Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Assistant architect to the Board of Works, Dublin. Enoch Trevor Owen was born circa 1833. He appears to have been the Enoch Trevor Owen, son of Richard and Mary Owen, who was christened at Wem, Shropshire, in 1835,(1) though the records of Mount Jerome cemetery and the English census of 1851 indicate a birth date of 1832 or 1833. By the time of the English census of 1841 (in which Enoch's age is given as eleven) the Owen family had moved to Liverpool, where Richard was in business as a tailor and Mary as an upholstress. In the 1851 census Enoch, his age now given as eighteen, is described as an architectural student. Enoch was in private practice as an architect in England during the second half of the 1850s; references to him in The Builder between 1856 and 1858 locate his practice in Liverpool(2) and also - probably incorrectly - in Birmingham.(3)

On 10 January 1860 Enoch Trevor Owen joined the architectural staff of the Irish Board of Works,(3) where JAMES HIGGINS OWEN  JAMES HIGGINS OWEN had succeeded Jacob Owen as chief architect and FREDERICK VILLIERS CLARENDON FREDERICK VILLIERS CLARENDON , a son-in-law of JACOB OWEN JACOB OWEN , was Surveyor of Buildings. Whether he was in any way related to Jacob Owen's family is not clear. He may possibly have changed his first name soon after his arrival in Ireland, for it is is given as 'Enoch' in the Board's records but as Edward in the minutes of the RIAI and elsewhere by 1863.(4) Originally appointed as a drawing clerk, he was promoted to the post of assistant architect and chief draughtsman in February 1863.(5) After his promotion he seems to have been given the responsibility for the design side of the Board's activities, while James Higgins Owen devoted himself to administration. His drawing assistants included JOHN C. CAMPBELL JOHN C. CAMPBELL , ROBERT A. GIBBONS ROBERT A. GIBBONS , CHARLES LANAUZE CHARLES LANAUZE , ROBERT JOHN STIRLING  ROBERT JOHN STIRLING and WILLIAM DAVID WILLIAMS WILLIAM DAVID WILLIAMS . In 1873, in addition to design work, he carried out a survey of two major national monuments, Glendalough and the Rock of Cashel; these surveys anticipated the creation in 1875 of the part-time post of Inspector of Ecclesiastical National Monuments, which THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE  THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE was the first to occupy.

Owen died of inflammation of the lungs on 9 April 1881 at the age of forty-eight and was buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery.(6) After his death there was a re-organization of the Board's architect's department.(7) An able draughtsman, he contributed illustrations to Charles Wickes's The Spires and towers of the mediaeval churches of England (1858-59)(8) and exhibited sketches as well as architectural designs at the RHA(9) and at the RIAI's first architectural exhibition in 1865.(10) Before his responsibilities for the Board increased, he seems, like his son, ALFRED RICHARD OWEN ALFRED RICHARD OWEN , to have been prepared to make drawings for other architects; in 1861 he supplied the perspective views of WILLIAM GEORGE MURRAY'S  WILLIAM GEORGE MURRAY'S competition design for the College of Physicians in Dublin.(11)

RIAI: elected fellow, 23 April 1863 having been proposed by James Higgins Owen, seconded by Jacob Owen, CHARLES LANYON CHARLES LANYON , and F.V Clarendon;(12) co-adjudicator, with THOMAS DREW  THOMAS DREW for award of Fitzgerald Medal for session 1867-8;(13) auditor, 1868-69,1875;(14) for lectures given to Institute in 1864 and 1866, see BIBLIOGRAPHY.  BIBLIOGRAPHY.

Addresses: Home:(15) Walnut Street, Liverpool, 1841; 28 Myrtle Street, Liverpool, 1851; 4 Charlemont Parade, Sandymount, Dublin, 1862-1865; 2 Appian Way, 1866-1871; 10 Appian Way (Leeson Cottages), 1872-1881.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. NB BIBLIOGRAPHY. NB . In the case of Owen's works for the Board of Public Works, it is not always clear whether Owen himself was directly responsible for a design or simply gave his approval to it.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from F. O'Dwyer, 'Building empires: architecture, politics and the Board of Works 1760-1860', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 150,166.

(1) www.familysearch.org (reference courtesy of Frederick O'Dwyer).
(2) B 15, 24 Jan 1857, 47; 16, 7 Aug 1858, 540.
(3) B 14, 15 Mar 1856, 146; 15, 7 Mar 1857, 244.
(4) Jones transcript from OPW records.
(5) Could he even have changed his name a second time? In Thom's directories from 1873 to 1881 he appears as Esmond Trevor Owen.
(6) Information from F. O'Dwyer, citing PRO Kew.
(7) Mount Jerome records; buried in the same plot are Mary Emma Owen (d. 1912), who was presumably his wife, his eldest son, Arthur Trevor Owen(1858/9-1929), and two daughters, Mary Elizabeth (1857/8-1939) and Annie Maude (1865/6-1943). See also death notice in the Irish Times(F. O'Dwyer).
(8) Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 40.
(9) In the copies of this work in the IAA and Science Library, Queen's University, Belfast, Owen has annotated with a question mark Wickes's claim to have done all the drawings himself (F.O'Dwyer, P. Larmour).
(10) Apart from identified architectural designs, Owen exhibits at the RHA were: 'The tower of the old church, Derby, from sketches taken on the spot' (1861, no. 604), 'Design for a villa residence' and 'Design for a public memorial' (1864, nos. 405 & 408), 'The ruins of Wenlock Priory Shropshire' (1873, no. 327) and 'Study on the River Ogwen, North Wales' (1876, no. 24).
(11) DB 7, 1 Aug 1865, 184.
(12) DB 3, 1 Aug 1861, 589.
(13) RIAI council meeting minutes, 30 Mar and/or 1 Apr 1863, 4,5; general meeting minutes, 23 Apr 1863, 124 or 125.
(14) RIAI council meeting minutes, 20 Feb 1868, 103-104.
(15) From English Census returns for 1841 and 1851 and Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(16) See note 15, above.


86 work entries listed in chronological order for OWEN, ENOCH TREVOR


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: ENGLAND, LIVERPOOL (LANCASHIRE), CANNING STREET, CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH
Date: 1856-57
Nature: Completion of unfinished church designed by an amateur architect to accommodate a larger congregation.
Refs: B 14, 15 Mar 1856, 146; 15, 7 Mar 1857, 244,135(illus.); designs exh.RHA 1861, nos. 561,562; DB 3, 15 May 1861, 507; 5, 1 Aug 1865, 184

Building: WALES, ABERYSTWITH, CLOCK TOWER
Date: 1857
Nature: ETO winnder of competition.
Refs: B 15, 24 Jan 1857, 47(illus.)

Building: ENGLAND, RUNCORN (CHESHIRE), CEMETERY
Date: 1858
Nature: Competition entrant.
Refs: B 16, 7 Aug 1858, 540

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL HIBERNIAN MILITARY SCHOOL
Date: 1860
Nature: ?Addition of chancel and vestry to Protestant chapel?
Refs: Drawing(s), monogrammed T.O., in NA, OPW records, old ref. F.12.1-4

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ADELAIDE ROAD, CATHOLIC APOSTOLIC CHURCH
Date: 1861
Nature: New Early English church erected. Original contractor was Mr Cahill but now being completed by day work.
Refs: B 19, 12 Oct 1861, 699;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005),  471.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, EAST PIER, BOYD MONUMENT
Date: 1861
Nature: Granite obelisk 'to the memory of Capt Boyd and his brave comrades'. Completed 12 Dec 1861. Contractor: Pat McDonogh, Kingstown..
Refs: Drawing in Royal St George Yacht Club (F.O'Dwyer); RHA 1861, no. 556 DB 3, 15 May,15 Nov,1,15 Dec 1861, 507,689,692,709

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, CROFTON ROAD, ROYAL ST GEORGE YACHT CLUB
Date: 1861
Nature: Proposed remodelling.
Refs: Sperspective view and elevation, s. & d. 1861, in collection of Royal St George Yacht Club (photographs in IAA); Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of the Board of Public Works 1831-1923', Public Works: the architecture of the Office of Public Works 1831-1987 (AAI, 1987), 20

