Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. John Joseph O'Callaghan was born in Co. Cork circa 1838, and was said to have received his earliest architectural training in the office of JOHN BENSON JOHN BENSON . He then came to Dublin to join the office of DEANE & DEANE & amp; WOODWARD. WOODWARD. (1) After working on the Trinity College museum building, he was sent to Oxford in 1856 to act as clerk of works for the erection of the Oxford Union Society debating room, which was completed the following year. During his residence in Oxford he took full advantage of the opportunity to study mediaeval architecture. His obituarist in the Irish Builder recalled being shown a sketch book which he used while he was there: 'Prepared with rare, almost minute, neatness, the sketches betrayed workmanlike dexterity, combined with an exceptional degree of painstaking effort as regards detail, added to an unusually fine perception of art in form, material and proportion.'  He remained with the Deanes for at least a further twelve years before setting up his own office in Merrion Row almost certainly in 1871.(2) In 1872 he became a founder member of the Architectural Association of Ireland, of which he was elected the first president.

For over thirty years O'Callaghan practised without a partner. He remained an unwavering advocate of the Gothic style until the end of his life.(3) His obituarist in the Irish Builder, who considered him one of the greatest Irish architects, assessed his achievement: 'As an ecclesiastical architect he was in his day unapproached in this country, and remained to the end a leader of his profession as a church designer, for few equalled him in his ripe, studious knowledge of Gothic detail. He never had the opportunity of designing a cathedral or a really great parish church, but his methods inclined much to the school of Burges - quite French in character and detail - and had he had the same opportunities, there is no doubt but he would have rivalled Burges in originality and in masterly knowledge. For the modern revival of the Renaissance he had Burges's contempt, and his later works, conceived in the cut-and-dried tradition of mid-Victorian domestic Gothic, were consequently, to some extent out of harmony with modern ideas, and inclined to coarseness.' Towards the end of his life he suffered from ill-health. He died on 2 November 1905 at the age of sixty-seven. At the RIAI meeting of 26 December 1905 tribute was paid to him by WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL WILLIAM MANSFIELD MITCHELL , who had known him since working with him in Deane & Woodward's office: 'He was an enthusiast about his work and carried it out with all his heart.' (4)

O'Callaghan was married and had several children. By his wife, Eva, he was the father of at least six sons, among them the architects LUCIUS O'CALLAGHAN  LUCIUS O'CALLAGHAN and BERNARD O'CALLAGHAN BERNARD O'CALLAGHAN , while his eldest son, Frank, became a civil engineer.(5) His pupils and assistants included JAMES WALLER BOUCHER JAMES WALLER BOUCHER , ROBERT ALEXANDER BRIGGS ROBERT ALEXANDER BRIGGS , WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN WALTER GLYNN DOOLIN , WILLIAM BERTRAM FENNELL WILLIAM BERTRAM FENNELL , LAURENCE ALOYSIUS MCDONNELL LAURENCE ALOYSIUS MCDONNELL , GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN  GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN and probably also ALEXANDER WILLIAM ROBINSON.  ALEXANDER WILLIAM ROBINSON.

AAI: elected president of newly-formed association, 1872;(6) re-elected president, 1873;(7) reads paper on 'Working Drawings', 30 December 1875;(8) committee member, 1876-77;(9) scheduled to read paper on 'Architectural Sculpture', 1 March 1877.(10)
RIAI: elected student, 25 January 1865, having been proposed by THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , seconded by JAMES RAWSON CARROLL & JAMES RAWSON CARROLL & amp; JAMES HIGGINS OWEN JAMES HIGGINS OWEN ;(11) associate when elected fellow, 18 November 1869;(12) auditor, 1872-1874;(13) council member, 1875-1903.(14)
RSAI: elected fellow, 15 October 1873, having been proposed by JAMES GEORGE ROBERTSON. JAMES GEORGE ROBERTSON. (15)

Addresses: work:(16) 3 Upper Merrion Street, 1869;(17) 17 Merrion Row, 1872-1875; 31 Harcourt Street, 1876-1890; 16 Nassau Street, 1886->=1904.
Home: 3 Madeley Terrace, Sandymount Road, 1864-65;(18) 21 Cambridge Road, Rathmines, 1872-1875; 5 Alma Terrace, Monkstown, 1887-96; 17 Alma Road, Monkstown, 1897-1898.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry is from the obituaries of O'Callaghan in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918, and B 89, 23 Dec 1905, 684, and from F. O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane & Woodward (1997), 287,305,402-404.

(1) O'Dwyer, op. cit., 287, suggests that he may have been a relation of Daniel O'Callaghan, Deane's clerk of works at Queen's College, Cork, and the Killarney Asylum.
(2) His address is given as 17 Merrion Row in the list of RIAI members in RIAI Sessional Papers 1863-70, which can be dated to Oct/Nov 1871. He first appears in the directories at this address in 1872.
(3) IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 896. At a meeting of the AAI in 1876 O'Callaghan is reported as saying 'that whatever Irish architecture may be in the future, he trusted it would be free from Queen Anne style' (IB 18, 15 Dec 1876, 367).
(4) See note 3, above.
(5) Census of Ireland, 1901.
(6) IB 14, 1 Jul,15 Oct 1872, 190,280.
(7) IB 15, 1 Nov 1873, 296.
(8) IB 18, 1,15 Jan 1876, 9,17; Architect 15, 22 Jan 1876,51; B 34, 29 Jan 1876, 104.
(9) IB 18, 1 Dec 1876, 339.
(10) See note 9, above.
(11) RIAI council meeting minutes, 31 Dec 1864, 25, 19 Jan 1865, 30; general meeting minutes, 25 Jan 1865, 157.
(12) RIAI council meeting minutes, 17 May,7 June 1869, 130; general meeting minutes, 17 Jun 1869, 232, 18 November 1869, 234.
(13) RIAI lists of officers and members or Jones transcripts of same.
(14) See note 11, above.
(15) RSAI 12 (1872-73), 515.
(16) From Thom's and Post Office directories or Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.
(17) See note 10, above.
(18) See note 9, above.


64 work entries listed in chronological order for O'CALLAGHAN, JOHN JOSEPH


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, O'CONNELL MONUMENT
Date: 1864-1865
Nature: Competition entrant. (Competition announced Oct 1864.) Motto: 'Let Erin remember the days of old'.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 18 Feb 1865.

Building: ENGLAND, WINCHESTER (HAMPSHIRE), TOWN HALL
Date: 1871
Nature: On shortlist of 6 in competition.
Refs: RHA 1874, no. 291; IB 13, 1 Jul 1871, 166,168(illus.); B 29, 24 Jun 1871, 483; F. O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane & Woodward (1997), 401-2(illus.)

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, BISHOP'S HOUSE
Date: 1871
Nature: JJO'C winner of 2nd place in competition. (Competition announced, Mar 1871.)
Refs: IB 13, 15 Jun 1871, 151.

Building: CO. GALWAY, CLIFDEN, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1871-74;1898
Nature: New church. Tenders invited, Dec 1871.  FS laid 28 Aug 1872 by Archbishop MacHale. Builder: P. Morris. Building in advanced state of progress by Oct 1874. Tower and spire added 1898 through exertions of Canon Lynskey, PP (tenders sought May, 1896,Jun 1898).
Refs: RHA 1874, no. 295;  Freeman's Journal, 20,23 Dec 1871;  Architect 8, 7 Sep 1872, 135; 10, 30 Aug 1873, 106; IB 17, 1 Mar 1875, 64-65(illus.); 38, 15 Jun 1896, 133; 39, 15 Jun 1897, 116; 38, 15 Jun 1898, 133;  Tuam Herald, 3 Oct 1874, 13 Jun 1896..

Building: ENGLAND, CHORLEY (LANCASHIRE)), TOWN HALL
Date: 1872
Nature: 'We believe we are correct in saying he won the competition for the Chorley Town Hall, Lancashire'
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. LAOIS, MOUNTMELLICK, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1872-1878a
Nature: New church for Rev. Thomas Murphy, PP.   Tenders invited Feb 1872.  First mass celebrated Jul 1878.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 8 Feb 1872; obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918; J. O'Hanlon & E. O'Leary, History of the Queen's County (1907), ?;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 80(illus)


Building: CO. OFFALY, TULLAMORE, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS' SCHOOLS
Date: 1873
Nature: Advertisement for tenders.
Refs: IB 15, 15 Mar 1873, advertisement

