Selected: ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD


Born: 1863
Died: 1938


Architect, of Dublin. Richard Francis Caulfield Orpen was born at Oriel, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, on 24 December 1863, the eldest son of Arthur Herbert Orpen, a solicitor, and his wife, Anne, eldest daughter of the Right Rev. Charles Caulfield, Bishop of Nassau. The painter William Orpen (1878-1931) was the youngest of his three brothers. He was educated at St Columba's College, Rathfarnham, and Trinity College, Dublin. According to his pupil and future partner, PAGE LAWRENCE DICKINSON PAGE LAWRENCE DICKINSON , he had originally hoped to make a career in art - his father was a keen amateur artist - but took up architecture instead 'for family reasons'. He spent four years as a pupil in the office of THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , and stayed on as managing assistant for a further seven years. In about 1884, while he was in Drew's office, he started to take part in the annual excursions of the London Architectural Association; later he was to be active in the revival of the Architectural Association of Ireland. He established his own practice at 22 Clare Street in 1888 or 1889 (the year in which he makes his first appearance in the directories). His commissions came largely from members of the Protestant landed gentry and professional classes, for whom he designed houses in the country and in the neighbourhood of Dublin. The writer who interviewed him for the Irish Builder in 1904 credits him with being 'the originator of the bungalow in Ireland', responsible for 'quite a colony of pretty red-tiled gabled houses in the fashionable residential district of Foxrock'.(1) Orpen also did a considerable amount of work for the Church of Ireland, and in 1910 was appointed architect to Christ Church Cathedral in succession to Drew.(2) He was also architect to St Patrick's Cathedral,(3) to St Canice's Cathedral, Kilkenny, to Trinity College and to St Columba's College, Rathfarnham.

In 1910 Orpen formed a partnership with Page Dickinson which lasted - in theory - until about 1918, although it effectively ended when Dickinson left to serve in the Great War. After the war, Dickinson moved to England. Orpen continued to practise on his own; his commissions now included war memorials and schemes for rebuilding country houses destroyed in the Troubles. His last work to be recorded in the Irish Builder dates from 1932.

Orpen had a remarkable facility as a draughtsman, cartoonist and painter in watercolour. ALFRED EDWIN JONES ALFRED EDWIN JONES , in his manuscript notes on Orpen, describes the occasion at the 21st anniversary meeting of the revived AAI in 1917 when he painted a watercolour seascape in front of the assembled members, working with both hands at lightning speed; he also recalls seeing him draw a full-size detail of a baluster with a pencil in each hand, outlining the left and right sides simultaneously.(4) In 1886 Orpen drew a lively title page for the Architectural Association Sketchbook (New series, Vol. 6). He exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1888 onwards, showing works - which included very few architectural designs - every year from 1906 until 1936.  He also showed his work with almost equal regularity at the exhibitions of the Water Colour Society of Ireland from 1908 onwards.  'His composition, his colour and his knowledge of values are all above criticism,' a reviewer wrote of his watercolours in the Irish Builder in 1910, 'but beyond this there is a rare feeling of poetry and mystery.'(5)  In Orpen's obituary in the Irish Builder, Harry Allberry observed that his watercolours 'possessed a quality of freshness and brilliancy which were innate in Orpen himself'. In 1895 he became honorary secretary of the Arts & Crafts Society of Ireland, under the presidency of the Earl of Mayo. In 1914 he was appointed a guardian of the National Gallery of Ireland;(6) he was also honorary secretary of the Municipal Gallery.(7) He designed a new heading for the Irish Builder in 1899(8) and in 1926 acted as assessor for the prize awarded by that journal to a student for measured drawings.(9) Described by Allberry as a 'breezy raconteur' and an amusing after-dinner speaker, he gave frequent talks and lectures on a variety of subjects.(10)

Orpen was blessed with a genial and sunny nature. 'Orpenism and optimism to my mind, are synonymous terms', wrote the author of an interview with him published in the Irish Builder in 1922. He died aged seventy-four on 27 March 1938 at Coologe, the house in Carrickmines which he had designed for himself many years earlier. He had married on 7 March 1900 Violet, second daughter of Colonel Robert Caulfield, of Camolin House, Co. Wexford, but had no children. His pupils and assistants included PAGE LAWRENCE DICKINSON PAGE LAWRENCE DICKINSON , FRANK E. SPARROW  FRANK E. SPARROW and perhaps ALEXANDER E.H. IRWIN.  ALEXANDER E.H. IRWIN.

