OWEN, ALFRED RICHARD
- Born: 1863/4 Died: 1914
Architect, of Dublin. Alfred Richard Owen, who, according to the 1911 census, was born in Co. Dublin in 1863 or 1864, was the second son of ENOCH TREVOR OWEN , assistant architect and chief draughtsman in the Office of Public Works. He became his father's pupil in about 1878 but his pupillage was cut short after three years by his father's sudden death in April 1881. By this time he had already been employed for two years in the architect's department of the Office of Public Works, where he was to remain until his own death. His obituarist in the Irish Builder recorded that, in addition to his work for the Board, Owen also 'regularly assisted several well-known Dublin architects in the preparation of drawings when there was any pressure of work in their offices, being an extraordinarily neat, rapid, and skilful draughtsman and an indefatigable worker, often accomplishing as much drawing in a single evening after office hours as an ordinary assistant would do in a week'. He assisted JAMES JOSEPH FARRALL in this way for many years.
Owen, who was deaf all his life, died at the age of fifty(1) on 18 January 1914 shortly after undergoing an operation and was buried at Mount Jerome cemetery on 21 January. According to the 1911 census, he had married his wife, Mary, circa 1890 and had an only daughter, Muriel.
Address: 18 Annesley Park, Rathmines, 1892-1897;(2) Portobello House, at time of death.(3)
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile) and from the obituary of Owen in IB 56, 31 Jan 1914, 83.
(1) Mount Jerome records; the Mrs Mary Atkinson Owen, who died aged 59 on 23 Dec 1925 at 43 Upper Beechwood Ave and is buried in the same plot, was probably his wife..
(2) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories.
(3) See note 1, above.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for OWEN, ALFRED RICHARD
|Building:||CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, COURT HOUSE|
|Nature:||New court house. Symmetrical front consisting of. gabled central block with 3 roundheaded windows, flanking single-bay wings each containing door with window above. Contract agreed 16 Aug 1881. Contractor: James Monaghan; 'undistinguished' (Brett). (Presentment Book 1891, p.15, item 201 (1892 presentment) lists rent paid for 'site of new court house', May-Nov 1891; does this mean that it had not been built by this date?)|
|Refs:||Drawings, signed by ETO and Alfred R. Owen, 1880, agreed with James Monaghan, contractor, 16 Aug 1881, and in NA, OPW5HC/4/395; C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 58|