Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Cork. Dominic O'Connor, who was born in Cork on 22 July 1878,(1) was a son of John O'Connor, of Cork, and his wife Mary (née Evans)(1) and a younger brother of RICHARD O'CONNOR RICHARD O'CONNOR . The O'Connors were a well-known family of timber merchants in Cork.(2) He received his secondary education at Clongowes Wood College and in 1897 became an engineering student at Queen's College, Cork, graduating with the BA and BE dgrees in 1901. In December 1901 he registered as a probationer of the RIBA(3) and in July 1903 as a student, by which time he had become a pupil of the London architect William Henry Harrison.(4) He attended classes at the London Architectural Association and in 1902 did an improver with HOUSTON & HOUSTON & amp; HOUSTON HOUSTON . From 1903 to 1905 he was articled to Edward Goldie (of GOLDIE GOLDIE , CHILD & CHILD & amp; GOLDIE GOLDIE ) with whom he remained as an assistant. He also travelled in France. He then appears to have worked in the office of GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN  GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN in Dublin, for in 1908, when he exhibited 'Studies for a hillside church' at the Royal Hibernian Academy, he gave 25 Suffolk Street, where Sheridan had his office, as his address.(5)

O'Connor had established his own practice at 87 South Mall Cork by 1909. By the autumn of 1919 he had entered into partnership with BARTHOLOMEW O'FLYNN  BARTHOLOMEW O'FLYNN at 60 South Mall;(6) the partnership was dissolved in November 1927, when O'Connor moved to a new office at 29 South Mall.(7) His work, as recorded in the Irish Builder, was largely for the Catholic clergy and religious orders in Cos. Cork and Kerry. He still maintained an office in Cork in 1957 but had given it up by 1964. His pupils and assistants included JOSEPH VINCENT DOWNES JOSEPH VINCENT DOWNES , ANTHOPNY CHRISTOPHER FITZGIBBON  ANTHOPNY CHRISTOPHER FITZGIBBON and CHRISTOPHER JOSEPH DERMOT O'TOOLE. CHRISTOPHER JOSEPH DERMOT O'TOOLE.

AA (London): elected member, 1901.(8)
RIAI: elected member, 1908, having been proposed by George Patrick Sheridan, seconded by SAMUEL FRANCIS HYNES  SAMUEL FRANCIS HYNES and ARTHUR HILL ARTHUR HILL ;(9) raised to fellow, 1922;(10) resigned, 1955.(11)
RIBA: probationer, 1901;(12); student, 1903;(13) passed qualifying exam, 1905; elected associate, 5 March 1906, having been proposed by Edward Goldie, SAMUEL FRANCIS HYNES  SAMUEL FRANCIS HYNES and W.H. Harrison;(14) still on register of members for 1957-8.

Addresses: Work: 25 Suffolk Street, Dublin, 1908.(15) 87 South Mall, Cork, 1909-11; 47 Grand Parade, 1912-15; 60 South Mall, Cork, 1916->=1927; 29 South Mall Cork, 1928-1935;(16) 50 South Mall, Cork. 1936->=1957.
Home: Homeville, Sunday's Well, Cork, at birth; Ashton Lawn, Blackrock Road, Cork, <=1897->=1915; 15 Portland Road, Southall, Middlesex, 1901;(17) 11 Aynhoe Road, Brook Green, 1903;(18) 4 Pembroke Square, Kensington, 1906; Mayfield, Serpentine Avenue, Ballsbridge, Dublin, 1908;(19) Arundel, Ballintemple, Cork, <=1964->=1965.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY BIBLIOGRAPHY . See also works of O'FLYNN & FLYNN & amp; O'CONNOR. CONNOR.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from Directory of British Architects 1834-1914 (RIBA 2001), II, 280-281, from the registers of University College, Cork,(kindly supplied by Bernie Deasy, University Heritage Office) and from RIAI lists of members.

(1)
www.familysearch.org.
(2)
IB 82, 16 Mar 1940, 168.
(3)
RIBAJ 9 (1901-2), 66.
(4)
RIBAJ 10 (1902-3), 481.
(5)
RHA Index, III, 29.
(6)
The first mention of O'Flynn & O'Connor in IB is in the issue for 25 Oct 1919, 485, but he had moved to 60 South Mall in 1916.
(7)
IB 69, 26 Nov 1927, 889.
(8)
List of members in AA Yearbook, 1930. 
(9)
IAA, RIAI office archives (Acc. 93/136), membership forms 1878-1909 (extremely fragile).
(10)
JRIAI (1924), 5.
(11) RIAI Year Book (1957), 43.
(12)
See note 2, above.
(13)
See note 3, above.
(14)
RIBAJ 13 (1905-6), 498?
(15)
See note 4, above.
(16)
IB 70, 17 Mar 1928, 242; 77, 16 Nov 1935, 1066.
(17)
See note 2, above.
(18)
See note 3, above.
(19) See note 9, above.


