Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect to the Board of Public Works from 1856 until 1891. James Higgins Owen, who was born on 15 June 1822, was a son of JACOB OWEN JACOB OWEN . He was admitted a student of Trinity College, Dublin, on 12 October 1839 at the age of seventeen, graduating with the BA degree in 1844.(1) At some stage he was a pupil in his father's office,(2) and he also assisted in the offices of his brother THOMAS ELLIS OWEN  THOMAS ELLIS OWEN (1804-1862) in Portsmouth and of his brother-in-law CHARLES LANYON  CHARLES LANYON in Belfast. He joined the staff of the Board of Public Works on 15 July 1846 as a relief works assistant, remaining until December of the same year.(3) After an interval of some seven months, during which he lived in Belfast(4) - presumably working in Lanyon's office - he entered the Board's architectural department on 26 July 1847 as acting assistant architect, and on 1 June 1849 he was appointed clerk of works. On 1 April 1854 he was promoted to the post of assistant architect and two years later, on 8 May 1856, he succeeded his father as architect at a salary of £800 per annum.(5) He remained in this post until his death in 1891. After 1863 he delegated his design responsibilities to ENOCH TREVOR OWEN ENOCH TREVOR OWEN , the newly-appointed assistant architect, while he occupied himself principally with administration. Thus, while he may be considered responsible for designs carried out between 1854 and 1863, the extent of his contribution, if any, to designs initiatiated between 1863 and Enoch Trevor Owen's death in 1881 is less easy to determine.(6) The collaborative nature of working methods in the architect's department makes precise attribution difficult. Between 1871 and 1875 James Higgins Owen was also in charge of the task of inspecting and reporting on ancient monuments.(7)

Owen, who had been active member of the RIAI in its early years and held the position of honorary secretary from 1852, was a moving spirit in the reorganisation of the Insitute in 1863 and in its subsequent revitalization.(8) A disagreement over the election of officers led to his resignation in 1866, but his decision was quickly reversed and in June 1867 he was presented with a silver dessert service in recognition of his contribution to the revival of the institute's fortunes. The presentation address, read by PARKE NEVILLE PARKE NEVILLE , acknowledged his role in halting the decline:(9) 'Long continued isolation of interests…had somewhat unfitted us for inaugurating brotherly union, produced some apathy as to the higher aspirations of our art, and dulled perception of the use, ends, and power of common action. To bring together these elements with a kindly imperceptible hand, to infuse life into the infancy of the Institute, to give a tone to its earliest and latest councils, to represent it in its public acts with the dignity befitting its position, to labour for it cheerfully and indefatigably, are the tasks to which you have lent yourself, with…energy, genial kindness and scholar-like ability.' Owen was a frequent speaker on a wide variety of subjects at the institute's meetings.(10) He continued in the role of honorary secretary and, from 1867, vice-president until 1870, when he became president for four years.

Owen also had outside business interests. From 1864 or earlier he was chairman of the Irish Civil Service Building Society,(11) for which he was criticized in a government report on the administrationof the Irish Board of Works in 1878.(12) In spite of the recommendation that he should withdraw from the chairmanship, he retained the post until 1883. During the 1870s he was also a director and then chairman of the National Discount Company of Ireland.(13) In 1869 he is recorded as chairing a meeting of disaffected policy holders in the European Assurance Company.(14)

Owen was in poor health for some time before his death from bronchitis, which took place at his house in Molesworth Street on 7 April 1891.(14) He was buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery three days later. He was survived by his wife Isabella, née Underhill (c.1826-1909). He was the father of CHARLES ASTLEY OWEN  CHARLES ASTLEY OWEN and two daughters, Mary and Isabella Maud.(15)

