Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Newry, Co. Down. Patrick Neary, who was born circa 1886, was the second son of Denis Neary, building contractor in Newry, and his wife, Margaret.   He had set up in business as an architect at the family home in River Street, Newry, by 1911.(1) In 1913 he was appointed architect by Newry No.1 Rural District Council for its third and fourth labourers' housing schemes(2) and in 1914 town surveyor for Warrenpoint Urban District Council.(3) He established an extensive practice in Newry and the surrounding district, and in the early 1920s was involved in many claims relating to the destruction of country houses, acting both for claimants and for the Free State government. He died 'at a comparatively early age' at home in Newry in the early spring of 1930. Although he had a brother, John Neary, who was appointed architect in his place for the completion of the Newry No.1 Rural District Council housing scheme in May 1930,(4) his practice was advertised as being for sale later in the same month.(5)

RIAI: elected member, 1918.(6)

Addresses: 1 River Street, Newry, 1911; Hill Street, 1914;(7) 11 Hill Street, <=1915(8)-1921; John Mitchell Place, 1922-1929.

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the 1911 census, http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Newry_South/River_Street/257069/ (last visited Jan 2009), from the brief obituary of Neary in IB 72, 12 Apr 1930, 318, and from RIAI membership lists. 

(1)
IB 53, 27 May 1911, 362.
(2)
IB 55, 10 May 1913, 320.
(3)
IB 56, 3 Jan 1914, 24.
(4)
IB 72, 10 May 1930, 432.
(5)
IB 72, 24 May 1930, 488.
(6)
JRIAI (1919), 3.
(7)
IB 56, 25 Apr 1914, 263.
(8)
IB 57, 27 Feb 1915, 106.


22 work entries listed in chronological order for NEARY, PATRICK JAMES


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, BRIDGE STREET, SHOP & HOUSE
Date: 1911
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same.
Refs: IB 53, 16 Sep 1911, 630

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, MEETING STREET, FORESTERS' HALL
Date: 1911
Nature: New hall to be erected for Irish National Foresters.
Refs: IB 53, 27 May 1911, 362

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HIGH STREET, ST CLARE'S CONVENT
Date: 1913
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new laundry.
Refs: IB 55, 24 May 1913, 351

Building: CO. DOWN, KILKEEL, HOUSES (002)
Date: 1913
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same, for Mr J. Rooney.
Refs: IB 55, 18 Jan 1913, 52

Building: CO. LOUTH, OMEATH, FORESTERS' HALL
Date: 1914
Nature: New.
Refs: IB 56, 25 Apr 1914, 263

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HOUSES
Date: 1914
Nature: Labourers' cottages.
Refs: IB 56, 21 Nov 1914, 646

Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYHOLLAND, NATIONAL SCHOOL
Date: 1915
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of same.
Refs: IB 5;7, 27 Feb 1915, 106

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HILL STREET, SHOPS (004)
Date: 1916
Nature: 4 new shops on site of old newsroom completed for Newry Newsroom Co. 60ft frontage. Facade 'an application of the pure Roman adaptation of the Doric Order after the type of the Italian Renaissance'. Contractor: J. Wilson & Sons, Warrenpoint.
Refs: IB 58, 16 Sep 1916, 456

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, HILL STREET, SHOP
Date: 1916
Nature: New shop for Mr P. Mahon has been built next to Belfast Bank.
Refs: IB 58, 16 Sep 1916, 456

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, ?, NEWRY MINERAL WATER CO.
Date: 1918
Nature: Murtagh Lavery's tender of £315 for sundry repairs accepted.
Refs: IB 60, 30 Mar 1918, 178

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, HOUSES
Date: 1919
Nature: Architect for proposed housing scheme.
Refs: IB 61, 25 Jan,31 May 1919, 39,276; 62, 17 Jan 1920, 47

Building: CO. DOWN, NEWRY, ?, HUGH CAMPBELL & SON
Date: 1919
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new engine house.
Refs: IB 61, 25 Oct 1919, 485

Building: CO. DOWN, SPINN, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1920
Nature: To be buillt for Rev. T. McGrath, PP.
Refs: IB 62, 17 Jul 1920, 477

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, HIGH STREET, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1922
Nature: Improvements and strong room being carried out. Contractor: Thomas Mackey & Sons, Dublin.
Refs: IB 64, 6 May 1922, 318

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, HIGH STREET, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1923
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new premises.
Refs: IB 65, 25 Aug 1923, 658;  B 125, 31 Aug 1923, 344

Building: CO. DOWN, MAYOBRIDGE, CONVENT OF ST CLARE
Date: 1923-24
Nature: Tenders invited for erection of new convent for Sisters of St Clare, High St. Newry.
Refs: IB 65, 10 Feb 1923, 101

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DERRYMACASH, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC, SEAGOE PARISH)
Date: 1923-26
Nature: Alts. & adds. Sanctuary moved from S to N, new sacristy, choir gallery, baptistry, doors, re-erection of altars in new chancel. Contractor: Sweeney & Sons, Edward St, Lurgan.
Refs: IB 65, 2 Jun 1923, 424; 68, 20 Mar 1926, 222;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 298.

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, PAROCHIAL HOUSE
Date: 1925
Nature: New parochial house for Clonallon parish adjoining St Peter's church. FS laid 21 Aug 1925 by Most Rev. Dr Mulhern, Bishop of Dromore. Contractor: Felix O'Hare, Warrenpoint.Proposed to extend church by taking in site of old parochial house.
Refs: IB 67, 7 Mar,5 Sep 1925, 190,734; Catholic Directory (1926), 583

Building: CO. DOWN, KILKEEL, MUNSTER & LEINSTER BANK
Date: 1926
Nature: Tenders received for erection of new premises.
Refs: IB 68, 10 Jul 1926, 546

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, MOUNT ST COLUMB'S
Date: 1926
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Alexian Brothers.
Refs: IB 68, 6 Mar 1926, 181

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TULLYKERRON, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1927
Nature: Repairs, plastering, &c. Tenders invited.
Refs: IB 69, 28 May 1927, 399

Building: CO. DOWN, WARRENPOINT, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC)
Date: 1928
Nature: Enlargement in progress. Contractor: F. O'Hare, Warrenpoint.
Refs: IB 70, 29 Sep 1928, 838