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, ANGLESEA STREET, MODEL NATIONAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1862
Nature: New schools. Site purchased 1861. 4 gabled blocks in Italian Gothic style with campanile, similar to model schools at Enniskillen & Birr (therefore designed by J.H. Owen?)
Refs: Drawing(s), 1862, signed by E.T.O. and R.A. G[ibbons], in NA, OPW records, old ref.D.9.18; 3oth Report of the Board of Public Works Ireland (1861), 7.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, POLICE DEPOT
Date: 1863;1866
Nature: Officers' mess, 1863. Guard room & magazine, 1866. (According to Casey, ETO also designed riding school, 1864.)
Refs: Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 407; drawing(s) for guard room & magazine (also initialled R.J.S[tirling]) in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.6.;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 300.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1864
Nature: New coastguard station to accommodate 7 men and 1 officer, with watch house and boat house. Cost £2,400. Tenders invited Jun 1864.
Refs: Contract drawings in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.5.6; Builder, ? ? 1864, 781; General Advertiser, 4, 11 Jun 1864

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1864
Nature: Bankruptcy Building (N. range).
Refs: Drawings in NA, OPW records, old refs. B.8.6, B.7.11 and B.9.3

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, DEERKEEPER'S LODGE
Date: 1864
Nature: Proposed porch.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1864, also plan signed W.S. 1861, in NA, OPW records, old ref. G.3.6 (porch design repr. in Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 65)

Building: CO. MAYO, ROSS, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1864
Nature: New 7-bay station with tower Contractor: Anthony McLaughlin.
Refs: Designs in NA, OPW5HC/4/546

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, DUBLIN ROAD, DISTRICT MODEL SCHOOL
Date: 1864-67
Nature: Itallianate. Local likestone & Belfast bricks dressed with Dungannon sandstone and English blue bricks. Site obtained 1862. Design prepared 1864. Contract, 1865. Completed July 1867. Opened Sep 1867. Contractor: William Hague, Cavan.
Refs: Signed drawings in NA, Office of Public Works Drawings Collection (also unsigned design for residence); 31st Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1862), 7; DB 7, 15 Mar 1865, 82; IB 9, 15 Sep 1867, 243; EMS 1867-1867, 6 (copy in IAA, RPD.288.7) gives architect as James Higgins Owen

Building: CO. DONEGAL, TRIBANE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1865
Nature: Cottages & tower.
Refs: 8 drawings, 1865, 'examined ETO', in NA, OPW5HC/4/556

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, PHOENIX COLUMN
Date: 1865
Nature: New base.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. G.3.18

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL HIBERNIAN MILITARY SCHOOL
Date: 1865
Nature: Gates to Church Ave.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old refs. F.12.1-4

Building: CO. CLARE, MILTOWN MALBAY, SPANISH POINT, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1865
Nature: Design for chief officer's house & stable.
Refs: Drawing(s) initialled E.T.O[wen], 1865, in NA, OPW drawings collection (old ref. B.3.8)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHANCERY STREET, CENTRAL POLICE COURT
Date: 1865-66
Nature: '...a low granite-faced building with two double-height courtrooms, signalled by a ventilating tower at each end' (Casey, who gives architect as James Higgins Owen and date as 1866-8).
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. C.8.1;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 99.

Building: CO. CORK, CASTLETOWNSEND, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1866
Nature: Terrace of cottages with 2 gables and perforated barge-boards. Estimated cost 1,000.
Refs: Contract drawing(s), 1866, examined C.L[anauze] and E.T. Owen, in NA, OPW reords, old ref. A.8.8; DB 8, 15 Jul 1866, 185; B 24, 8 Sep 1866, 673

Building: CO. MAYO, BLACKSOD BAY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1866
Nature: Cottages with watch tower, store and boat-house. Italianate. Contract 1866.
Refs: 11 drawings 1866 examined by E.T. Owen, also initialled R.J. S[tirling], R.A. G[ibbons], C.L[anauze] & J.H.M[ellon] in NA, OPW 5HC/4/462; B 24, 2 Jun 1866, 413; DB 8, 15 Jun 1866, 160

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALL HILL, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1866
Nature: New.
Refs: Contract drawings, 1866, signed by ETO, R.J. Sirling, C. Lanauze, and R.A. Gibbons in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.5.3

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, FOUR COURTS
Date: 1866
Nature: Assists J.H. Owen in designing Record Repository. (According to Casey it was designed by E.T.O. and Robert J. Stirling, an built 1864-7.)
Refs: B 24, 16 Jun 1866, 450-51; DB 8, 1 Jul 1866, 166; design repr. Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 184;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 98-99.