AAI: present at inaugural meeting, 13 October 1872.(16)
ICEI: member by 1849(17) but no longer on list of members for 1870.(18)
RIAI:(19) hon. secretary, 1852-1869; vice-president, 1867, 1875-1879; resigns as hon. secretary & newly-elected vice-president, Nov 1866;(20) presented with silver dessert service, 27 Jun 1867;(21)  reads paper on 'Law and Architecture', 21 Nov 1867;(22)  reads paper on labourers' dwellings in Ireland, 20 May 1869;(23)  president, 1870-1874; council member, 1880-1886; resolution of sympathy passed on his death, 4 May 1891.(24)
RIBA: elected fellow, 28 February 1876, having been proposed by J.J. MCCARTHY MCCARTHY , JOHN LANYON  JOHN LANYON and THOMAS DREW. THOMAS DREW. (25)
RHA: elected associate, 23 May 1873; elected member, 18 October 1876.(26)
RSAI: elected fellow, 15 October 1873.(27)

Addresses:(28) 2 (later renumbered as 54) Mountjoy Square West, 1849-1855; 29 Gloucester Street Lower North, 1856-1857; Park House, Newgrove Avenue, Sandymount, 1858-1859; 11 Eccles Street, 1861-1865;(29) 51 Park Avenue, Sandymount, 1866(30)-1872; Sydney Lodge, Sydney Parade, Merrion, 1873-1881; 9 Fitzwilliam Street Upper, 1882-1884; 16 Molesworth Street, 1885-1891.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from F. O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 19-23, F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 149ff. and Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 680. A photograph of Owen in middle age is in Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The Foundation and early years of the RIAI', 150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: RIAI 1839-1989 (1989), 16, and in O'Dwyer, op. cit., above (2002), 149.

(1) Alumni Dublinenses; he received the MA degree in 1852. cf. Mount Jerome Cemetery records which give his age at the time of his death in 1891 as 74.
(2) Robert Young, Reminiscences, 99-100.
(3) Dates and details of his appointments and promotions are from Jones's trascripts from Board of Works employee records.
(4) Report of the Committee appointed to inquire into the Board of Works, Ireland (1878), 53.
(5) B 14, 28 Jun 1856, 360.
(6) The perspective views of a second-class police barrack which Owen exhibited at the RIAI conversazione in December 1869, reproduced in The Irish Builder(IB 12, 15 Jan 1870,4,18-19(illus.)) were actually drawn by E.T. Owen; this may be the same design that Owen exhibited as 'a very pretty watercolour drawing' at the RHA in 1873 (no. 318); see IB 15, 1 Apr 1873, 95.
(7) Lohan, 87; Jones's transcripts from Board of Works records suggest that he held some other position in relation to national monuments from 1 Jan 1878 until 7 April 1891.
(8) For Owen and the RIAI, see Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The Foundation and early years of the RIAI', 150 Years of Architecture in Ireland: RIAI 1839-1989 (1989), 14-21; see also RIAI section, below.
(9) RIAI general meeting minutes, 27 Jun 1867, 210.
(10) For his published talks, see Bibliography; subjects of his unpublished talks recorded in the minutes of the RIAI and elsewhere include: contraction of wood and plate iron in girders, 23 March 1850; ancient monumental brasses, 20 Mar 1851; Irish farm buildings, 19 Feb 1852; mediaeval fonts, 2 June 1852; Sligo Abbey, 19 Mar 1853; Gandon drawings for Carlisle Bridge, 28 May 1853, 120; dampness in walls, Feb & Mar 1854 (see B 12, 18 Feb,11 Mar 1854, 89,133); curiosities of architecture, Feb 1855 (see B 13, 24 Feb 1855, 94); Jerusalem, 10 Mar 1860; restoration of the roof of the Sugar Store, Custom House Docks, 19 Nov 1863; reading of condensed version of article by Viollet-le-Duc, 21 Jan 1864.
(11) DB 7, 1 Jan 1865, 6.
(12) Report of the Committee appointed to inquire into the Board of Works, Ireland (1878), xiv-xv; IB 20, 15 Jul 1878, 208.
(13) Post Office Dublin Directory (1874), 226; IB 19, 15 Aug 1877, 247.
(14) IB 11, 1 Oct 1869, 218.
(14) Irish Times, 11 Apr 1891; records of Mount Jerome Cemetery.
(15) InformatiOn from F. O'Dwyer. Two other sons, James Benson Woen and Howard Thomas Owen died in 1862 and 1865, aged 9 and nearly 7 (Mount Jerome records; DB 7, 15 Jan 1865, 27).
(16) IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280.
(17) TICEI 3 (1847-49), list of members.
(18) IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 197.
(19) Information from Jones transcripts of lists of officers in Thom's directories, unless otherwise attributed.
(20) RIAI countil meeting minutes, 26 Nov,13 Dec 1866, 66,69; see O'Dwyer (1989), 19, for a possible reason for this temporary rift.
(21) RIAI general meeting minutes, 13 Apr,27 Jun 1867, 207,210; IB 9, 1 May,1 Jul 1867, 108,164; B 25, 13 Jul 1867, 514.
(22) Freeman's Journal, 22 Nov 1867. 
(23)   Freeman's Journal, 21 May 1869.
(24) RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 May 1891, 290; IB 33, 15 May 1891, 115.
(25) IB 18, 15 Mar 1876, 73.
(26) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913),   II, 633.
(27) JRSAI 12 (1872-73), 51.
(28) From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories unless otherwise stated.
(29) See note 15, above.
(30) DB 8, 15 Apr 1866, 96.


