MCGUINNESS, WILLIAM BINGHAM
- Born: 1849 Died: 1928
Landscape painter, originally trained as an architect. William Bingham McGuinness, who was born in 1849, served his articles with JOHN SKIPTON MULVANY in Dublin. He became Mulvany's last assistant and was his executor.(1) In 1865, he submitted a design in the Belfast Albert Memorial competition, which he exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1868 (no. 298). During his apprenticeship he attended painting classes at the Royal Hibernian Academy and soon discovered that it was in painting that his true vocation lay; however, he still designated himself 'architect and architectural colourist' in Thom's(?) directory for 1873, and simply 'architect' in The Post Office Dublin Directory for 1874. In 1874 he went to Dusseldorf to pursue his painting studies. The choice of Dusseldorf was probably influenced by the fact that Mulvany's elder brother, WILLIAM THOMAS MULVANY , had established himself there very successfully as a mining engineer and public figure. The only other architectural work which McGuinness was to exhibit at the Royal Hibernian Academy was a 'Perspective view of four dwelling houses, erected at Castrop, Westphalia, for the Prussian Mining Company', exhibited at the Academy in 1875 (no.216). After his return to Dublin he appears to have devoted himself entirely to painting. He died in Dublin on 26 July 1928.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Theo Snoddy, Dictionary of Irish Artists: 20th Century (1996), 293, which see for a further account of McGuinness's career as a painter.
(1) Frederick O'Dwyer, 'The architecture of John Skipton Mulvany', Irish Architectural and Decorative Studies 3 (2000), 46.
2 work entries listed in chronological order for MCGUINNESS, WILLIAM BINGHAM
|Building:||CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, VICTORIA STREET, ALBERT MEMORIAL CLOCK TOWER|
|Refs:||Design exh. RHA 1868 (no. 298)|
|Building:||GERMANY, CASTROP (WESTPHALIA), HOUSES (004)|
|Nature:||Design of houses for Prussian Mining Co. exh. RHA. (possibly not designed by WBMcG himself)|
|Refs:||RHA 1875, no. 216|