Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin, active in the first three decades of the nineteenth century. James McEvoy was a son of TIMOTHY MCEVOY TIMOTHY MCEVOY and his wife Ann, née Stubbs. He inherited his father's business in 1808. His uncle JAMES HENRY STUBBS JAMES HENRY STUBBS , who had been employed by his father, initially continued to work for him but was dismissed, Stubbs claiming that it was because Mrs McEvoy objected to his marriage to a Protestant, the McEvoys maintaining that it was because he undertook outside jobs while he was employed by them.  According to his fellow tradesmen, writing in 1834, he 'retired wealthy about 1826'.(1)

Addresses: 2 Leinster Street, 1816-1820; St Andrew Street, 1821-1827.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is fromTCD muniments, MUN/P/2/201 and Wilson's Dublin Directory.


(1) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.