Building: CO. KERRY, BALLYHEIGUE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1867
Nature: 2-storey terrace with stone battlementedtower.
Refs: Drawing, 1867, 'examined E.T.O', in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.6.8

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, GARDENER'S COTTAGE
Date: 1867
Nature: New. Builder: James Freeman.
Refs: Drawing(s), signed by E.T.Owen & R.A. Gibbons in NA, OPW records, old ref. G.3.8; IB 10, 15 Jan 1868, 24

Building: CO. WEXFORD, BALLYGEARY (ROSSLARE), COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1867-68
Nature: Stone built with central entrance & defence tower machicolated out at battlement level.
Refs: Drawings, 1867 (contract 1868) signed by J.H.Mellon, E.Trevor Owen and R.J.S[tirling], in NA, OPW5HC/4/439

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, DUBLIN ROAD, DISTRICT LUNATIC ASYLUM (ST CANICE'S HOSPITAL)
Date: 1867-68
Nature: Adaptation of existing terrace house by adding two single storey bays to ground floor, all 4 bays rusticated.
Refs: Drawing signed C.L[anauze], 5 Oct 1867, examined by J.H. Mellon & E.T.Owen, Jun 1868, contract, 19 Oct 1868, in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.7.14

Building: CO. CORK, BARRY'S COVE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868
Nature: New.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1868, 'examined E.T.O' in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.6.5

Building: CO. DONEGAL, MOVILLE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868-69
Nature: Terrace of cottages, ending in watch room block, with balcony, loopholes &c.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1868, signed E.T. Owen, and contract, 1869, in NA, OPW5HC/4/574 (old ref. A.12.6)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, MALIN HEAD, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868-69
Nature: Terrace of cottages, ending in watch room block, with balcony, loopholes &c.
Refs: Drawing(s), 1868, signed E.T. Owen, and contract, 1869, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.12.6

Building: CO. CORK, SCHULL, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868-70
Nature: Design, 1868. Contract, 1870.
Refs: Drawing(s), 'examined E.T.O, J.H.M[ellon]' in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.3.5

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLYCASTLE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1868?;1871-72
Nature: 2-storey block between 3-storey divisional officer's house and look-out tower with oriels on 3rd storey and pyramidal roof.
Refs: 9 drawings, 1871-72, examined by E.T. Owen (contract, signed 1872), in NA, OPW5HC/4/444, but seeB 26, 31 Oct 1868, 807, which says that FS of 5 houses and a tower adjoining station laid Oct 1868

Building: CO. CORK, MACROOM, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1869
Nature: Adds. (also 1866?)
Refs: Drawing(s), signed ETO, in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.2.2

Building: CO. KILDARE, ROBERTSTOWN, GRAND CANAL HOTEL
Date: 1869
Nature: Proposed conversion into RIC Barracks.
Refs: Drawing(s), signed ETO and C. L[anauze] in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.3.15

Building: CO. GALWAY, INISHBOFIN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1870
Nature: -
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, A.11.14

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BUNCRANA, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1870
Nature: Terrace of 3-storey cottages and watch tower with oriel windows. Builders: William Hutchinson and R. Colqhoun.
Refs: Contract drawing, 1870, examined by ETO, also signed by William Hutchinson & Robert Colqhoun, in NA, OPW5HC/4/474

Building: ENGLAND, CHESTER (CHESHIRE), CHURCH
Date: 1870
Nature: ETO exhibits design for church 'in course of erection near Chester' at RIAI conversazione, Dec 1869.
Refs: IB 12, 1 Jan 1870, 4

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, OVERSEER'S RESIDENCE
Date: 1870-72
Nature: Adds.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old refs. G.4.2, G.3.18.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, TEELIN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1871
Nature: Design presumably by ETO (cf. Seafield, CO. CLARE, and Derkmore, Sli)
Refs: 7 drawings, 1871-73 in NA/OPW5HC/4/562; IB 13, 1 Sep 1871, 230

