NICHOLSON, MICHAEL ANGELO #
- Born: 1796c Died: 1842
Architect and architectural draughtsman, of London, for whom see Howard Colvin, A Biographical dictionary of British architects 1600-1840 (3rd edn., 1995), 704. In 1823 Michael Angelo Nicholson was paid £5.13s.9d. by the Grocers' Company for three plans for the Market House at Muff (alias Eglinton), Co. Derry. One of these designs was approved by the Company, which stipulated that the clock shown on the building should be replaced by the Grocers' coat of arms. The extent to which the existing building, completed in 1826 with the involvement of JAMES BRIDGER , was executed in accordance with this design is not clear. Curl points out that the Grocers' arms are now on a flanking wall of the building, where a clock would never have been placed, and suggests the possibility that 'Nicholson's selected design bears no resemblance to the building that was erected'. It is certainly difficult to see where a clock - or indeed the Grocers' arms - could have been placed appropriately on the building as it stands, though it is possible that the wide-eaved roof (in place by 1827) was a modification to Nicholson's design by Bridger.
All information in this entry is from James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 163-165. See also C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 85,89(illus.), and Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 272.
1 work entries listed in chronological order for NICHOLSON, MICHAEL ANGELO #
|Building:||CO. DERRY, EGLINTON, SESSIONS & MARKET HOUSE|
|Nature:||One of 3 designs by M.A. Nicholson approved by Grocers' Company but probably modified by - or even replaced entirely by a new design by - James Bridger.|
|Refs:||C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 85,89(illus.); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 272; James Stevens Curl, The Londonderry Plantation, 1609-1914 (1986), 163-165; also|