46 work entries listed in chronological order for OWEN, JAMES HIGGINS


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COWLEY PLACE, MOUNTJOY PRISON
Date: 1855
Nature: Female convict depot.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. E.12.4;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 281..

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: New building containing Landed Estates Court and Probate Court at rear of Four Courts,.opened 30 Apr 1860. Contractor: Meade. Cost: £19,300.
Refs: Drawings for Encumbered Estate Court, 1858, and Probate Court (signed R.J. Stirling), 1861, in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.8.3; B 16, 13 Feb 1858, 111; DB 1, 1 Dec 1859, 164; 2, 1 Apr 1860, 241

Building: CO. SLIGO, SLIGO, MALL, DISTRICT MODEL SCHOOL
Date: 1858-1863
Nature: New district model school. Italianate, with central block & 2 wings. Deeply recessed circular headed windows; heavy eaves course supported by cantilever blocks. Nearly completed, Feb 1863. Contractor: P. Keighron. Clerk of Works: Edward Brannick. Cost: £7000.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1860, in NA, OPW drawings, OPW5HC/4/823; 29th Report of Commissioners for National Education (1858), xviii; 28th Report of Board of Public Works, Ireland (1859), 17; B 20, 31 May 1862, 394; DB 5, 1 Feb 1863, 17

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TALBOT STREET, NO. 009 (FEMALE TRAINING SCHOOL)
Date: 1859
Nature: Addition of wings.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1859, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.1; Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 12(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 155.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, CROFTON ROAD, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1859
Nature: Coastguard cottages & officer's house.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1859, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.12 (elevation repr. Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 21 (fig. 34)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, NORTHLAND ROAD, DISTRICT MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: New male, female and infants schools in Early English style, 2-storey with frontage of 208 ft.Cost: £6,000. Contractor: Boyd, Derry. Clerk of Works: Arthur Kent.
Refs: 22nd Report of the National Education Commissioners in Ireland (1855), 11; 29th Report of the National Education Commissioners in Ireland (1862), 245; 27th Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1858), 18; DB 1, ? ?,1 Sep 1859, 8,118; 2, 1 May 1860, 250; Robin Wylie, Ulster Model Schools (UAHS, 1997), 20-23(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ENNISCORTHY, MODEL SCHOOL
Date: 1859-61
Nature: New district model school; Italianate; 'recently completed' in May 1861.Erected under direction of Mr A.O. Lyons.Contractor: Pat Kerr. Cost: £6,000.
Refs: Unsigned drawings, 1859, in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.10.7; 28th Report of the Board of Public works, Ireland (1859), 17; DB 3, 1 May,1 Jun 1861, 496,526?(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALLYCORUS, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1860
Nature: To be built by Board of Public Works.(JHO not mentioned)
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jun 1860, ?