Building: CO. CLARE, SEAFIELD, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1871
Nature: -
Refs: Drawing, 1871, in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.3; IB 13, 1 Sep 1871, 230

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, SEAFIELD, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1871
Nature: -
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.3

Building: CO. CORK, SKIBBEREEN, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1871
Nature: Scots baronial with tpower, basket-head windows, 2-storey to road, 3 to yard, also decached sub-inspector's house.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.4.1c

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1871
Nature: 3-storey, stone, with oriels and towers. Basket head windows.
Refs: Contract drawing(s), signed E.T.O. and R.A.S[tirling] in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.12.12

Building: CO. SLIGO, DERKMORE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1871
Nature: Terrace with watch tower, conical roof, oriel windows, &c.
Refs: Drawing in NA, OPW records, OPW5HC/4/499; IB 13, 1 Sep 1871, 230

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, POLICE DEPOT
Date: 1871
Nature: Works. By ETO?
Refs: IB 13, 1 Sep 1871, 230

Building: CO. KERRY, CAHIRCIVEEN, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1871
Nature: New male school.
Refs: Drawing(s) signed E.T.O. and dated 1871 in NA, OPW drawings collection (old ref. D.9.10)

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, QUAY STREET, CUSTOM HOUSE
Date: 1871-72
Nature: Rearrangement (because of building of Dundalk & Greenore railway station?) Doorway in wall by custom house, surmounted by royal coat of arms.
Refs: Drawing signed by J.H. Mellon, 14 Nov 1871, and another signed by ETO, 31 Dec 1871, in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.10.10

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, ROCHFORTBRIDGE, POLICE BARRACK
Date: 1872
Nature: 3-storey gabled Scots Baronial tower block.
Refs: Signed and dated drawing in NA, OPW drawings collection, OPW5HC/4/293.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, CONSTABLE'S COTTAGE
Date: 1872;1877
Nature: New; '...a picturesque two-storey house with a terracotta gambrel roof, turret and porch' (Casey).
Refs: Contract drawings, 1872, and further designs for proposed lodge, 1877, in NA, OPW records, old ref. G.3.5 (1877 design repr. in Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 36);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 311.

Building: CO. GALWAY, GORTRUMMAGH (BELLEEK), COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1873
Nature: Terrace of cottages with look-out tower.
Refs: Contract drawing, 1873, 'E.T.Owen examined', in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.10.9

Building: CO. CORK, GRANFEEN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1873
Nature: Terrace of cottages with look-out tower with conical roof.
Refs: Drawing(s), 'E.T. Owen, examined', 1873, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.10.3

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CECIL STREET LOWER, POST OFFICE
Date: 1873
Nature: Conversion of part of Northumberland Buildings into post office, with 8-bay facade to Cecil St Lower.
Refs: Drawing, signed and dated 1873, in NA, OPW5HC/4/671; IB 15, 1 Oct 1873, advt. for tenders; 43rd Report of Board of Public Works, Ireland (1874), 10

Building: CO. DONEGAL, MOVILLE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1873-74
Nature: Terrace of cottages with eaves, bargeboards & oriel windows.(New terrzce, boat house and watch house added, 1885.)
Refs: Drawing(s), signed E.T.Owen, 1873, & contract, 1874, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.12.13

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, POST OFFICE & CUSTOM HOUSE
Date: 1873-74
Nature: Shows influence of Museum building at Trinity. Contractor: James Ryan.
Refs: Drawings dated 1873 & agreement, 1874, in NA, OPW5HC/4/628; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 407

Building: CO. CORK, BALLYDONEGAN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1874
Nature: Terrace of cottages with tower with pyramidal roof, oriel windows and batter to walls.
Refs: Contract drawings, 1874, examined by ETO 1873, in NA, OPW5HC/4/450

Building: CO. WATERFORD, TRAMORE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1874
Nature: Cottages & tower with quoined corners.  Tenders invited for erecting same, Dec 1873.
Refs: Contract drawing, 1874, 'examined ETO', in NA, OPW5HC/4/557;  IB 15, 1 Dec 1873, advertisement.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1874
Nature: 3-storey, 5-bay, with 1-bay wings. Italianate with quoins and heavily moulded window frames.
Refs: Drawings signed ETO, also CL and MSW, 1874, in NA, OPW records, old ref. D.4.21

