Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and builder, of Drogheda. Austin Nicholls was admitted to the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 3 March 1814.(1)  In 1820 he was consulted by John Foster, of Collon, about the cost of repairing 'Develynes Bridge' on the Collon to Slane road.(2) He is probably the 'Nicholl' who enlarged the chancel of the Church of Ireland parish church at Castlebellingham, Co. Louth, in 1821 and built the church at Dromiskin, Co. Louth, in the same year.(3)  He was established as an architect and builder in William Street, Drogheda, by 1824, when he was listed as such in Pigot & Co.'s City of Dublin and Hibernian Provincial Directory (1824).(4)  He also appears in McCabe's Directory of Drogheda for 1830.(5)  His works include the schoolhouse at Kilsaran, Co. Louth, built in 1825(6) and the Presbyterian Church in Drogheda of 1826.(7) Some time before 1833 Andrew Armstrong employed him to remodel Kilsharvan House, Co. Meath, which was effected 'in a style which does infinite credit to his taste, and that of the architect'.(8)

Nicholls subscribed for two copies of William Stitt's The Practical Architect's Ready Assistant; or Builder's Complete Companion (Dublin, 1819).

See WORKS.



References



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) Copy of letter from John Foster to Austin Nicholls, 7 Dec 1820, in PRONI, D562/4023 (seee PRONI e-catalogue).
(3) J.B. Leslie, History of Kilsaran (1908), 57.
(4) p.144.
(5) IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44.
(6) Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 341.
(7) Casey & Rowan, op. cit., above, 186.
(8) Dublin Penny Journal 2, 23 Nov 1833, 165.


8 work entries listed in chronological order for NICHOLLS, AUSTIN


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNLEER, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1818-19
Nature: AN paid £29.1s.3½ in 1818 and £32.7s.11½ in 1819 ''on account of his contract for repairing and dashing the tower of Dunleer Church'.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane).

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROMISKIN, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1821-23
Nature: AN architect, executant architect or builder.  Paid £400 on 6 Jun 1821 and £400 on 20 Sep 1821.  Church built 1822-23. Casey & Rowan say design is a 'standard' John Bowden design and name AN as builder.
Refs: Unsigned, undated sketch drawing  in RCB Library, portfolio 2B;  RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane); J.B. Leslie, History of Kilsaran (1908), 57(illus.); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 248

Building: CO. LOUTH, CASTLEBELLINGHAM, CHURCH (CI, KILSARAN PARISH)
Date: 1821-23
Nature: Enlargement of chancel, also repairing and painting of church.  AN paid total of £72-14s-2d for latter in 1821-1823.
Refs: RCB Library, 'An account of of all sums of money levied for building and repairing of churches...June 1824' (information from Frank Keohane);  J.B. Leslie, History of Kilsaran (1908), 57.

Building: CO. LOUTH, KILSARAN, SCHOOL
Date: 1825
Nature: By 'A. Nicholls'.
Refs: Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 186

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, PALACE STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1826-27
Nature: 'diminutive descendant of King's College Chapel, Cambridge'. FS laid 24 Apr 1826 by Mayor of Drogheda. Church, manse and sexton's house completed 1828.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 11 Feb 1826 (advt. for tenders), 1 Apr 1826; George Henry Bassett, Louth County Guide and Directory (1886), 97-99; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 230; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 241;  illus. in Laurence Kirkpatrick, Presbyterians in Ireland: an illustrated history (Booklink, 2006), 245.


Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, BULL RING, HOUSES (002)
Date: 1832
Nature: 'two newly built dwelling houses situate on the Bullring fronting the bridge...finished by Austin Nicholls in a substantial manner' to let.
Refs: Drogheda Journal, 22 Dec 1832

Building: CO. MEATH, KILSHARVAN HOUSE
Date: 1833a
Nature: Remodelling, for Andrew Armstrong 'in a style which does infinite credit to his taste, and that of his architect, Mr Austin Nicholls, of Drogheda'.
Refs: Dublin Penny Journal 2, 23 Nov 1833, 165

Building: CO. LOUTH, BALLSGROVE (DROGHEDA)
Date: 1840
Nature: Gateway to stable yard inscribed 'This Gate Erected by Austin Nicholls Esq Arch I[?].D. 1840'
Refs: