Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Michael Neilan was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 28 April 1842 and was awarded a premium on 30 June following.(1) He is probably the same person as the M.R. Neylan who exhibited a painting of a peasant girl at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1847(2) and a 'Portrait of a Gentleman' and a 'Portrait of a Lady and Gentleman' in 1853.(3) If so, he had evidently given up architecture in favour of portraiture. He may have been a connection of William Neilan (b. 1815), who became master of the Royal Dublin Society's Figure School in 1846 (see W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 164).



References



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) No. 148.
(3) Nos. 193,407. His address in 1853 is given as 22 Gloucester Place.