Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Building contractor, of Dublin. Francis Nolan, a son of the building contractor JOHN NOLAN JOHN NOLAN , appears to have been a pupil or assistant of THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , who proposed him as a student of the RIAI in 1863. When he was elected an associate of the Institute in 1869, his address was given as 60 Sackville Street Upper, where Drew then had his office. He appears to have entered into partnership with his father soon afterwards; John Nolan & Son are named as the builders of the Ringsend Glass Bottle Factory and the Munster Bank, Dame Street, in 1871.(1) John Nolan probably died in 1872 or 1873. In the Post Office Dublin Directory for 1874 and 1875, Francis Nolan appears alone at the Meredyth Street address and is described simply as 'building contractor'. He had ceased to be an associate of the RIAI by 1878.(2) He may have died or left Dublin by this date; he does not appear at all in Thom's Official Directory for 1883, when a horse dealer was occupying the Meredyth Street premises.

RIAI: elected student, 19 November 1863, having been proposed by Thomas Drew, seconded by JAMES BELL [2] JAMES BELL [2] ;(3) elected associate 20 May 1869.(4)

Addresses: Work: 60 Upper Sackville Street, 1869.(5)
Home (& eventually Work): 3 Meredyth Place, <=1847(6)->=1875.



References



(1) PKS B05/22, B05/25. MS list of RIAI members, 1878, in RIAI archive.
(3) RIAI general meeting minutes, 18 Jun,19 Nov 1863, 128,133; council meeting minutes, 12 Nov 1863, 7.
(4) RIAI council meeting minutes, 5 Apr 1869, 128; general Meeting Minutes, 15 Apr,20 May 1869, 230,231.
(5) See note 4, above.
(6) See John Nolan.