Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Carpenter and builder, of Dublin, active from the 1790s until the end of 1808. From 1791 until his death Timothy McEvoy was regularly employed by Trinity College, Dublin, on the Dunsink observatory, the library, the chapel and elsewhere.(1) He was one of ten signatories to the 'Certificate of the Principal Architects and builders of this City' which was annexed to Bryan Bolger's application for the post of measurer of works for the Royal Canal in July 1796(2) and may be the 'Mr McEvoy' who in 1792 offered to rebuild the music hall in Fishamble Street as a dining hall for the King's Inns.(3) He died in 1808, and his will was proved in the same year.(4).   Writing about him in 1834, his fellow tradesmen recalled that he had been a 'considerable public contractor' who had employed thirty men and died wealthy.(5)  He had married Ann Stubbs and had a son, JAMES MCEVOY JAMES MCEVOY , who inherited the business.(6)

Addresses:(7) 134 Townsend Street, 1798; 3 Fade Street, 1799; 134 Townsend Street, 1802; 149 Townsend Street, 1803-1807.






References



(1) TCD muniments, MUN/P/2/163, 169, 170, 172, 173, 185-91, 193, 194, 197.
(2) Bryan Bolger MSS, NA/PRO 1A/58/129.
(3) King's Inns minutes, 8 Jun 1792 (IAA, Edward McParland files, Acc. 2008/44).
(4) Arthur Vicars, Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810 (1897), 304.
(5) Royal Irish Academy, Haliday MS 4B 31; this manuscript is a copy of a report presented to Daniel O'Connell in 1834 to support the argument for repealing the Act of Union by describing the catastrophic impact the Act had had on the tradesmen of Dublin.
(6) TCD muniments, MUN/P/2/201.
(7) From Wilson's Dublin Directory