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, CONVENT & SCHOOLS
Date: 1873-76
Nature: Tenders invited, July 1873. In course of erection for Dr MacCormack, Bishop of Achonry. Hammer-dressed walls of local stone; dressings &c. of local limestone. Contractor: Thomas McGlynn, Ballaghaderreen. Clerk of Works: Mr Troy.
Refs: IB 15, 15 Jul 1873, advertisement); 18, 1 Nov 1876, 312(illus.); Architect 11, 16 May 1874, 278(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOOTERSTOWN, BOOTERSTOWN AVENUE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1874
Nature: 2 side altars. £130.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, CONVENT
Date: 1874
Nature: New convent (Sisters of Charity?) and schools for Rev. Dr MacCormack, Co-adjutor Lord Bishop of Achonry . Convent walls of local grit stone in hammer-dressed masonry, wirth dressings, strings &c. of local limestone. Roof of purple slates with bands of green slates. Contractor: Thomas McGlynn, Balllaghaderreen. Clerk of works: Mr Troy. Convent nearly complete in Nov 1876 but schools not begun.
Refs: Architect 11, ? ? 1874, 278; IB 18, 1 Nov 1876, 312(illus.);  illus. in Liam Swords, Achonry and its churches (Strasbourg: Éditions du Signe, 2007), 47.

Building: CO. MAYO, THE NEALE (BALLINROBE), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1875
Nature: FS laid. Contractor: Stannus. Funds provided by residents, aided by donations from Rev. J. O'Malley, PP, and Lord Kilmaine, landlord.
Refs: IB 17, 1 Jun 1875, 154; illus. in http://www.colemans.net.au/theneale/theneale2.htm (2008)

Building: CO. OFFALY, CLARA, CHURCH OF ST BRIDGET (RC)
Date: 1876-1883
Nature: New 14th century Gothic church. Dedicated 14 Oct 1883. Contractor: Molloy, Tullamore. Glazing & tiling by Sibthrope & Son.
Refs: RHA 1877, no. 317; signed drawings for floor and passages formerly in office archives of W.H. Byrne & Son; Architect 15, 19 Feb 1876, 112(illus.); IB 25, 15 Oct 1883, 330

Building: CO. MAYO, CASTLEBAR, CHURCH (RC, UNFINISHED)
Date: 1876-77
Nature: Designs adopted by committee, Aug 1876. Tenders sought, 1876. Estimated cost: £10,000. (Church abandoned incomplete and still unroofed soon after it had been begun; replaced by Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, q.v.)
Refs: IAA, PKS B08/01; RHA 1877, no. 326; Tuam Herald, 26 Aug 1876;  IB 18, 1 Sep 1876, 261; 19, 1,15 Jul 1877, 197,210; bill of measurement of cut stone work, 24 Nov 1877

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLAGHADERREEN, HIBERNIAN BANK
Date: 1877
Nature: New.
Refs: RHA 1877, no. 315

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 012 & 13 (CALLAGHAN)
Date: 1879
Nature: New commercial premises. (According to Casey Nos. 13-16 are 'probably' by JJ O'C.)
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 415.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ESSEX STREET EAST, NO. 035-37
Date: 1879
Nature: Lombardic limestone shopfront with 4-storeys above in brick. For M. Nugent.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 442.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CRAMPTON COURT, STAR MUSIC HALL & THEATRE OF VARIETIES (LATER ROYAL EMPIRE THEATRE AND OLYMPIA THEATRE)
Date: 1879-81
Nature: New theatre for Dan Lowry..
Refs: F. O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane & Woodward(1997), 403-4;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 417.


Building: CO. GALWAY, LOUGHREA, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1880-1881
Nature: Works at same, 1879 (Builder: Michael O'Brien). New convent (and/or) convent chapel, 1880-81.
Refs: IAA, PKS B09/15;  IB 22, 15 Jan 1880, 332;  letter from J. J. O'Callaghan to Sister Mary Francis Clare Cusack, 28 Feb 1882, in Our Lady's Shcrine, Knock, Archive, Cusack-Cavanagh Papers, no. 140 (photocopy in IAA, courtesy of John Kirwan).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MALAHIDE ROAD, NO. 057 (O'BRIEN INSTITUTE)
Date: 1880-81
Nature: New building for Trustees of late Miss O'Brien on site purchased from Earl of Charlemont. J.J. O'Callaghan winner of limited competition. Kingscourt brick, stone from Hammond's quarry, Drogheda. Contractor for first part of building: A. Hammond & Co. (£16,645). Clerk of Works: J.D. Walsh.
Refs: IB 22, 1 May,15 Jul,15 Aug 1880, 131,208,235; 23, 1 Jan,1,15 Feb,1 Jun 1881, 4,36,39(illus.),52,54(illus.),175; 25, 1,15 Aug 1883, 235(illus.),256(illus.);  Irish Times, 23 May 1881, 3;   Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, CORK ROAD, HOSPITAL OF THE HOLY GHOST
Date: 1880-84
Nature: Winner of competition. Tenders invited, Aug 1880. Nearing completion, Jan 1884. Contractors:(1)Hammond & Co, Dublin & Drogheda; (2) M. Hunt. Clerk of Works: H. Lennon. Cost about £15,000.
Refs: Architect 24, 10 Jul 1880, 30; IB 22, 15 Jul,15 Aug 1880, 205,235; 26, 1 Jan 1884, 6(illus.); P.M. Egan, History, guide and directory of county and city of Waterford [1895], 398