AAI: first president of revived association, 1896-1898;(11) designs crest;(12) reads paper on 'Domestic Interior', 19 December 1899;(13) reads paper, 'Random Notes on Design', 12 April 1904.(14)
AA (London): elected member, 1883.(15)
RIAI:(16) elected member, 4 Jun 1888, having been proposed by A.E. MURRAY  MURRAY and Thomas Drew;(17) allowed preliminary exam (what does this mean?) and ?also qualified for RIBA, 2 December 1889;(18) auditor, 1895; council member, <=1901->=1936; hon. secretary, 1904-1905;(19) elected fellow, 1906;(20) designs new seal, 1908;(21) vice-president, 1911-1913;(22) president, 1914-16;(23) gives talk, 'Charter v. Registration', June?1914;(24) designs badges for RIBA Dublin Conference, June 1931;(25) gives talk, 'Memories of the Nineties', June 1932.(26)
RHA: elected associate, 27 Apr 1911;(27) elected member, 18 January 1912.(28)

Addresses:(29) Work: 22 Clare Street, Dublin, <=1889-1894; 7 Leinster Street, 1895-1904; 13 South Frederick Street, 1905->=1936.
Home: Oriel, Grove Avenue, Blackrock, from birth until 1900; Coologe, Carrickmines, <=1907 until death.

See WORKS, BIBLIOGRAPHY BIBLIOGRAPHY . See also works of ORPEN & ORPEN & amp; DICKINSON. DICKINSON.

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Burke's Irish Family Records (1976), 939, the interviews with Orpen in IB 46, 27 Aug 1904, 548 (with a portrait photograph) and IB 64, 11 Mar 1922, 145 (with a portrait photograph which is also reproduced with his obituary in IB), from the entry in E. Macdowel Cosgrave, ed., Dublin and County Dublin in the Twentieth Century (1908), 268 (with a portrait photograph, which also appears in IB 52, 26 Nov 1910, 718; 53, 13 May 1911, 321; IB 55, 20 Dec 1913, 789, and IB Jubilee Number (1909), 26) and from the obituary by Harry Allberry in IB 80, 2 Apr 1938, 272. For an account of Orpen as an artist, see Theo Snoddy, Dictionary of Irish Artists: 20th Century (1996), 375-6. A portrait of Orpen painted by his brother William is at St Columba's College, Rathfarnham. This may be the portrait referred to and/or reproduced in JRIAI (1914), 1, and IB 56, 12 Sep 1914, 534. He also appears in Sean Keating's group, 'Homage to Hugh Lane' (1924) in the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art. A memorial window by Catherine O'Brien in the chapel of St Columba's College depicts the buildings which he designed for the college.(Information from Carmel Doyle, DIB) Orpen appears in a group photographs of members of council of the RIAI in IB 74, 27 Feb 1932, 200.

