- Born: - Died: 1856?
Dublin city surveyor, 1828-1856. Arthur Neville (or Nevill), a son of ARTHUR RICHARDS NEVILLE and referred to as Arthur Neville, junior, until his father's death, was in partnership with his father as a land surveyor from 1808 or earlier.(1) He carried on the business after his father's death in 1828, from 14 York Street until 1846 and later from 40 York Street. He succeeded his father as Dublin city surveyor in April 1828,(2) holding the post - from 1845 until 1851 jointly with his son PARKE NEVILLE - until it was abolished in 1856. 1856 may well have been the date of his death, as he does not appear in the 'List of the Nobility, Gentry, Merchants and Traders' in the Post Office Directory for 1857. Many of his survey maps and plans, dating from 1824 to 1836 are in the Pembroke Estate records in the National Archives, Acc. 2011.
Address: 14 York Street, 1824 -1845; 40 York Street, 1847->=1853.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Wilson's, Thom's and Post Office directories and from Mary Clarke, The Book of Maps of the Dublin City Surveyors 1695-1827 (Dublin City Libraries, 1983), i.
(1) Arthur Richard Neville & Son, city land surveyors, are first listed in Wilson's Dublin Directory in 1808.
(2) CARD XVIII, 265.
(3) Diary of Sir Vere Hunt, NLI microfilm P 5527, 5528 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44). Works mentioned include alterations to the Curragh, New Birmingham (Hunt's new town) and a design for a bridewell (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
4 work entries listed in chronological order for NEVILLE, ARTHUR
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, PARK|
|Nature:||Plans for improvement by A. Nevill, jr.|
|Refs:||Drawings in PRONI D562/7742 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, EARLSFORT TERRACE, IVEAGH GARDENS|
|Nature:||Proposal for building on same. for Thomas, Earl of Clonmel.|
|Refs:||NA/PRO, Wide Streets Commissioners' maps, 470 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc.2008/44); Nicholas Sheaff, Iveagh House (Dublin, Department of Foreign Affairs, 1978), 54|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WILTON PLACE|
|Nature:||Terrace of 6, 4-storey over basement houses. Revised, truncated form of unexecuted scheme for crescent backing on to Fitzwilliam Place and fronting canal. For Pembroke Estates.
Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 595.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AUNGIER STREET, ST PETER'S CHURCH (CI)|
|Nature:||Proposed improvement. Design by Arthur Neville (or possibly Arthur Richards Neville?).|
|Refs:||Signed undated drawing in NLI, old ref. AD 1445|