Selected: MCNEA, JAMES


Born: -
Died: -


Architect and surveyor, of Belfast, active in the 1850s and 1860s, who designed the Belfast Bank in Ballymoney, finished in 1864.(1) James McNea was probably also a developer, as he was involved in the leasing of property in central Belfast - both as lessor and lessee - during the 1860s.(2)

The following probably all refer to the same person: 'J. McNea' who designed the Presbyterian Church at Stewartstown, Co. Tyrone, in 1851,(3) 'Mr McNea', who designed the Presbyterian church at Sandy Row, Belfast, opened 1861,(4) and 'John McNea' who designed a new Presbyterian church for Armagh in 1866.(5) It also seems very likely that James McNea was the 'McNeil' who won a competition to design St John's CI church, Laganbank Road, Belfast, under the bequest of a Mr Hamilton in 1852.(6) A James McNea married Margaret Hunter in Belfast in 1845.(7)

Addresses:(8) Work: 95 York Street, 1852; 5 Donegall Street, 1861.
Home: 161 York Street, 1861.

See WORKS.

References


(1) PRONI, D3747/2/1-5 (see PRONI e-catalogue).
(2) B 22, 12 Mar 1864, 192.
(3) B 9, 16 Aug 1851, 517.
(4) B 19, 2 Feb 1861, 81.
(5) DB 8, 15 Aug 1866, 209.
(6) B 10, 17 Apr 1852, 245.
(7) www.familysearch.org.
(8) From Belfast and the Province of Ulster Directory for 1851 and 1861-2.

6 work entries listed in chronological order for MCNEA, JAMES


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. TYRONE, STEWARTSTOWN, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1ST)
Date: 1851
Nature: New church for 500 persons.  Opened 4 Jun 1852. Contractor: Mr Johnson, Cookstown.
Refs: B 9, 16 Aug 1851, 517;  Armagh Guardian, 19 Jun 1852;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 490.

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KEADY, 2ND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH MANSE
Date: 1860-61
Nature: New manse. Tenders invited , Jul 1860.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 6 Jul 1860, 15 Feb 1861..

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, GREAT VICTORIA STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1860-62
Nature: New church to accommodate 800. Classical, stucco. Designed by 'Mr McNea'. (Originally known as Sandy Row Presbyterian Church.)
Refs: B 19, 2 Feb 1861, 81; Marcus Patton, Central Belfast: an historical gazetteer (UAHS, 1993), 169

Building: CO. ARMAGH, LURGAN, HILL STREET, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (2ND)
Date: 1861p
Nature: New church.   'It is in the Gothic style of architecture, and dates from 1862. The chief material used in construction is black stone with freestone corners.'(Basset) Tenders invited for erecting new church, Aug 1861.
Refs: Protestant Watchman & Lurgan Gazette, 10 Aug 1861;  George Henry Bassett, The Book of County Armagh (1888), 351;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 429.

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYMONEY, HIGH STREET, BELFAST BANK
Date: 1864
Nature: Italianate bank on site of (or conversion of?) old Assembly Rooms, purchased 1863. Finished 1864.
Refs: B 22, 12 Mar 1864, 192; W.D. Girvan, North Antrim (1972), 38 (no. 112)

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1866
Nature: New church to be built to designs by John[sic] McNea.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Aug 1866, 209