Selected: OPPENHEIMER, LUDWIG, LTD *#


Born: -
Died: -


Mosaic artists, of Old Trafford, Manchester, who executed mosaic decoration in many buildings in Ireland over a period ranging from the 1890s until the 1960s.

The founder of the firm, Ludwig Oppenheimer, was born into an Orthodox Jewish merchant banking family in Brunswick, Germany, in 1830. Sent to Manchester to improve his English, he fell in love with Susan McCulloch, the niece of the Scottish couple with whom he took lodgings and converted to Christianity. As a result he was cut off by his parents and became an apprentice mosaicist in Venice, returning to Manchester to marry Susan and to establish a mosaics business in the city in 1865. By 1881, according to the census for that year, he was employing thirteen men and fifteen women.  Of his six sons, four - Lehmann, Louis, Albert and William - worked for the firm, while Charles, who became a painter, also contributed designs for mosaics.   Lehmann enlisted during the First World War and died as the result of gassing on 8 November 1916.(1) The family firm was sold to the third son, Albert.  Lehmann's son Eric Newton (who changed his surname to that of his mother's family) had been designing for the firm before he enlisted in the army on the outbreak of the war and rejoined it in 1918.   While still preparing designs for the firm, he embarked on a career as an art historian and critic, eventually leaving the family business in 1933 and moving to London. The firm carried on in Manchester until 1965, when, a full century after its foundation, it eventually closed.

See WORKS, for Irish work only.

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Robert Field, 'L. Oppenheimer and the Mosaics of Eric Newton', a paper delivered at the 2006 conference of the Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society, 'Church Ceramics: decorative tiles, mosaic and terracotta during and after the Gothic Revival', http://www.tilesoc.org.uk/events/conference2006/papers/pdf/field.pdf (last visited Dec 2021). 


(1)   He is buried in the Eastern Graveyard at Boulogne, see Commonwealth War Graves Commission, http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1 (last visited Dec 2012).

24 work entries listed in chronological order for OPPENHEIMER, LUDWIG, LTD *#


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NATIONAL MUSEUM
Date: 1890
Nature: Mosaic floor.
Refs: Michael Holland, UCC Heritage Centre, citing www.hoi.ie/dubguide/nmiah.shtml

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1892-94;1898;1909a
Nature: Sanctuary floor mosaics; floor of Lady Chapel (and Sacred Heart chapel?), high altar panels, communion railing passage, Good Counsel shrine (other mosaic work by T.C. Edwards, Ruabon). Mosaic flooring of McCarthy chapel, 1909a.
Refs:     www.foscc.com;  Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 252(illus.);  Ann Wison, 'The Gothic Revival in Ireland:  St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh (1868-1916)', Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 11.2 (2007), 33-34(illus.);40(illus.).
Delete WorkEdit Work
Refs: www.foscc.com;  Ann Wilson, 'The building of St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 7 (2004), 252(illus.);  Ann Wilson, 'The Gothic Revival in Ireland:  St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh (1868-1916)', Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 11.2 (2007), 33-34(illus.);40(illus.).


Building: CO. LONGFORD, LONGFORD, ST MEL'S ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST MEL (RC)
Date: 1893a
Nature: Mosaic work.
Refs: IB 35, 15 Apr 1893, 95.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1900p
Nature: Mosaic decoration of nave, spandrils of crossing, transepts, tower porches and passage floors.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.8; Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral (1904), 64

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, RODEN PLACE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC PRO-CATHEDRAL)
Date: 1909
Nature: Mosaic work on walls of chancel and side chapels
Refs: Rev. J.F. Stokes, St Patrick's Dundalk Centenary Record, ? (B. of I); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 265

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, ST FLANNAN STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE ROSARY (RC)
Date: 1910ca
Nature: Mosaic decoration in chancel..
Refs: Design in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.133/2; Irish Catholic Directory (1927), illus. facing p. 49