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DENMARK STREET, NO. 001-5 (HAZLETON, CONNOR & CO.)
Date: 1881
Nature: Extensive additions being carried out. Contractor: Joseph Kelly.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Jun 1881, 175

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUFFOLK STREET, NO. 017
Date: 1881
Nature: Rebuilding, for Mr J. Rooney.
Refs: IB 23, 1 Jun 1881, 175

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF, SCHOOL OF THE TWIN SISTERS *
Date: 1883
Nature: See, below, CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MALAHIDE RD, O'BRIEN INSTITUTE
Refs:

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEARSE STREET, NO. 212-213 (THOMAS MCKENZIE & SONS)
Date: 1883
Nature: Proposed design for new premises , costing£12,000-£13,000 (Another proposal by Thomas Drew, costing £9,000 to £10,000.)
Refs: IAA, PKS B11/61

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, CASTLETOWN GEOGHEGAN, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1883-1885
Nature: For Father Luke Barton PP. Local limestone with Tullamore limestone dressings. Contractor: John Molloy, Tullamore. Opened for worship 12 Sep 1885. Cost (including furnishings) £5,850.
Refs: IB 25, 1 May 1883, 138(illus.);  Rev. J. Brady, A short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath, 1867-1944, 216.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PEARSE STREET, NO. 212-213 (THOMAS MCKENZIE & SONS)
Date: 1884
Nature: Early Gothic design obtained in limited competition. On site of Clarendon's Horse Repository & Riding School on S. side oof street. Old building have been removed & new work commenced. Contractor: James Donovan, Dublin & Dalkey. Clerk of Works: Robert Parker.(Destroyed by fire 1970.)
Refs: IB 26, 15 May 1884, 153; B 47, 13 Sep 1884, 372; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHMINES, SCHOOL
Date: 1884
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Very Rev. M.A. Fricker. Builder: Joseph Kelly & Son, Thomas St. Amount of tender: £1739.
Refs: IAA, PKS B12/09

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, ALL HALLOWS COLLEGE
Date: 1884-1887
Nature: New Italianate junior house. JJO'C winner of limited competition. 3 storeys, about 200' long with projecting centre and flanking pavilions, connected to old buildings by cloister corridor at rere.
Refs: IB 26, 15 May 1884, 146,151(illus.); RHA 1887, no. 493; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, MCCABE (CARDINAL) MEMORIAL
Date: 1885
Nature: Unsuccessful competition entrant. Design. repr. in IB.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Jul 1886, 198 (illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARRY STREET, NO. 007-8 (MOONEY'S PUB)
Date: 1886ca
Nature: -Pub on corner site with angle tower.
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 007 (NORTHERN FIRE & LIFE ASSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1887
Nature: Winner of second prize in competition.
Refs: RHA 1887, nos. 479,484; IB 29, 1 Jan,15 May 1887, 4,136,145(illus.); 30, 1 Dec 1888, 297(illus.)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, COLLEGE ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1887
Nature: Entrant in limited competition. Result of competition delayed because of death of Very Rev William Hayden, PP. (Church built 1896-9 to designs by S.F. Hynes)
Refs: IB 29, 1 Mar 1887, 61

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ESSEX STREET EAST, DOLPHIN HOTEL
Date: 1887-1898
Nature: Rebuilding (and extension) at 33 and 34 Essex Street and Crampton Court; 'probably the last important secular Gothic builiding to be erected in the city' (O'Dwyer). For Michael Nugent. Contractor: H. & J. Martin. Adds. & alts., 1894. Contractor: Donovan.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0695, 0696, 0741, B13/33, B14/22, B15/40, B16/14, B18/10, A07 (May 1887-Mar 1889, Jul-Aug 1891, Jul 1894, pp.107,291,300-30);  Irish Times, 1 Sep 1894;   M.J. McDermott, Ireland's Architectural Heritage, 104; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403; Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 442.
 