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ORDNANCE SURVEY OFFICE
Date: 1874
Nature: Lithography building.
Refs: Designs in NA, OPW records, G.2.2;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 302.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, BALLYMONEY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1874-75
Nature: Terrace of cottages with corner tower. 1st-floor oriels on corbels.
Refs: Contract drawing 'examined ETO' in NA, OPW5HC/4/454

Building: CO. GALWAY, COSTELLO BAY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1875
Nature: Terrace of cottages with oriel window on brackets at end.
Refs: Contract drawing, 1875, examined by ETO, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.8.15

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, POLICE BARRACK
Date: 1875
Nature: 3-storey, Gothic.
Refs: Contract drawing, 24 Mar 1875, in NA, OPW records, old. ref. D.2.10;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 473.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, RATHMULLEN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1875
Nature: New. Contractor: Matthew McClelland.
Refs: Drawings, signed by ETO and contractor and dated 1875, in NA/OPW5HC/4/858

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1875-76
Nature: Terrace with defence tower, oriel windows, bracket eaves &c. Contract, 1876.
Refs: Drawing(s) signed W.D.W (William David Williams?), 1875 and E.T.Owen, 1876, in NA, OPW drawings collection, OPW5HC/4/463.

Building: CO. DONEGAL, KILLYBEGS, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1875-76
Nature: Terrace of cottages with 3-storey tower, conical roof, oriel windows &c. Contractor: McClelland.
Refs: Drawings, examined by E.T.O., 1875, & contract drawing, 1876, in NA, OPW5HC/4/51; DB 8, 15 Nov 1866, 271; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 332

Building: CO. MAYO, ROSMONEY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1875-76
Nature: New 13-bay building with machilation and oriel window(s).
Refs: Designs, 1875-76, in NA, OPW5HC/4/572

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, OLIVER PLUNKETT STREET, POST OFFICE
Date: 1876
Nature: Proposed design. (Not executed)
Refs: Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 181 (illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NATIONAL GALLERY OF IRELAND
Date: 1876
Nature: Extension to Sculpture Gallery.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA. OPW records, old ref. H.1.3

Building: CO. KERRY, VENTRY, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1877
Nature: Terrace of cottages & look-out tower.
Refs: Contract drawing(s) 'examined by E.T.O' in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.4.12

Building: CO. CORK, HOW'S STRAND, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1877
Nature: Terrace of cottages with look-out tower.
Refs: Contract drawing(s), 1877, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.11.12

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HAROLD'S CROSS, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1877
Nature: Superintends sundry improvements in connection with memorial to Col Meadows Taylor 'of Indian and lioterar celebrity'. 4 new stained class windows by Mayer & Co. erected. Entire church repewed, entrances improved and organ enlarged. Service of thanksgiving for 'recent'  improvements held 25 May 1877.
Refs: IB 29, 1 Jun 1877, 158;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 19, no. 218, 1 Jun 1877, 183.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PHOENIX PARK, ROYAL HIBERNIAN MILITARY SCHOOL
Date: 1877
Nature: Enlargement of Catholic chapel. According to Casey, ETO  added another bay and bellcote to W end, ca 1870.
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. F.12.1-4;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 303.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MARINE ROAD, POST OFFICE
Date: 1877
Nature: 4-bay, 2-storey, granite-faced, Italianate post office. Contract signed, Oct 1877.  Contractor: Joseph Kelly. 
Refs: Drawing(s) in NA, OPW records, old ref. E.5.4;  Máire Crean, Lost Post: a selection of Ireland's post office buildings (Dublin, 2012), 74-75, figs. 4.43-47.