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BEECHWOOD AVENUE UPPER (RANELAGH), CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME (RC)
Date: 1914
Nature: Marble mosaic flooring in sanctuary and side chapels.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 20 Jun 1914.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, COLLEGE ROAD, UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, HONAN CHAPEL
Date: 1916
Nature: Mosaic work on floor and opus sectile Stations of the Cross in nave arcading. For John Robert O'Connell, trustee of Honan family bequest. Name of designer unknown.
Refs: Paul Larmour, 'The Honan Chapel, Cork', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 5 (2002), 29-30(illus.),36-38(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, TAGHMON, CHURCH OF OUR LADY & ST FINTAN (RC)
Date: 1923-24
Nature: Mosaic work in sanctuary, for Rev. William Fortune, PP.
Refs: Rita Curtis, 'St Fintan's Church' in Taghmon Historical Society I (1996), 14 (http://homepage.eircom.net/~taghmon/histsoc/vol1/14rita/14rita.htm)

Building: CO. OFFALY, CLARA, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1925
Nature: Mosaics in sanctuary.
Refs: Design formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, BOYLE, ST VINCENT'S CONVENT
Date: 1928
Nature:

Mosaic floor for sanctuary, in terracotta, black and ochre (not executed?)

Refs: Designs, dated 1928, in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc.2006/142

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CLARE STREET, CONVENT OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Date: 1929-30
Nature: Proposed mosaic decoration of columns in chapel, 1929, and semi-domes in side chapels, 1930.
Refs: Designs formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, FALLS ROAD, ST MARY'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1930ca
Nature: Celtic style mosaic floor in sanctuary.
Refs: Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 82 (no.188)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CATHAL BRUGHA STREET, ST THOMAS'S CHURCH (CI, NEW)
Date: 1931p
Nature: Mosaic in apse.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 125.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, NEW ROSS, CONVENT OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Date: 1934
Nature: Proposed mosaic decoration of chapel sanctuary.
Refs: Design formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son

Building: CO. MAYO, ACHILL SOUND, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1935
Nature: Chapel floor.
Refs: Signed drawing, dated 21 Mar 1935, in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc.2006/142

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CLONSKEAGH, BIRD AVENUE, CHURCH OF THE MIRACULOUS MEDAL (RC)
Date: 1958
Nature: Mosaic work, completed 1958.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p 270/3

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROMISKIN, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1961
Nature: Proposed extension of mosaic decoration of sanctuary.
Refs: Drawing(s) in W.H. Byrne & Son collection, Piles 9,11,24; other unsigned, undated mosiac schemes (perhaps also by Oppenheimer) in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.47; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 249

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, CATHEDRAL OF CHRIST THE KING (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Sanctuary mosaics.
Refs: Cathedral of Christ the King, Mullingar: a guide (B. of I.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 418

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, QUEEN STREET, CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE OF SIENNA (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: ?
Nature: Mosaic decoration in chancel & chapels.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman drawings collection, Acc. 76/1.137/1-7

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CLONARD GARDENS, CHURCH OF THE HOLY REDEEMER (RC, REDEMPTORIST)
Date: ?
Nature: Mosaics in same? See garbled account of church on web: 'This church, also known as the Church of the Holy Redeemer, occupies a dramatic site on one wing of a three-sided courtyard….Clonard was designed in early French Gothic style by Ludwig Oppenheimer and built in 1897 by the Naughton brothers of Randalstown. It …contains mosaics from Gabriel Loire of Chartres.'
Refs: www.gotobelfast.com

Building: CO. KERRY, LISTOWEL, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Mosaic work.
Refs: Michael Holland, UCC Heritage Centre, citing www.kerry-insight.com

Building: CO. GALWAY, KINVARA, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: ?
Nature: Mosaic in sanctuary of chapel (i.e. St Joseph's church).
Refs: Tom May, Churches of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora (Galway, 2000),110,111(illus.). 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, THOMAS STREET, CHURCH OF SS AUGUSTINE & JOHN (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Mosaics in Sacred Heart chapel.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 628.