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, NORTH ROAD, MODEL SCHOOL
Date: 1860-61
Nature: New minor model school.Gothic.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1860, in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.11.5; 28th Report of the Board of Public Work, Ireland (1859), 17; B 18, 3 Mar 1860, 141; Robin Wylie, Ulster Model Schools (UAHS, 1997), 40-42(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, DUNDRUM ROAD, CRIMINAL LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1860-63
Nature: Add. Contractor: John G. Meighan, Kings Inn Street.
Refs: DB 2, 15 Apr 1860, 69; 5, 15 May 1863, 84

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, MILITARY ROAD, MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1861
Nature: Adds. & alts.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Nov 1861, 689

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BALDOYLE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1861
Nature: Coastguard station with 8 dwelling houses to be built.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391; B 19, 2 Feb 1861, 81

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, POLICE DEPOT
Date: 1861
Nature: Adds.. 2 existing blocks to be extended, with returns, to form, with short length of boundary wall, rectangle enclosing about 13 acres. Adds. to contain commandant's, adjutant's, medical officer's and barrack master's quarters, sergeants' mess, school, dormitories & stabling. .
Refs: DB 3, 15 Sep 1861, 637; B 19, 30 Nov 1861, 823

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL HIBERNIAN MILITARY SCHOOL
Date: 1861
Nature: 'a building affording increased dormitory accommodation'
Refs: DB 3, 15 Jul 1861, 578

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1861-1866
Nature: New Record Repository. Assisted by E.Trevor Owen with R.J. Stirling.
Refs: Drawing (signed E.T. Owen), in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.9.3 (section & elevation repr. Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 22, figs. 38 & 39; details repr. Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 184); B 24, 16 Jun 1866, 450-51; DB 3, 15 Dec 1861, 712; 4, 1 Mar 1862, 58; 8, 1 Jul 1866, 166

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN ROAD, BOTANIC GARDENS
Date: 1861-62
Nature: Palm house. 'There is an intensity of ugliness about this building, seen from the north side, which quite appals one'.(William Robinson in |Gardener's Chrinicle|, 1863) Proved unstable in high winds; series of supports inserted during 1860s and 1870s. Badly damaged by storms in 1883 and replaced 1884.
Refs: Drawing(s) s. & d.? 'R. Suffolk' (draughtsman? contractor?), 1861, in NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref. F.2.5 (incomplete information from Buildings of Ireland files); DB 3, 15 Aug 1861, 598; H.F. Berry, History of the Royal Dublin Society (1915), 196;. E.C. Nelson & E.M. McCracken, The Brightest Jewel(1987), 124,126(illus.),193

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, BROWNLOW TERRACE, MINOR MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1861-62
Nature: Italianate, with clock tower, Coalisland brick and stone.   Central bulding with projecting E & W wings. Finished end 1862. Contractors: Patrick Kerr & George Carolin.

Refs: 27th Report of the National Education Commissioners (1860), 23; 29th Report of the Board of Public Works Ireland (1860), 18; DB 3, 15 Jan,15 Jun,15 Aug 1861, 409,546,598; 4, 15 Dec 1862, 324; B 19, 9 Feb 1861, 97; Robin Wylie, Ulster Model Schools (UAHS, 1997), 42-44(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 432-3.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD, QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY
Date: 1861;1865
Nature: Anatomical school to be added, 1861. Tenders invited, Nov 1861. Adds. to anatomical school (lecture theatre, professor's room, enlargement of dissecting room, anatomical museum), 1865. Contractor: Murphy, Newtownards (£1476)
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.177,179,232-3); DB 3, 1 Nov 1861, 666; 7, 15 Feb 1865, 48; 31st Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1862), 8

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, COURT OF PROBATE REGISTRY OFFICE
Date: 1862
Nature: New registry office with residence and strong rooms being erected. Tenders invited, May 1861. Builder: P. Kerr. To cost about £1,000. (JHO not mentioned by name)
Refs: 29th report of the Board of Public Works Ireland (1860), 18;  Armagh Guardian, 24 May 1861,4 Apr 1862;  DB 4, 15 Mar 1862, 69.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARLBOROUGH STREET, TYRONE HOUSE, BOARD OF NATIONAL EDUCATION
Date: 1862
Nature: 2 new ranges, each about 140' long, commenced at rere of present schools, providing additional class and lecture rooms for males & females, with central staircase and open arcades for recreation in each. Contractor: John Nolan, Meredyth Pl (c. £6,000)
Refs: DB 4, 1 Jan 1862, 10

Building: CO. ANTRIM, CARRICKFERGUS, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1862
Nature: New coastguard station for a chief officer and six men. Tenders invited.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Aug 1862, 199

Building: CO. MAYO, KEELE (ACHILL ISLAND), COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1862-63
Nature: 3 stations at Keele, Darby's Point and Bull's Mouth. Contractor: Morris, Dublin.
Refs: Drawings for terrace of cottages with lookout tower initialled by WS and contract drawing for same, 1862, in NA, OPW drawings collection, old refs.. A.11.10, A.4.2; DB 4, 15 May 1862, 127; 5, 1 Feb 1863, 17

Building: CO. MAYO, DARBY'S POINT (ACHILL ISLAND), COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1862-63
Nature: 3 stations at Keele, Darby's Point and Bull's Mouth. Contractor: Morris, Dublin.
Refs: Drawings initialled by R.J. Stirling & R.A. Gibbons in NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref.A.4.3; DB 4, 15 May 1862, 127; 5, 1 Feb 1863, 17

Building: CO. MAYO, BULL'S MOUTH (ACHILL ISLAND), COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1862-63
Nature: 3 stations at Keele, Darby's Point and Bull's Mouth. Contractor: Morris, Dublin.
Refs: DB 4, 15 May 1862, 127; 5, 1 Feb 1863, 17

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, UNIVERSITY ROAD, QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY
Date: 1863
Nature: Additional storey to S corridor.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Aug 1863, 133

Building: CO. WATERFORD, BONMAHON, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1864
Nature: To be erected. To accommodate 1 chief officer and 6 boatmen, with watch tower and boat house.
Refs: Contract drawings, 1864, in NA, OPW drawings collection, OPW5HC/4/455;  B 22, 9 Jul 1864, 518

Building: ENGLAND, FRIDAY BRIDGE (CAMBRIDGESHIRE), CHURCH (CE)
Date: 1864
Nature: Central stone laid 25 Aug by Bishop of Ely. JHO 'generously devoted his gratuitous professional services in furnishing design and carrying out the works'
Refs: DB 6, 1 Oct 1864, 199

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, ANGLESEA STREET, MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1864-65
Nature: New school with campanile.   Italianate, built of red and black brick with Portland stone dressings. Construction begun, Jan 1864. Completed by Aug. 1865. (In use until 1990; now occupied by District Court.)
Refs:  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 36-38 (illus.; also colour plate between pp. 53 & 54).), citing Illustrated London News, 19 Apr 1865.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, PORTRUSH, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1866
Nature: New boat house to be built.
Refs: DB 8, 1 Jul 1866, 173

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, POLICE DEPOT
Date: 1866-67
Nature: New guard houses and magazine completed. Builder: James Freeman.
Refs: Drawings, 1866, initialled by R.J. Stirling and E.T. Owen in NA, OPW drawings collection, old ref. D.6; IB 10, 15 Jan 1868, 24

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CIRCULAR ROAD SOUTH (KILMAINHAM), ROYAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1867
Nature: Extensive alts. to adjutant's quarters completed. Builder: James Freeman.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Jan 1868, 24

Building: CO. MAYO, ELLY BAY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868
Nature: Terrace of 2-storey cottages. Contractor: Henry Stone. Estimate for cottages and boat house: £2,282.2s.8d.
Refs: Designs, specification and estimate, 1868, 'E.T.Owen examined' (but James H. Owens mentioned as architect) in NA, OPW5HC/4/853

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, CHIEF SECRETARY'S LODGE
Date: 1869a
Nature: JHO exhibits photograph of conservatory at RIAI conversazione, Dec 1870.
Refs: IB 12, 1 Jan 1870, 4