(1) IB 46, 27 Aug 1904, 548.
(2) IB 52, 30 Apr 1910, 269; Building News, 6 May 1910, 641.
(3) IB 55, 20 Dec 1913, 789.
(4) In Jones file O86; the story of the watercolour appears in Jones's 'Reminiscences of a Dublin Architect', in IB 111, 3 May 1969, 295. The sketch was bought by Hubert J. Lundy.
(5) IB 52, 5 Mar 1910, 146; drawings by him are in IB 53, 16 Sep 1911,suppl.; 54, 3 Aug 1912, suppl.
(6) IB 56, 20 Jun 1914, 374.
(7) IB Jubilee Number (1909), 26; see also IB 52, 12 Nov 1910, ?
(8) IB 44, 1 Sep 1899, 109.
(9) IB 68, 12 Jun,30 Oct 1926, 450,801; 69, 8 Jan 1927, 9.
(10) See AAI and RIAI below, see also IB 43, 13 Feb 1901, 625; 54, 21 Dec 1912, 713.
(11) The date of his marriage is given as 7 Mar 1890 in Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland
(10) Lists of past office holders in AAI Green Books.
(12) IB 80, 15 Oct? 1938, ?
(13) IB 42, 1 Jan 1900, 225.
(14) IB 46, 9 Apr 1904, 205.
(15) List of members in AA Yearbook, 1930.
(16) From lists of officers and members in JRIAI unless otherwise stated.
(17) RIAI council meeting minutes, 6 Feb 1888, 261; general meeting minutes, 4 Jun 1888, 264.
(18) RIAI council meeting minutes, 2 Dec 1889, 278.
(19) IB 45, 19 Nov 1903, ?.
(20) RIAI general meeting minutes, 29 May 1906, 414.
(21) IB 50, 12 Dec 1908, 782; JRIAI (1921), 7.
(22) IB 52, 26 Nov 1910, 718.
(23) IB 55, 20 Dec 1913, 789.
(24) IB 56, 20 Jun 1914, 380.
(25) Handbook for Delegates to the Annual Conference at Dublin (RIBA, 1931), vi.
(26) JRIAI (1933), 9.
(27) IA & C 1, 6 May 1911, 203; IB 53, 13 May 1911, 321; Building News 100, 19 May 1911, 696; W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 632.
(28) Strickland, loc. cit.).
(29) From Thom's directories (or Jones's transcripts from same), AAI and RIAI lists of members.

82 work entries listed in chronological order for ORPEN, RICHARD FRANCIS CAULFIELD


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. WATERFORD, TRAMORE, BRANCH ROAD, QUAKER MEETING HOUSE
Date: 1869
Nature: New quaker meeting house hopened 1869.
Refs: D.M.Butler, The Quaker Meeting Houses of Ireland (2004), 122-3(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 007 (NORTHERN FIRE & LIFE ASSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1885
Nature: Competition entrant.
Refs:

Perspective view by RCO in Dundalk Grammar School, 2008.


Building: CO. KILDARE, BALLINTAGGART
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Gabled additions to existing early 19th house for Col. John Bonham 'said to have been' designed by RCO.
Refs: Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 19

Building: CO. DERRY, COLERAINE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (CI, COLERAINE PARISH)
Date: 1894
Nature: Pulpit.
Refs: Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 204-5

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LINCOLN PLACE, DENTAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1894-96
Nature: Plans prepared for new building, 1894. Contractor: John Good, Gt Brunswick St. Opened 19 Feb 1896, tho' still incomplete, over £4,000 having been expended. FS of future wing at E. end of main block (nearest gate into Trinity) laid on same day.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Feb 1898, 21

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION ROAD (BALLSBRIDGE), ROYAL DUBLIN SOCIETY
Date: 1896
Nature: RFCO designer of Cyclopia Grand Fete and Bazaar in aid of building fund and amalgamation of Opthalmic Hospital, Lincoln Place, and National eye & Ear Infirmary, Molesworth St.  Work carried out by Mssrs. Womersley of Leeds, 'the most famous bazaar architects in the world'. Took place 19-23 May 1896.
Refs: Irish Times, 23 Mar, 7,8,19 May 1896.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CASTLE STREET, DUBLIN CASTLE
Date: 1897
Nature: Mural tablet commemorating Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in St Patrick's Hall. For Lord Lieutenant, Earl Cadogan.
Refs: IB 46, 27 Aug 1904, 548

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1897-98
Nature: Restoration of south end of cloisters, New Schoolroom and New Wing (Cadogan Wing) after fire of Dec 1896. Opened by Earl Cadogan, 17 May 1898.
Refs: IB 45, 24 Sep 1903, 1988; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 52-53

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AILESBURY ROAD, HOUSE (CORREEN?)
Date: 1898
Nature: Design for house for R. Manifold exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1898, no. 448

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 017 (UNIVERSITY CLUB)
Date: 1898
Nature: Enlargement of smoking room. Estimated cost £978.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0804, B18/24, A08 (Jul 1898)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, MOUNT TOWN LOWER, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (CI)
Date: 1898
Nature: Sundry works, including extension of chancel and new organ.  Dedicated, 1 Mar 1898. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 40, 1 Mar 1898, 39;  Irish Times, 2 Mar 1898.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, ALEXANDRA COLLEGE
Date: 1899-1890
Nature: Adds. 'rapidly assuming shape; they have already given quite a Collegiate aspect to the rather bare exterior'. Opened Spring 1900 by Princess Christian. Contracto: S.H. Bolton & Sons. Cost: £7,000. Heating & ventilation by Maguire & Gatchell.
Refs: IB 41, 15 Jul 1899, 88; 42, 1 Mar,1 Apr,1 May 1900, 293,323,347; B 78, 17 Mar 1900, 272

