Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Co. Cavan and Ontario, Canada.  Arthur McClean, who was born in Belturbet, Co, Cavan, in 1779, emigrated in the early 1820s to Canada and had settled in Brockville, Ontario, by 1825.   In Ireland, according to his son's  journal of an Irish tour in 1855 in the posession of his Canadian descendants, he designed the market house at Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan (1813)(1) and the Church of Ireland church at Virginia, Co. Cavan (1818).   In Canada he designed three Church of England churches: St. Peter's, Brockville.St. James's, Maitland, Ontario, and Christ Church, Burritt’s Rapids, Ontario. He died in Canada in 1864.  By his wife Elizabeth he had at least two sons: James (b. 1827) and Arthur (1828-1881).(2)

See WORKS.



References

Information from communication from Stephen A. Otto, Ministry of Culture & Recreation, Queen's Park, Toronto M7A 2R9, to Dr Edward McParland and Heritage Brockville, http://city.brockville.on.ca/heritage/index.cfm?ID=669 (last visited, May 2014) which includes a portrait photograph of McClean in his later years.
 

(1)   According to C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 53, there are 'very similar buildings, evidently by the same hand' at Ballinagh, Co. Cavan, and Balbriggan, Co. Dublin.
(2) Parish Register of Brockville and Vicinity, 1814-1830, http://my.tbaytel.net/bmartin/brockvll.htm (last visited, May 2014).


4 work entries listed in chronological order for MCCLEAN, ARTHUR


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. CAVAN, BALLYJAMESDUFF, MARKET HOUSE
Date: 1813
Nature: Said by his son to have been built by AM.; 'extremely handsome' (Brett). Plaque over central door inscr. 'Erected in MDCCCXIII A Year memorable for the Glorious Achievements of Marquis Wellington'.
Refs: Diary if an Irish tour, 1855, in possession of family (information sent to Edward McParland by Stephen A. Otto, Ministry of Culture & Recreation, Queen's Park, Toronto M7A 2R9); C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 53,57(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 171.

Building: CO. CAVAN, VIRGINIA, CHURCH (CI, LURGAN PARISH)
Date: 1818-21
Nature: New church. Said by his son to have been built by AM.   'The church ... was erected in 1821, at a cost of £2492.6.1¾, of whic £1846.3.1 was a loan from the same Board [of First Fruits], and the remainder was contributed by the parishioners;  having been accidentally burnt in the windter of 1830, it was repaired by subscriptions amounting to £900, contributed chiefly by the bishop and the parishioners.'(Lewis)
Refs: Samuel Lewis, A Topographical dictionary of Ireland (1837), II, 323;  Diary of an Irish tour, 1855, in possession of family (information sent to Edward McParland by Stephen A. Otto, Ministry of Culture & Recreation, Queen's Park, Toronto M7A 2R9);   Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 572;  illus. in Claude Costegalde & Brian Walker, The Church of Ireland: an illustrated history (2013), 246.

Building: CO. CAVAN, BALLINAGH, MARKET HOUSE
Date: 1821
Nature: New market house attributed to Mcclean by Brett and Mulligan on basis of similarity to market house at Ballyjamesduff.  For James Stewart Fleming, of Belville.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 53;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 185.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, MARKET HOUSE
Date: ?
Nature: Attributed by Brett to McClean on basis of similarity to market house at Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan.
Refs: C.E.B. Brett, Court Houses and Market Houses of the Province of Ulster (UAHS, 1973), 53