Building: CO. DOWN, CULTRA, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1870
Nature: -
Refs: IB 12, 15 Oct 1870, 247

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, MARKET SQUARE, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1870-71
Nature: New Baronial-style barracks with tower, for Royal Irish Constabulary. Builder: Francis McGaughry.
Refs: Contract elevation, signed by Francis McGaughey, 1870, and other drawings in NA/OPW drawings collection, OPW5HC/4/157;  R.W. Oram & P.J. Rankin, Historic Buildings in…Dungannon & Cookstown (UAHS, 1971),  7 (no. 8), 17(illus.);  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 261 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ABBEY STREET LOWER, ROYAL HIBERNIAN ACADEMY
Date: 1873
Nature: Alts. to gallery.
Refs: B 31, 22 Mar 1873, 235

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, OLIVER PLUNKETT STREET, POST OFFICE
Date: 1876-79
Nature: New. On site of Theatre Royal connecting with existing P.O. on Pembroke St. Ground floor of local limestone, other floors of sandstone 'with little pretension to architectural beauty'. With E.T. Owen? Opened May 1879. Cost: £8,000. Contractor: Richard Evans, Cork. Clerk of Works: James Williams.
Refs: Contract drawing(s), 1876, signed E.T. Owen and Richard Evans, contractor, in NA, OPW records, old. refs. E.4.3 and E.4.4 (street front (which differs from design as executed) repr. in Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 181); IB 15, 1 Apr 1873, 99; 18, 15 Apr 1876, 100; 21, 1 May 1879, 137; B 37, 17 May 1879, 551;

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Date: 1879
Nature: Extensive adds. from the designs and under superintendence of the architect of the Board of Public Works. 2nd contract comprises Western Road gatehouse (by E.T. Owen and/or J.H.Owen), extensive plant houses 'on new ground lately purchased', and observatory with telescope by Howard Grubb, Rathmines, Dublin. Contractor: E. Fitzgerald, Cork. Metal gates by John Perrot, Cork. (Demolished in late 1920s)
Refs: IB 21, 1 May 1879, 130; 60, 2 Mar 1918, 119; Architect 23, 31 Jan 1880, 79; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 559,n32

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1879
Nature: Alts., additions and repairs. Contractor: B. Leech.
Refs: IB 21, 1 Dec 1879, 373

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, ?, HOUSES
Date: 1879-1880
Nature: Labourers' dwellings on Pembroke estates at Dundrum and Booterstown, all but finished in Jan 1880. 'Each group of Buildings has been so treated as to be an ornament to the site, which has been laid out so as to command plenty of light and air - and the work has been very well done.'
Refs: Copy letter from James H. Owen to Earl of Pembroke, 19 Jan 1880 (photocopy in IAA)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, ROYAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND
Date: 1884-1887
Nature: Alterations for purposes of university (proposed new cut-stone front, fittings in ante room, extension of gallery in grand hall, campanile). Contractor: George Moyers.(Subject of lawsuit, Moyers v. Soady, 1886-7).
Refs: IAA, PKS 0009, 0646, B11/68, B12/18, B13/11, A07, p.123,272 (May 1884--Feb 1888)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RICHMOND HILL (RATHMINES), NO. 036-37 (ST MARY'S NATIONAL SCHOOLS)
Date: 1886
Nature: In grounds of RC church of Our Lady of Refuge. FS laid. To comprise study halls and 6 classrooms, to accommodate 900 children. Red stock brick with granite dressings. Contractor: P.S. Larkin.
Refs: IB 28, 15 Jun 1886, 187

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, ROYAL AVENUE, NO. 030-32 (GENERAL POST OFFICE)
Date: 1886a
Nature: 3-storey building with arcades of Romanesque windowsm machicolated cornice and curved corner into Garville St. Opened 1886. (Demolished 1985 for Castlecourt development.).
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 61; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 287

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HIGH STREET, ST AUDOEN'S CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1887
Nature: Repair work, including clearing out of windows on N side of choir, 'which will ultimately be filled with iron rails', and of ancient doorway in late Tudor style to W of windows. In contemplation to open out passage from church to Watergate.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Feb 1887, 33