27 work entries listed in chronological order for O'CONNOR, DOMINIC MARY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CORK, BALLINGEARY, IRISH TRAINING COLLEGE
Date: 1913
Nature: Training college for teachers of Irish to be built.
Refs: IB 55, 5 Jul 1913, 441

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, DOUGLAS STREET, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1928
Nature: New 4-storey wing. FS laid Sep 1928 by Dr Cohalan, Bishop of Cork. Contractor: Murphy Bros., North Abbey.
Refs: IB 70, 15 Sep 1928, 796

Building: CO. CORK, CARRIGALINE, STORE
Date: 1928
Nature: New roof
Refs: IB 70, 1 Sep 1928, 754

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, BUSH FIELD, HOUSES (002)
Date: 1928
Nature: -
Refs: IB 70, 4 Aug 1928, 674

Building: CO. KERRY, SCARTAGLIN (CASTLEISLAND), CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF LOURDES (RC)
Date: 1928-1930
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same, 1928. Blessed and dedicated 13 Jul 1930 by Dr O'Brien.
Refs: IB 70, 17 Mar 1928, 242; Catholic Directory (1931), 618

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, PRESENTATION CONVENT NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1928-21
Nature: Single storey. £25,000.
Refs: IB 70, 21 Jul 1928, 637; 71, 25 May,8 Jun 1929, 474,542; 73, 12 Sep 1931, 805

Building: CO. CORK, BALLYDALY CROSS (MILLSTREET), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1928-29
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new church, Mar 1928. Dedicated Oct 1929 by Dr O'Brien, Bishop of Kerry. Contractor: P. O'Flynn, Millstreet.
Refs: IB 70, 17 Mar 1928, 242; 71, 12 Oct 1929, 920-21

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SHARMAN CRAWFORD STREET, CRAWFORD MUNICIPAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE
Date: 1928;1930
Nature: Engineering laboratory & carpenters' workshop, 1928; extension, 1930..
Refs: IB 70, 18 Aug 1928, 717; 72, 1 Feb 1930, 108

Building: CO. CORK, DERRINAGREE (DROMLARIFF), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1930
Nature: Repairs.
Refs: IB 72, 15 Mar 1930, 255

Building: CO. KERRY, KILFLYNN (ABBEYDORNEY), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1931
Nature: Alts. & extension.
Refs: IB 73, 18 Jul 1931, 646

Building: CO. CORK, DRISHANE (MILLSTREET), CONVENT
Date: 1931
Nature: Chapel & recreation hall.
Refs: IB 73, 20 Jun 1931, 558

Building: CO. LIMERICK, KILMALLOCK, CONVENT
Date: 1931
Nature: -
Refs: IB 73, 14 Feb 1931, 148

Building: CO. KERRY, VENTRY (DINGLE), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1933
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of gallery, for Rev. J. Browne.
Refs: IB 75, 25 1933, 162

Building: CO. KERRY, LISPOLE (DINGLE), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1933
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of gallery, for Rev. J. Browne.
Refs: IB 75, 25 Feb 1933, 162

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, EVERGREEN ROAD, SCHOOL
Date: 1935
Nature: -
Refs: IB 77, 16 Nov 1935, 1066

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SUNDAYS WELL, SUNDAYS WELL BOATING & TENNIS CLUB
Date: 1936
Nature: New building containing 2 squash courts.
Refs: IB 78, 8 Aug 1936, 713

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON STREET, CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE (RC)
Date: 1937-1943;1944
Nature: Rebuilding. Reopened 1943. Temporary entrance porch, 1944.
Refs: IB 79, 2 Oct,25 Dec 1937, 882,867,1138; 80, 16 Apr 1938, 308; 85, 31 Jul 1943, 294; 86, 29 Jul 1944, 304

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, TURNER'S CROSS, PRESENTATION CONVENT SCHOOLS
Date: 1938
Nature: Girls' and boys' schools to accommodate 800 pupils. Girls schools run by Presentation Sisters. Cost of girls' school: £14,000. Cost of boys' school: £13,000.
Refs: IB 80, 9 Jul,1 Oct 1938, 571,819

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, PAUL STREET, SS. PETER & PAUL'S SCHOOLS
Date: 1940-41
Nature: Heating system; proposed alts.
Refs: IB 82, 14 Sep 1940, 574; 83, 24 May 1941, 264

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON STREET, NO. 051
Date: 1942
Nature: Sanitary annexe.
Refs: IB 84, 12 Sep 1942, 338

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, BARRACK STREET, NO. 139 & 140
Date: 1942
Nature: Proposed alterations.
Refs: IB 84, 6 Jun 1942, 216

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WASHINGTON STREET, NO. 014
Date: 1945
Nature: Steel (screen?, canopy? word omitted in Jones transcript) over shop front.
Refs: IB 87, 14 Jul 1945, 346

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, GLANMIRE ROAD LOWER, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1946
Nature: New roof to portico.
Refs: IB 88, 30 Nov 1946, 798

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, WOODHILL PARK (TIVOLI), TREE TOPS
Date: 1947
Nature: Addition.
Refs: IB 89, 31 May 1947, 404

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, MONAHAN'S ROAD, STORE
Date: 1949
Nature: -
Refs: IB 91, 26 Nov 1949, 1118

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SHARMAN CRAWFORD STREET, ST ALOYSIUS' SCHOOL
Date: 1953
Nature: Additional classrooms, toilets, sheds, &c.
Refs: IB 95, 28 Mar,23 May 1953, 322, 537

Building: CO. CORK, BLACKROCK, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Additions. Altar rails and pulpit (part of Honan Bequest); ('although requested to introduce certain alterations to the baldacchino, declined to do so because of the great perfection of the original work of Bro. Riordan')
Refs: T.F. McNamara, Portrait of Cork (1981), 158

Author Title Date Details
O'connor, Dominic Mary 'An approach to the design of Catholic church interiors'
1949 RIAI Year Book (1949), 5-10 (illus.)