Building: CO. LOUTH, GREENORE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1877-78
Nature: Terrace of cottages & look-out tower, similar to Bray, Co. Wicklow. Tenders invited, Dec 1877.
Refs: Drawing(s), 'E.T.O. examined', 1878, in NA, OPW records, old ref. A.10.11; Dundalk Democrat 8 Dec 1877

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, POST OFFICE
Date: 1877;1880
Nature: Alts. to telegraph office, 1877. Plans to incorporate Custom House, 1880 (did this ever happen?).
Refs: Drawing signed by A.T. Williams, 1877, and another signed by ETO, 1880, in NA, OPW records, old ref. E.3.9

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, ROSCOMMON, POLICE BARRACK
Date: 1878-79
Nature: Proposed conversion of former bridewell into RIC barrack.
Refs: Plans, initialled ETO and EK, in NA, OPW Drawings Collection, OPW5HC/4/

Building: CO. CORK, MILLSTREET, POLICE BARRACKS
Date: 1879
Nature: New?
Refs: Plans, 1879, examined by E.T.O. in NA, OPW records, D.2.7

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, COUNTY GAOL (NEW)
Date: 1879
Nature: Alts. to central governor's block; extension? to C of I chapel
Refs: Signed sketch, 28 Oct 1879, in NA, OPW records, old ref.E.12.4

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, COUNTY GAOL
Date: 1879
Nature: Enlargement of cells and roofing over of airing yard.
Refs: Designs, 1879, in NA, OPW5HC/4/415 (old ref. E.12.5)

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE
Date: 1879
Nature: Western road gatehouse, by E.T. Owen and/or J.H.Owen. Contractor: E. Fitzgerald, Cork. Metal gates by John Perrot, Cork. (Demolished in late 1920s)
Refs: IB 21, 1 May 1879, 130; 60, 2 Mar 1918, 119; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 559,n32

Building: CO. CORK, YOUGHAL, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 187?
Nature: New.
Refs: Plans, 'examined E.T.O', in NA, OPW records, old ref. B.4

Building: CO. CORK, MIDLETON, POLICE BARRACK
Date: 1880
Nature: Conversion of former bridewell into RIC barrack; one gable added to make a two-gabled building.
Refs: Drawing(s), sighed E.T. Owen, 1880, in NA, OPW raecords, old raef. D.2.5

Building: CO. CORK, BUTTEVANT, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1880
Nature: New L-shaped male school.
Refs: Signed drawing(s), dated 1880, in NA, OPW drawings collection (old rev. D.9.8); 48th Report of the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland (1881), 128

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, CROFTON ROAD, HARBOUR MASTER'S HOUSE
Date: 1880-81
Nature: Proposed rebuilding, 1880.
Refs: Contract drawing(s), 1880, in NA, OPW records, old ref. F.5.3 (section and roof plan repr.in Rena Lohan, Guide to the Archives of the Office of Public Works(OPW 1994), 35)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, COURT HOUSE
Date: 1880-81
Nature: New court house. Symmetrical front consisting of. gabled central block with 3 roundheaded windows, flanking single-bay wings each containing door with window above. Contract agreed 16 Aug 1881. Contractor: James Monaghan; 'undistinguished' (Brett). (Presentment Book 1891, p.15, item 201 (1892 presentment) lists rent paid for 'site of new court house', May-Nov 1891; does this mean that it had not been built by this date?)
Refs: Drawings, signed by ETO and Alfred R. Owen, 1880, agreed with James Monaghan, contractor, 16 Aug 1881, and in NA, OPW5HC/4/395 C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 58

Building: CO. CLARE, BALLYVAUGHAN, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: 1881-82
Nature: Terrace of coastguards' cottages.
Refs: 5 drawings in NA, OPW5HC/4/451; Architect 28, 22 Jul 1882, 57

Building: CO. CORK, BALTIMORE, COASTGUARD STATION
Date: ?
Nature: Design for proposed coastguard station.
Refs: NLI AD 3531-3534

Author Title Date Details
Owen, Enoch Trevor 'On the grouping of mediaeval buttresses and pinnacles' 1864 DB 6, 1 Apr 1864, 58. (Paper read to RIAI, 17 Mar 1864; see also IB 13, 15 Jun 1871, 154,155(illus.)) and RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, (1863-6) 1-4.)
Owen, Enoch Trevor 'Perspective in its application to architectural design' 1866 DB 8, 1 Feb 1866, 34,37(illus.); RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-4 to 1869-70, 21-24 (illus.). (Paper read to RIAI, 17 Mar 1864.)
Owen, Enoch Trevor 'Architectural details in common use' 1873 IB 15, 1,15 Feb 1873, 40,50; Architect 9, 15,22 Feb 1873, 85,104. (Paper read to AAI, 30 Jan 1873.)