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, ALEXANDRA COLLEGE
Date: 1899-1900
Nature: Alterations, including enlargement of Jellicoe Hall and gymnasium beneath it, new cloakroom, new classrooms above Jellicoe Hal and new music rooms above them.  Also enlargement of residence house dining room and new bedrooms.  Builder:  Samuel H. Bolton & Sons. Estimated cost: £7,000. Opened, 19 Apr 1900.
Refs: Appeal for funds in Irish Times, 26 Jan 1899;  Irish Times, 8 Feb,20 Apr 1900.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, FOXROCK, WESTMINSTER ROAD, CLUAN-NA-GREINE
Date: 1900
Nature: New house for Alfred St George Hamilton.
Refs: Letter from RFCO to J.P. Wrenn, 30 Jun 1900, in IAA, James Purcell Wrenn collection, Acc. 2009/20, on loan from Mrs Dympna Carton and Mrs Oonagh Maguire.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DRUMCONDRA ROAD LOWER, CHURCH OF ST AIDAN (CI)
Date: 1901
Nature: New chapel of ease for Clonliffe district of St George's parish. FS laid by Archbishop of Dublin 12 Oct 1901. Contractor: Robert Farquharson, Jones's Rd. Cost: £2,400.
Refs: IB 43, 18 Jul,10,24Oct 1901, 799,888,905; E. MacDowell Cosgrave & Leonard R. Strangways, Visitors’ Guide to Dublin and Neighbourhoods (Dublin & London, [1907]), 70

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAND CANAL STREET LOWER, SIR PATRICK DUN'S HOSPITAL
Date: 1901
Nature: Proposed new dispensary.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0838, B19/52, A08 (Aug 1901)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDYMOUNT, PROTESTANT COTTAGE HOME (BRABAZON HOUSE?)
Date: 1901
Nature: New? Estimated cost £1,975
Refs: IAA, PKS B19/51 and A08 (Aug 1901)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, BRENNANSTOWN ROAD, LISHEENS
Date: 1901-2;1913
Nature: Edwardian Tudor house designed by RCO for his brother Charles St George Orpen. Extended 1913.
Refs: IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 80(illus. in supplement);   Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 185

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SERPENTINE AVENUE (SANDYMOUNT), NO. 001-9
Date: 1904
Nature: Improvements. Contractor: Pemberton.
Refs: IB 46, 13 Feb 1904, 86

Building: CO. KILDARE, ROSEBORO (NAAS)
Date: 1906
Nature: Extensive alts. & adds. for Lady Albreda Bourke. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Brighton Building and Engineering Works, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 48, 2 Jun 1906, 446.

Building: CO. KILDARE, OLDTOWN (NAAS), HOUSE (KEREDORN?)
Date: 1906
Nature: New house for Col. Wogan Browne. Contractor: R.E. Mellon.
Refs: IB 48, 24 Mar 1906, 242

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, HENDRE
Date: 1906
Nature: Proposed house and garden building. House was lived in by Lt. Col. W.E. Roberts in 1907 and 1915)
Refs: Signed drawings, dated May 1906, in IAA, Acc. 2000/78

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEMACGARRETT (CLAREMORRIS)
Date: 1906-07
Nature: Remodelling, for Lord Oranmore & Browne. Contractor: William Beckett, Percy Pl, Dublin. Clerk of works for building of first section: Charles Goodwin. Heating and plumbing by Maguire & Gatchell.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1909, no. 299 ?and Irish International Exhibition, Dublin, 1907, No. 381 ('Design for a residence, Co. Mayo'); IB 48, 24 Mar 1906, 239; 49, 6 Apr 1907, 254; 51, 23 Jan 1909, 37,41(illus.; another illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. KILDARE, COURTOWN (KILCOCK)
Date: 1906a
Nature: Enlargement, for Maj. John Algernon Aylmer, completed. Contractor: James P. Pile.
Refs: IB 48, 22 Sep 1906, 749;  Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 93