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUFFOLK STREET, HOUSES
Date: 1887a
Nature: Design for 'recently erected' houses exh. RHA.
Refs: RHA 1887, no. 493

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1888
Nature: Entrant in limited competition for completion of chapel.
Refs: Architect 43, 28 Oct 1887, 259; IB 29, 1 Nov 1887, 306

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, FATHER MATHEW QUAY, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, CAPUCHIN)
Date: 1889
Nature: Invited to take part in limited competition for completing church.
Refs: IB 31, 1 May 1889, 124

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WARRENMOUNT, CONVENT (CARMELITE) SCHOOL
Date: 1889
Nature: FS laid 8 Jun 1889. Contractor: A. Hammond & Co.
Refs: Inscription on ceremonial trowel presented to Dr Walshe, Archbishop of Dublin

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 027 (TYSON)
Date: 1889a
Nature: New tailoring establishment.
Refs: Photograph of cresting by McGloughlin & Sons in IB 31, 15 Mar 1889, 74,75(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SUFFOLK STREET, NO. 016-17
Date: 1889a
Nature: Rebuilding of business premises. Contractor for 16: Meade & Son. Contractor for 17: Hammond.
Refs: IB 31, 15 Feb 1889, 49

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 141 (BOLGER)
Date: 1890
Nature: Remodelling of bar premises on corner of S King St. Contractor: Dockrell, Sons & Co.
Refs: IB 32, 1 May 1890, 112

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEAHY'S TERRACE, NO. 003 (PRESBYTERY)
Date: 1890ca-1894p
Nature: New presbytery. Plans drawn up circa 1890 but still unfinished in Oct 1894. Contractors: Beckett & Sons.
Refs: Irish Times, 15 Oct 1894.

Building: CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, MAIN STREET, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1891
Nature: Proposed new bank premises. Tenders invtited, Jul 1891.  Amount of estimate: £3,491.
Refs: IAA, PKS 0699, A07 (Jul 1891, p.408);  Irish Times, 16,17,20,21,22 Jul 1891.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ADELAIDE ROAD, SYNAGOGUE
Date: 1892
Nature: Byzantine style. Opened 1892. (Demolished, excepting front, 1999)
Refs: E. MacDowell Cosgrave & Leonard R. Strangways, Visitors’ Guide to Dublin and Neighbourhoods (Dublin & London, [1907]), 126; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 510.


Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1893-94
Nature: Renovation of interior, including reordering of sanctuary, for Bishop Edward Thomas O'Dwyer. Designs and plans 'inspired by St Chad's cathedral, Birmingham'. Work carried out by Walter Doolin and Mssrs. Ryan, Limerick. Mural decorations by Hodkinson, Limerick. Priests' and deacons'm stalls carved by Beakey, Dublin.   Consecrated 21 Jun 1894.
Refs: Irish Times, 22 Jun 1894;  John Fleming, St John's Cathedral, Limerick (1987), 72-3

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WEXFORD STREET, NO. 025
Date: 1894
Nature: '...a good pub front of 1894 attributed to J.J. O'Callaghan, with a deep limestone fascia, pink granite pilasters with stiff-leaf capitals and big inverted brackets' (Casey).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 672.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 022 (LONDON & LANCASHIRE FIRE INSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1894-1898
Nature: Winner of competition with design for turreted Gothic building clad in Portland stone, at junction of Westmoreland and D'Olier Sts. Known by JJO'C's contemporaries as 'O'Callaghan's chance', because he had for many years hoped to be commissioned to design a corner building. Contractor: J.W. Beckett.
Refs: IB 36, 1 Oct 1894, 220(illus.); 111, 3 May 1969, 295; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 422.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, LUCAN, PRESENTATION CONVENT NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1894-95
Nature: New schools.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 36, 15 Mar 1894, 72; Irish Times, 20 Apr 1894;  Rev. W. Donegan, Lucania (1902), 8

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HADDINGTON ROAD, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1895-97
Nature: Premiated design in limited competition for adds. & alts. including facade and tower, altar rails, organ.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 37, 15 Feb 1895, 44,47(illus.); N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 73; Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 403

