 482

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CLONTARF, BAYMOUNT CASTLE
Date: 1838
Nature: Castellated house for Robert Warren, tentatively attributed to GP by Claire Gogarty.
Refs: Claire Gogarty, From Village to Suburb: The Building of Clontarf since 1760 (2013), 58-61(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, BAPTIST CHAPEL
Date: 1838-39
Nature: Grecian style, on corner of Northumberland Sq. FS laid 6 Jul 1838. Opened 14 Jul 1839.
Refs: 'Annals of Dublin' (unpaginated) in Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanack (1847), entries for 6 Jul 1838 and 14 Jul 1839;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 139.

Building: CO. GALWAY, BALLINASLOE, TRENCH TESTIMONIAL
Date: 1840
Nature: Design for testimonial 'to be erected to the memory of the Hon. & Ven. C. Le Poer Trench, LL.D' exh RHA.
Refs: RHA 1840, no. 321

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAROLD'S CROSS ROAD, MOUNT JEROME CEMETERY, DRUMMOND MEMORIAL
Date: 1840
Nature: Design for proposed memorial to Thomas Drummond exh. RHA.
Refs: RHa 1840, no. 320

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FOSTER PLACE, HIBERNIAN UNITED SERVICE CLUB
Date: 1840ca
Nature: Addition of 'vaguely Greek Revival porch' (Casey).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),419.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH, ST LAWRENCE (PROPOSED)
Date: 1841
Nature: Designs for proposed new town on S. side of Howth Hill exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1841, nos. 382,383

Building: CO. SLIGO, SEAFIELD (LISHEEN)
Date: 1842
Nature: New house designed by GP for J. Phibbs, Esq. (house later called Lisheen).
Refs: B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; APSD, P, 40

Building: FRANCE, PARIS, MONTMARTRE, J.T. PAPWORTH MONUMENT
Date: 1842
Nature: Design for monument 'over the remains of the late John Thomas Papworth' exh.RHA.
Refs: RHA 1842, no. 453

Building: CO. MAYO, CRANMORE
Date: 1842
Nature: Elevation of house 'now building for Alexander Lambert, Esq.' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1842, no. 451

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BRENNANSTOWN HOUSE (CABINTEELY)
Date: 1842
Nature: For Jos. Pim.
Refs: APSD, P, 40

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, HOUSES
Date: 1842
Nature: S,E. & W. elevations of houses 'now building at Clontarf, for William Vernon, Esq.' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1842, nos. 445,461,462

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KENURE PARK
Date: 1842-44
Nature: Alterations and additions including portico, to existing early 18th c. house  For Sir Roger Palmer Bt. .(Demolished apart from portico.)
Refs: Elevation exh. RHA 1842, no. 451; perspective view exh (by C.W. Papworth) at RHA 1844, no. 409; B 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150,151(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, CLARINBRIDGE, CONVENT OF THE IRISH SISTERS OF CHARITY
Date: 1844
Nature: Addition of school rooms & offices to former Patrician Brothers monastery to make new convent, consecrated 16 Jul 1844..
Refs: Joseph Murphy, The Redingtons of Clarinbridge(1999), 94-5

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RUSH, CHURCH (CI, PROPOSED)
Date: 1844
Nature: Design for proposed church. (Is this a proposal for the church at Rush?)
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1844, no. 449

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RUSH, HOTEL
Date: 1844
Nature: Design for hotel proposed to be built on the estate of Sir Roger Palmer, Bt.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1844, no. 451

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RUSH, HOUSES (010)
Date: 1844
Nature: 5 double villas to be erected on the estate of Sir Roger Palmer, Bt.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1844, no. 410

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, DUBLIN ROAD, RAILWAY STATION (DUBLIN & DROGHEDA RAILWAY)
Date: 1844-1852
Nature: New.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1844, no. 404; B 10, 9,30 Oct 1852, 642,693

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, CROFTON ROAD, ROYAL ST GEORGE YACHT CLUB
Date: 1844-45;18??
Nature: Doubled J.S. Mulvany's existing building, adding new W portico and N facing apse-ended wing; after 1845 added 6-column screen to S front, steps from terrace to ground floor on N front.
Refs: Drawings in NA, OPW collection, old ref. G.4.5; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of John Skipton Mulvany', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 3 (2000), 18,19(illus.),26(illus.),28

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, GORT ROAD, COUNTY COURT HOUSE
Date: 1845
Nature: Competition entrant.
Refs: Clare Journal, 27 Oct 1845

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH (NEAR), PUBLIC BATH
Date: 1845
Nature: Design for proposed public bath exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1845, no. 435

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CASHEL, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1846
Nature: Design exh. RHA, 1846.
Refs: RHA 1846, no. 307

Building: CANADA, NEWFOUNDLAND, ST JOHN'S BASILICA (RC)
Date: 1849
Nature: Design for altarpiece dedicated to SS John & Francis exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1849, no. 404

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (ST CANICE'S HOSPITAL)
Date: 1849-52
Nature: New asylum. One of second series erected by Board of Works in Ireland. In progress of erection, 1850. Opened 1852. Cost: £21,500.
Refs: Design exh. (by C.W. Papworth) at RHA 1850, no. 356; B 8, 10 Aug,14 Sep 1850, 375,436; 11, 22 Jan 1853, 60; 13, 31 Mar 1855, 150; APSD, K, 20; L, 153; P, 40; 45th Report on District, Criminal and Private Lunatic Asylums (1896), 15; illus. in Tom Boyle, Kilkenny county Council: A Century of Local Government (Kilkenny County Council, 1999), 111

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 051 (MUSEUM OF IRISH INDUSTRY)
Date: 1850;1852
Nature: Design for facade, 'now erecting' exh. RHA; 'nearly finished', Aug 1850. Built on site of house of late Lord Manners & 2 adjacent houses. ?Also extensive adds.(i.e. theatre?), 1852
Refs: RHA 1850, no. 358 (probably also 'Design for a Museum exh. 1847, no. 414); B 8, 24 Aug 1850, 404; 10, 15 May 1852, 312; APSD, P, 40;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 541-2.

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MIDDLETON PARK
Date: 1850a
Nature: New house, for George Augustus Boyd, DL.
Refs: RHA 1850, no. 360; photocopy of undated specification, signed by GP, in IAA, RP.L.71;  J.B. Burke, A Visitation of the seats and arms of the noblemen and gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland (2nd ser., 1855), I, 152(illus.);  Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 205(illus.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 203,Pl.112

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 017 (UNIVERSITY CLUB)
Date: 1850p
Nature: 'On the advice of ... George Papworth...the wall between the two principal rooms on the ground floor was taken down and two ionic columns inserted to form the present dining room.'
Refs: Paul Caffrey, Kildare Street & University Club: Catalogue of the the collection (2003), 21(illus.).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 017 (UNIVERSITY CLUB)
Date: 1850p
Nature: 'On the advice of ... George Papworth...the wall between the two principal rooms on the ground floor was taken down and two ionic columns inserted to form the present dining room.'
Refs: Paul Caffrey, Kildare Street & University Club: Catalogue of the the collection (2003), 21(illus.).

Building: ENGLAND, LIVERPOOL (LANCASHIRE), CHURCH
Date: 1851
Nature: Design for proposed church at Liverpool exh. RHA.
Refs: RHa 1851, no. 315

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE, RAILWAY STATION (PROPOSED)
Date: 1851
Nature: Design for station 'intended to have been erected over the line...at Malahide for the Directors of the Dublin and Drogheda Railway' exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1851, no. 238; B 9, 22 Mar 1851, 189

Building: CO. MEATH, KELLS, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1852
Nature: For Dublin & Drogheda Railway.
Refs: B 10, 13 Nov 1852, 720-1; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 336

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1852
Nature: To be built for Dublin & Drogheda Railway.
Refs: B 10, 13 Nov 1852, 720-1

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BURLINGTON PLACE, MASONIC FEMALE ORPHAN SCHOOL
Date: 1852
Nature: GP prepares designs for schoolhouse.
Refs: B 10, 21 Feb 1852, 123; APSD, P, 40

Building: CO. DUBLIN, ARDGILLAN CASTLE
Date: 1853
Nature: Proposed adds.
Refs: Photocopy of ground plan, s & d. 1853, among Headfort estate papers in NLI (photocopy in IAA, RP.D.253.7).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EUSTACE STREET, QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1853
Nature: Scheme of improvement commissioned from Hugh Carmichael and George Papworth. Neither carried out.
Refs: D.M. Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 52

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTH WALL, WAREHOUSE (BRITISH & IRISH STEAM PACKET CO.)
Date: ?
Nature: One of GP's later works. 'This building sank bodily 18 ins. without requiring any subsequent repair...beyond screwing up some iron work for which preparation had been made.'
Refs: APSD, P, 40

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SEAN MACDERMOTT STREET, NO. 035 (CARPENTERS' HALL)
Date: ?
Nature: Mid-nineteenth century building with stUcco facade, giant corner pilasters and pedimented windows, 'variously attributed to Frederick Darley and George Papworth' (Casey)
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 182.

Author Title Date Details
'aero' 'Architectural Causerie: George Papworth' 1921 AJ 53, 23 Feb 1921, 212.
Collingwood, Frances 'George Papworth' 1955 Irish Times, 11 Mar 1955.