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, KNOCKMARK (DRUMCREE)
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts. and extensive adds. to residence of T.B. Donnelly. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey.
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 562

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ARDAMINE (GOREY)
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Maj. Arthur William Mordaunt Richards, DL. Contractor: Duncan, Gorey. (House burnt July 1921)
Refs: IB 49, 10 Aug 1907, 562

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, CARRAROE PARK
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts. & adds., for T.C.E. Goff, Esq., DL. Tender of Wm. Beckett, Percy Pl, Dublin, for £1,150 accepted.
Refs: IB 49, 6 Apr 1907, 254

Building: CO. OFFALY, CLARA, GLEBE HOUSE
Date: 1907
Nature: Contractor: John Reid, Malahide & Dublin.
Refs: IB 49, 6 Apr,10,24 Aug 1907, 254,561,594

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CLONSILLA LODGE
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts. & adds. to residence of Howard St George. Contractor: McLughlin & Harvey. £1658.
Refs: IB 49, 6 Apr 1907, 252

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LANSDOWNE ROAD, IRISH RUGBY FOOTBALL UNION GROUND
Date: 1907
Nature: Alts., walls & entrances. Contractor: H. & J. Martin.
Refs: IB 49, 7 Sep 1907, 629

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MALAHIDE, DUBLIN ROAD, AUBURN
Date: 1907
Nature: New billiard room & sundry adds. Contractor: John Reid, Malahide.
Refs: IB 49, 24 Aug 1907, 594

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, HAMPTON HOUSE
Date: 1907-09
Nature: Rebuilding residence of Dr George Scriven.. Contractor: J. & P. Good, Ltd.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0872, B21/20; IB 50, 18 Apr 1908, 245

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLONMEL, BARRACK SQUARE, ROYAL IRISH REGIMENT MEMORIAL
Date: 1908
Nature: Memorial to members of Royal Irish Regiment who fought in South African War. Carried out by C.W. Harrison & Sons.
Refs: IB 50, 17 Oct 1908, 637(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, CHURCH (CI, TULLOW PARISH)
Date: 1908
Nature: Reredos and wall arcading. Window with stained glass by Sarah Purser. Carried out by Sharpe & Emery, Gt Brunswick St.
Refs: IB 50, 25 Jan,21 Mar 1908, 53,181

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONDALKIN, CHILDREN'S CONVALESCENT HOME
Date: 1908
Nature: Addition of new wing. Opened by Lord Lieutenant, 9 Jul 1908.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 10 Jul 1908.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CHEEVERSTOWN, COTTAGE HOSPITAL
Date: 1908
Nature: Alts. & adds.


Refs: IB 50, 18 Apr 1908, 246

Building: CO. KILDARE, CURRAGH GRANGE
Date: 1908a
Nature: New house with adjoining stud farm for - Greer.
Refs: Guy St John Williams, The Racing lodges of the Curragh (1997), 87(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, CHURCH HALL (CI)
Date: 1909
Nature: New parochial hall in grounds of Tulla parish church completed. Contractor: R.E. Mellon, Rathgar.
Refs: IB 51, 27 Nov 1909, 755

Building: CO. DONEGAL, ?, MEMORIAL
Date: 1910
Nature: RCO exhibits design for 'Proposed Memorial, Co. Donegal' at RHA.
Refs: RHA 1910, 357

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, KILLINEY HILL ROAD, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1910
Nature: New reredos.
Refs: IB 52, 30 Apr 1910, 285

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHRISTCHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1911
Nature: Repairs. Contractor: S.H. Bolton & Sons, Rathmines.
Refs: IB 53, 24 Jan 1911, 429

