Architect, of Dublin. Henry Richard Newton, eldest of the four children of Henry Newton, public accountant, of 50 Sackville Street and 4 Church Avenue, Rathmines, was born in 1848. The details of his training are not known, but he had established an office at 202 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, by 1879, when he exhibited his first two designs at the Royal Hibernian Academy. He exhibited further designs at the Academy in 1881, 1883, 1885 and 1886. The earliest of these were all for buildings for Reginald, Viscount Brabazon, and for his father the eleventh Earl of Meath.
Newton died of a strangulated hernia on 9 April 1886, aged only thirty-eight 1886; his death was noted in the RIAI's report of council for the session, in which he was described as 'quite a young man who had got over the difficulties of starting in the world and first making a name'. He was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery. He had married Gerturde Eleanor, daughter of George M. King on 1 June 1880 and had two sons.
RIAI: elected member, 4 June 1883, having been proposed by HENRY WILMOT and WILLIAM STIRLING.
Addresses: Work: 202 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin, 1879-1886.
Home: 62 Rathgar Road, 1879-82; 2 Tivoli Place, Dun Laoghaire, at time of death.
All genealogical information in this entry not otherwise accounted for was kindly supplied by Enda McMahon in e-mail to editor of 16 Jun 2009. McMahon cites his sources as Mount Jerome burial register in the Dublin Civic Archives, calendar of wills and administrations in the National Archives, marriage certificate in General RegisterOffice and Thom's directories.
Nos. 317 and 373.
RIAI council meeting minutes, 17 Jun 1886, 249.
RIAI report of council for session 1885-6, 283.
RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 Jun 1883, 228.
From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.
This was the house of a Mrs Newton, Henry Richard Newton's by then widowed mother.