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, VICE-REGAL LODGE
Date: 1890
Nature: Redecoration of ballroom in yellow and white scheme with wallpaper in 2 shades of yellow designed by G.F. Bodley.  Contractor: Thomas Dockrell, Sons, & Co., Dublin.
Refs: Irish Times, 9 Dec 1890 (description).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, KIOSK
Date: 1895
Nature: Octagonal, Tudor revival kiosk near entrance to Zoo (not erected until after JHO's death).
Refs: Drawing signed J.H.O but dated 1895 (date of contract?) in NA, OPW records, old ref. G.3.10; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 311.

Author Title Date Details
Owen, James Higgins 'On benefit building societies' 1864 DB 6, 1 Jul 1864, 126-7. (Paper read to RIAI, 23 Jun 1864.)
Owen, James Higgins [Address at opening meeting of student class of RIAI] 1865 DB 7, 15 Dec 1865, 295; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1863-6) 9-14.
Owen, James Higgins [Government aid to railways] 1866 DB 8, 15 Apr 1866, 96. (Letter to editor.)
Owen, James Higgins 'On the formula (W.C.-W.) 1866 DB 8, 1 Apr 1866, 84; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1863-6), 44-50. (Paper read to RIAI.)
Owen, James Higgins 'Law and architecture' 1867 IB 9, 1 Dec 1867, 305; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1867-8) 3-8. (Paper read to RIAI,.)
Owen, James Higgins Presidential address to RIAI 1869 Presidential address delivered 16 Dec 1869, published in RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1869-70) 10-13
Owen, James Higgins 'Labourers' dwellings for Ireland' 1869 IB 11, 1,15 Jun 1869, 129,142; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1868-9), 21-5. (Paper read to RIAI, 20 May 1869.)
Owen, James Higgins 'Imitation in architecture' 1869 IB 11, 1 Jan 1869, 4; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1868-9), 3-7. (Paper read to RIAI, 17 Dec 1868.)
Owen, James Higgins 'Damp' 1869 IB 11, 1 Dec 1869, 269; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1869-70) 3-9. (Paper read to RIAI, 18 Nov 1869.)
Owen, James Higgins [Presidential address to RIAI] 1870 IB 12, 1 Dec 1870, 280-282.
Owen, James Higgins 'The Phibsborough Church Case: Doolin v. Dixon' 1870 IB 12, 1 Apr 1870, 70-72; RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1869-70), 14-20. (Paper read to RIAI, 17 Mar 1870.)
Owen, James Higgins 'Sundry notes' 1871 IB 13, 1,15 May 1871, 107,121. (Paper read to RIAI, 20 Apr 1871.)
Owen, James Higgins [Presidential address to RIAI] 1871 IB 13, 1 Dec 1871, 315-316.
Owen, James Higgins 'Architecture in Ireland' 1872 IB 14, 1 Dec 1872, 317; B 30, 23 Nov,28 Dec 1872, 920-21,1021. (Presidential address to RIAI.)
Owen, James Higgins 'On concrete building' 1872 IB 14, 15 Nov 1872, 304,308 (illus.); B 30, 16,23 Nov 1872, 898-9,922-3. (Paper read to AAI, 7 Nov 1872.)
Owen, James Higgins 'Architectural litigation' 1873 IB 15, 15 May 1873, 133. (Paper read to RIAI, 17 Apr 1873.)
Owen, James Higgins [Presidential address to RIAI] 1874 IB 16, 15 Jan 1874, 26; B 32, 17 Jan 1874, 53-4.
Owen, James Higgins 'On fireproof building' 1874 IB 16, 1,15 Jan 1874, 5,20 (Paper read to AAI, 18 Dec 1873; for Part 1, see IB 14, ? ? 1872, 304) and B 32, 3,17 Jan 1874, 4,48.)
Owen, James Higgins 'The Earth Closet system' 1876 IB 18, 15 Apr 1876, 112 (Report of 'extempore lecture' given to AAI, 30 Mar 1876)