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 072 (GRAFTON CINEMA)
Date: 1911
Nature: Nearing completion. Being furnished by Millar & Beatty. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey.
Refs: IB 53, 1 Apr 1911, 209;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 522.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1911-12
Nature: Important alts. and adds, including new roof and extension of transepts to form side aisles, separated from nave by triple arcade of Bath stone. Also new floor and porch.. Church reopened, Feb 1912. Contractor: S.H. Bolton & Son. Estimated cost: £2492.10s. Heating and ventilation by G.N. Haden & Sons, Gt Brunswick St.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter 27 May 1911, 24 Feb 1912, 5 Oct 1912; IB 53, 4 Mar ,1 Apr,13 May,24 Jun 1911, 129,209,325,429; 54, 25 May 1912, 309; IA & C 1, 25 Mar 1911, 116; G.D. Scott, The Stones of Bray (1913), Appendix II, 201-7(illus.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, MAIN STREET, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1911-12
Nature: Important alts. and adds, including new roof and extension of transepts to form side aisles, separated from nave by triple arcade of Bath stone. Also new floor and porch.. Church reopened, Feb 1912. Contractor: S.H. Bolton & Son. Estimated cost: £2492.10s. Heating and ventilation by G.N. Haden & Sons, Gt Brunswick St.
Refs: Wicklow Newsletter 27 May 1911, 24 Feb 1912, 5 Oct 1912; IB 53, 4 Mar ,1 Apr,13 May,24 Jun 1911, 129,209,325,429; 54, 25 May 1912, 309; IA & C 1, 25 Mar 1911, 116; G.D. Scott, The Stones of Bray (1913), Appendix II, 201-7(illus.)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH HOUSE
Date: 1911-13
Nature: With W. Sampson Jervois. In memory of Bishop Alexander. FS laid Jul 1912. Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey, Belfast.
Refs: Design exh. RHA 1911, no. 392; Building News 100, 3 Mar 1911-315; IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 83; 50, 20 Jul 1912, 416-7,431; IA & C 1, 18 Feb 1911, 45,58(illus.); R. McKinstry, R. Oram, R. Weatherup & P. Wilson, The Buildings of Armagh (UAHS, 1992), 46;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 107.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, BRENNANSTOWN ROAD, COOLOGUE
Date: 1911a
Nature: House for himself.
Refs: IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 80(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, ORAHOVA
Date: 1911a
Nature: House for Prof. Grenville A.J. Cole. Designed by RCO (or F. Batchelor)
Refs: IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 80(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUNDRUM, SANDYFORD ROAD, ARDGLAS?
Date: 1911a
Nature: Ardlass[sic]: 2-storey gabled house, designed by RCO? for Charles Crookshank?
Refs: IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 80(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, DRUID HILL
Date: 1911a
Nature: House for W.J. Shannon. Designed by RCO (or F. Batchelor?)
Refs: IB 53, 4 Feb 1911, 80(illus. in supplement)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KEVIN STREET UPPER, NO. 035
Date: 1914
Nature: Rebuilding of premises.
Refs: IB 56, 23 May 1914, 327

Building: CO. LIMERICK, NEWCASTLE WEST, PUBLIC LIBRARY
Date: 1915-16
Nature: New Carnegie Library designed by RCO with J.D. Leahy. Opened 13 Nov 1916.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 207-209(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHRISTCHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL (CI)
Date: 1917
Nature: RCO presents plans for Archibishop Peacocke memorial in stone, brass & enamel work to be placed in N aisle.
Refs: IB 59, 27 Oct 1917, 547

Building: CO. LIMERICK, FEENAGH, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1917a
Nature: New one-room library.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 150(illus.); illus. in www.librarycouncil.ie/publications/pdf/An%20Taisce%20Catalogue.pdf (2008)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, BROADFORD, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1917a
Nature: New one-room library.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 102-103(illus.)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, ATHEA, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1917a
Nature: New one-room library.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 116(illus.)

Building: CO. LIMERICK, CLONCAGH, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1917a
Nature: New one-room library.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 116(illus.)

Building: CO. KERRY, DINGLE, CARNEGIE LIBRARY
Date: 1918a
Nature: New two-room library, opened 1918.
Refs: Brendan Grimes, Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history (1998), 116(illus.)