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET LOWER, NO. 030 (MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK)
Date: 1896
Nature: Conversion of existing premises into bank. Contractor: Thomas Mackey, Camden St.
Refs: IB 38, 15 Sep 1896, 195

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 026 (MCINERNY & CO.)
Date: 1897
Nature: New premises just completed. Contractor: John Pemberton. Cost: £6,000.
Refs: IB 39, 15 Apr 1897, 77

Building: CO. MEATH, NAVAN, LORETO CONVENT
Date: 1901
Nature: New. (Was this executed or was it simply alts to existing house? See Casey & Rowan.
Refs: IB 43, 5 Dec 1901, 962; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 429

Building: CO. MEATH, ATHLUMNEY, LORETO CONVENT
Date: 1901
Nature: New. Estimated? cost: £17,000
Refs: IB 43, 5 Dec 1901, 962

Building: CO. KILDARE, EADESTOWN, FOUNTAIN
Date: 1901
Nature: Dublin-made fountain to be erected in memory of Captain Tickell by his tenantry. Contractor: J. Fagan & Sons. Castings by Tonge & Taggart, South City Foundry.
Refs: IB 43, 27 May 1901, 671(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, DISPENSARY & RESIDENCE
Date: 1901
Nature: New. Cost: £800.
Refs: IB 43, 6 Jun,4 Jul 1901, 752,783

Building: CO. KILDARE, BARROWHOUSE (ATHY), CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1902
Nature: New facade, belfry, windows & doors, predella, altar steps (£700) and new Caen stone altar (£100) (Is this the same as Athy church?)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, RATHGAR ROAD (& KIMMAGE ROAD), NEW ROAD
Date: 1902
Nature: Tenders invited for new road, footpath and sewers.
Refs: IB 44, 4 Dec 1902, 1504

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MULLINGAR, ST FINIAN'S DIOCESAN COLLEGE
Date: 1902-1908
Nature: Tenders invited for building same, Aug 1902. Contractor: Francis Gogarty, Drogheda. Cost: £30,000.
Refs: IB 44, 31 Jul,14,28 Aug 1902, 1350,1370,1382; 46, 16 Jan,17 Dec 1904, 30,862; B 83, 2 Aug 1902, 114 (advert. for tenders); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 419-420,pl.130

Building: CO. MAYO, WESTPORT, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Works at same?
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINA, CATHEDRAL OF ST MUIREDACH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Various works. (Is this a confusion with J.J. McCarthy?)
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, SALLINS ROAD, CHURCH OF OUR LADY & ST DAVID (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Obituary of J.J.O'C lists Naas church among 'the great ecclesiastical buildings in the construction of which he worked'. (is this a confusion with J.J. McCarthy?)
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. KILDARE, ATHY, CHURCH (RC)
Date: ?
Nature: Obituary of J.J.O'C lists Athy church among 'the great ecclesiastical buildings in the construction of which he worked'. (Is this Barrowhouse church?)
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET UPPER, HOUSES
Date: ?
Nature: -
Refs: Obituary of J.J.O'C in IB 47, 16 Dec 1905, 918

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STONEYBATTER, NO. 013-15 (LYSTER'S)
Date: ?
Nature: High Victorian pub front attributed to JJ O'C by Frederick O'Dwyer.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 267.


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 071
Date: ?
Nature: A 'turn-of-the-century red brick gabled essay, perhaps by J.J. O'Callaghan, here with a canted corner bay and a rich Ruskinian Gothic shopfront' (Casey).
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 522.


Author Title Date Details
O'callaghan, John Joseph [President' inaugural address to AAI] 1872 IB 14, 15 Oct 1872, 280, and Architect 8, 19 Oct 1872, 219.
O'callaghan, John Joseph [President's address to AAI] 1873 IB 15, 15 Nov 1873, 308-9, Architect 10, 22 Nov 1873, 269; extract in B 31, 22 Nov 1873, 922
O'callaghan, John Joseph 'Working drawings' 1875 IB 18, 15 Jan 1876, 17. (Paper read to AAI, 30 Dec 1875.)
O'callaghan, John Joseph 'Working drawings' 1876 IB 18, 15 Jan 1876, 17; Architect 15. 22 Jan 1876, 51-524; extract in B 34, 29 Jan 1876, 10. (Paper read to AAI, 30 Dec 1875.)