O'DWYER, DONAL FRANCIS
- Born: 1908 Died: -
Architect, of Dublin. Donal O'Dwyer, the fourth child of Professor Robert O'Dwyer and a younger brother of DERMOT MAURICE O'DWYER , was born in Dublin on 19 May 1908. He attended the Catholic University School and University College Dublin, from which he graduated with the B.Arch degree in 1929. After graduating he worked in the office of JONES & KELLY until 1934, when he set up in independent practice in partnership with his brother Dermot. The practice came to an end in 1937. In 1940 he was appointed head of the building department at Bolton Street College of Technology and in 1952 became principal of the college, a position which he held until at least 1973.
O'Dwyer married Mary Frances (née Pollard) in 1937 and had six children. He was still living in 1999.
AAI:(1) elected member, 1926; ceased membership, 1938; re-elected member, 1943; vice-president, 1945-46; president, 1946-47. RIAI:(2) elected member, 1930;(3) elected fellow, 1950 or 1951; council member, 1950-53; no longer on list of members for 1971.
Addresses:(4) Home: 9 Leeson Steet Upper, 1917-1939; 173 Strand Road, Merrion, 1940->=1942; 119 St Mobhi Road, Glasnevin, <=1945->=1999.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the entry on O'Dwyer in Who's Who…in Ireland (1973), 270, which see for further information about him. A portrait photograph is in IAA Green Book (1946-47), 21.
(1) From lists of members in AAI Green Books.
(2) From RIAI lists of officers and members unless otherwise stated.
(3) JRIAI (1932), 15.
(4) From AAI and RIAI lists of members and Thom's directories.
|O'dwyer, Donal Francis||[President's inaugural address to AAI]||1947||AAI Green Book (1947), 22-28. (Address delivered 1 Oct 1946.)|