Building: CO. MEATH, SUMMERHILL
Date: 1921
Nature: Proposed rebuilding, for Col. William Rowley. Estimated sum £72,540. Not executed.
Refs: Mark Bence Jones, Twilight of the Ascendacy (1987), 237-8

Building: CO. MEATH, OLDCASTLE, WAR MEMORIAL
Date: 1921
Nature: Granite obelisk, executed by G.D. Harrison & Co.
Refs: IB 63, 9 Apr 1921, 230

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHURCH AVENUE (RATHMINES), CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY (CI)
Date: 1921
Nature: 3 carved stone tablets commemorating 60 parishioners who died on war service ded. by Bishop of Derry, 12 Jul 1921. Executed by Sharp & Emery.
Refs: IB 63, 18 Jul 1921, 421

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON PARK, CHRIST CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1921
Nature: Memorial cross & tablet in memory of men who fell in World War I.
Refs: IB 63, 1 Jan 1921, 17

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1921
Nature: War memorial in form of Celtic cross of Ballyknockan granite almost 16 ft high, tablet in chapel and terracing of slope between cloisters and schoolroom. Dedicated St Columba's Day, 1921, by Bishop of Derry.
Refs: IB 63, 9 Apr 1921, 230; Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 53-54(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, HOUSING
Date: 1922
Nature: RCO designs layout of artisans' housing scheme for Blackrock UDC. (Houses designed by Donnelly, Moore & Co.)
Refs: IB 64, 18 Nov 1922, 790

Building: CO. KILKENNY, DESART COURT
Date: 1923p
Nature: Rebuilding, for Lady Kathleen Milborne-Swinnerton-Pilkington, after house was burnt out, 1923. Heating and lighting by Maguire & Gatchell, Dublin. Later demolished.
Refs: IB 68, 16 Oct 1926, 788; Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 103

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRIGHTON ROAD (RATHGAR), METHODIST CHURCH
Date: 1924
Nature: Extension of church as war memorial by addition of transepts, choir, chancel, organ chamber, choir room & vestry. Enlargement of organ and erection of war memorial window. FS laid 20 Sep 1924. Contractor: R.E. Mellon & Son.
Refs: IB 66, 4 Oct 1924, 866; 67, 30 May 1925, 442; D.M. Weir, Rathgar Methodist Church (1974), 33-8

Building: CO. DUBLIN, FOXROCK, WESTMINSTER ROAD, KILTERAGH HOUSING DEVELOPMENT
Date: 1925
Nature: Residential building scheme. Architects: Richard Caulfield Orpen, Beckett & Harrington & E. Bradbury. Builder: Beckett.
Refs: IB 67, 24 Jan 1925, 46; information from Geoffrey Henry in telephone conversation of 9 May 1995.

Building: CO. KILDARE, PALMERSTOWN HOUSE (NAAS)
Date: 1925
Nature: Prepares plans for rebuilding of house for 7th Earl of Mayo after its destruction by fire on 29 Jan 1923. Subject of compensation claim, 1925.
Refs: Account of hearing of compensation claim at Naas Circuit Court, Dec 1925, in Leinster Leader, 12 Dec 1925 (Kildare Online Electronic History Journal, http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehistory/2007/10/post_17.asp , last visited Jul 2012)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DIAMOND GRANGE (LOUGHGALL), CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)
Date: 1926
Nature: New chapel-of-ease for parish of Kilmore. Funds provided by bequest from R.F. Cope, Manor House, Loughgall. Consecrated 25 Jan 1927. Contractor: Henry Laverty & Sons, Cambridge St, Belfast. Glass (including stained glass E window, Adoration of the Magi) by Ward Partners, Belfast.
Refs: IB 69, 5 Feb 1927, 70(illus.),86; G.D. Scott, The Stones of Bray, Appendix II, 201-7; http://www.diamondgrange.armagh.anglican.org/history.html (2008);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 315;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 130.


Building: CO. WATERFORD, CAPPOQUIN HOUSE
Date: 1927
Nature: Rebuilding after house was burnt down in 1923.  For Sir John Keane.
Refs: IB 69, 5 Mar 1927, 162;  Mark Bence-Jones, Burke’s Guide to Country Houses. Volume I, Ireland. (London, 1978), 56

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COWPER ROAD (RATHMINES), MAGEOUGH HOMES
Date: 1928
Nature: Alts. Contractor: J. & F. Pemberton.
Refs: IB 70, 7 Jan 1928, 30

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TEMPLE GARDENS (RATHMINES), NO. 015 (ELMHURST)
Date: 1928
Nature: Addition to morning room.
Refs: IB 70, 1 Sep 1928, 752

