Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect, of Limerick. William Henshaw Owen, a son of JACOB OWEN  JACOB OWEN was born in 1813 and, like his father, entered the service of the Board of Works. In January 1836 he was sent by the Board from Dublin to Limerick to act as its representative there and to be the Shannon Commissioners' resident engineer for the district. In Limerick he oversaw the building of Thomond Bridge (1836-1840) to designs by JAMES PAIN  JAMES PAIN and GEORGE RICHARD PAIN GEORGE RICHARD PAIN , the Savings Bank (1839) in Glentworth Street to designs by THOMAS DEANE  THOMAS DEANE and designed the Mathew Bridge (1844-46).

William Owen may have subsequently emigrated to the United States, as he died suddenly  in San Francisco on 1 June, 1853.(1) He had married Margaret O'Donohue.(2)

Address: Thomas Street, Limerick, 1837;(3) Mallow Street, Limerick, circa 1841.(3)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 25-6,41-2,49,553,n.100.

(1) Freeman's Journal, 4 Aug 1853.
(2) Information from F. O'Dwyer (genealogical notes on the Owen family).
(3) Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), list of subscribers.
(3) New Triennial & Commercial Directory, for the years 1840, 41 & 42, of the cities of Limerick, Waterford & Kilkenny (information extracted from Limerick City directories by Michael Maguire, Limerick City Library).


8 work entries listed in chronological order for OWEN, WILLIAM HENSHAW


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, THOMOND BRIDGE
Date: 1836-1840
Nature: W.H.O resident engineer for new bridge.
Refs: David Lee, 'James and George Pain - Gothic Architects' in David Lee & Christine Gonzalez, eds., Georgian Limerick 1714-1845, II (Limerick Civic Trust, 2000), 307-320(illus.)

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, FRENCHPARK (NEAR), BRIDGE AND ROAD
Date: 1837
Nature: Road to Castlerea and bridge on same.
Refs: Drawings in NA, OPW Engineering & Architectural Drawings - Roads and Bridges collection, OPW5HC/6/0238 & 0239

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, GLENTWORTH STREET, SAVINGS BANK
Date: 1839
Nature: W.H.Owen executive architect for building designed by Thomas Deane. (Limerick Chronicle, 6 Apr 1839, says that Owen was architect and Thomas Deane & Co. were contractors;  this also seems to be implied by JA's letter to Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal.)
Refs: Civil Engineer and Architect's Journal 3 (Nov, 1840), 379; Judith Hill, The Building of Limerick(1991), 134; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (1997), 23-25; David Lee & Debbie Jacobs, James Pain, architect (Limerick Civic Trust, 2005), 325

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, MERCHANTS QUAY, POTATO MARKET
Date: 1843
Nature: New market erected on site of Long Dock. Cost £1,200. Contractor: John Duggan.
Refs: Inscription on stone tablet near Mathew Bridge; Limerick Chronicle, 21 Jun,26 Jul 1843, cited by David Lee & Debbie Jacobs, James Pain, architect (Limerick Civic Trust, 2005), ?; M. Lenihan, Limerick; its history and antiquities (1866), 501

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, MATHEW BRIDGE
Date: 1844-46
Nature: Designed by WHO. Opened Jun 1846. Contractor: John Duggan.
Refs: Sean Spellissy, The History of Limerick City (1998), 129

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CIRCULAR ROAD NORTH, DERRAVOHER
Date: ?
Nature: Detached house with twin gables with bargeboards and open-sided porch situated under gabled bay.
Refs: North Munster Antiquarian Journal (1957), 1

Building: CO. LIMERICK, TIVOLI
Date: ?
Nature: New house (also known as Woodville?).
Refs: North Munster Antiquarian Journal (1957), 1

Building: WALES, CAERLEON, ROMAN MUSEUM
Date: ?
Nature: 'In Glentworth Street [Limerick] is the Savings Bank by W.H. Owen, in the form of a small Doric temple, identical to this architect's Roman Museum at Caerleon…'
Refs: Maurice Craig & the Knight of Glin, Ireland Observed (1970), 78