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LOUGHGALL, CHURCH OF ST LUKE (CI)
Date: 1930
Nature: Reordering of sanctuary.
Refs: Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 419.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, CHURCH PLACE, CHRIST CHURCH (CI, SHANKILL PARISH)
Date: 1930-31
Nature: Extension and beautifying of chancel Church re-opened 1931. Cost:: £1,900.
Refs: IB 72, 1 Feb 1930, 111; 73, 11 Apr 1931, 324

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1931
Nature: Masters' lavatory & bathroom.
Refs: Fred W. Attwood, 'History of St Columba's College', The Columban Annual (1933), 61

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILDARE, CATHEDRAL OF ST BRIGID (CI)
Date: 1932
Nature: Repairs to round tower and repointed. Granite collar at base restored and 32 massive granite blocks forming foundations exposed to view.
Refs: IB 74, 13 Feb 1932, 155

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LINCOLN PLACE, DENTAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1932
Nature: RCO architect for proposed improvements; estimated cost, £67,883.
Refs: IB 74, 2 Jul 1932, 611

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, COLLEGE ROAD, ST COLUMBA'S COLLEGE
Date: 1936
Nature: Founder's Building (new classroom block). Contractor: G. & T. Crampton.
Refs: Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 122(illus.).

Building: CO. MEATH, ARCH HALL
Date: ?
Nature: Estate divided into three farms by insurance company after house was burnt out, with 3 farmhouses - 2 identical, 1 larger - designed by RCO
Refs: Information from Martin Mallon, Walkinstown, owner or occupier of one of the two smaller farmhouses, 14 Jan 1993

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CARRICKMINES, GLENAMUCK ROAD, HILLSIDE
Date: ?
Nature: 2-storey gabled house.
Refs: Irish Independent, 28 May 1993

Building: CO. DUBLIN, CABINTEELY, BRENNANSTOWN ROAD, TAYANGLET
Date: ?
Nature: Two storey house.
Refs: Irish Independent, 18 Oct 1996

Building: CO. DUBLIN, MONKSTOWN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: ?
Nature: World War I memorial on S wall of chancel, oak communion table in memory of Chancellor Dowse and matching credence table.
Refs: Étain Murphy, A Glorious Extravaganza: the history of Monkstown Parish Church(2003), 99(illus.)

Building: CO. KILDARE, BALLYMANY (NEWBRIDGE)
Date: ?
Nature: House and stud farm for Duke of Westminster.
Refs: illus. in Guy St John Williams, The Racing lodges of the Curragh (1997), 87(illus.),89(illus.)

Author Title Date Details
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'Furniture' 1902 IB 44, 2 Jan 1902, 982-5. (Paper read to AAI.)
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'The architecture of Dublin' 1913 Building News 104, 31 Jan 1913, 152. (Lecture given to London AA, Jan 1913.)
Orpen, Richard Caulfield [President's inaugural address to RIAI] 1914 IB 56, 14 Mar 1914, 160 (or 124?); JRIAI (1914), 13.
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'The art of architecture' 1914 IB 56, 19 Dec 1914, 678; JRIAI (1915), 15. (Paper read to AAI, 24 Nov 1914.)
Orpen, Richard Caulfield [President's address to RIAI] 1915 JRIAI (1915), 23.
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'Rebuilding of Dublin' 1916 IB 58, 22 Jul 1916, 342. (Account of interview for Christian Science Monitor.)
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'About W.G. Strickland's Dictionary of Irish Artists' 1917 JRIAI (1918), 1.
Orpen, Richard Caulfield [President's valedictory address to RIAI] 1917 JRIAI (1917), 12.
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'The tyranny of fashion' 1917 IB 59, 22 Dec 1917, 638. (Paper read to AAI, 22 Nov 1917.)
Orpen, Richard Caulfield 'The Georgian Period of Architecture in Ireland' 1931 RIBAJ 38 (1930-31), 627-9; IB 73, 20 Jun 1931, 550. (Paper read at opening meeting of British Architects' Conference, Dublin, 18 Jun 1931, also summarized in account of meeting in Architect and Building News127, 26 Jun 1931, 474.)