Selected: MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH


Born: 1817
Died: 1882


Architect, of Dublin. James Joseph McCarthy was born in Dublin on 6 January 1817, the son of one Charles McCarthy, said to have been of Co. Kerry origins, who by 1831 was living at 14 Purdon Street, Dublin.(1) James Joseph had already been studying measuring when he became a pupil at the Christian Brothers' O'Connell School in North Richmond Street, which opened in 1831. He entered the Royal Dublin Society's Figure and Ornament Schools in the autumn of 1834 but subsequently transferred to the School of Architecture, where he was awarded the second premium for a drawing of the orders on 14 December 1837.(2) Earlier the same year he had exhibited his first design at the Royal Hibernian Academy, for a village in the Elizabethan style.(3) He is said to have been apprenticed at some stage to WILLIAM FARRELL. WILLIAM FARRELL. (4) While his earliest recorded independent commission was for St Columb's Catholic church, Derry, 1838-41, he does not appear in the Dublin directories until 1846. Sheehy suggests that in the intervening period he may have worked for CHARLES HANSOM  CHARLES HANSOM in England.

Having opened his Dublin office, McCarthy began to make a name for himself as a proponent of ecclesiological principles in Catholic church design. He contributed articles on ecclesiastical architecture to James Duffy's Irish Catholic Magazine, first published in 1847.  In 1849 he became a founder member of the Irish Ecclesiological Society. Sheehy points out how his membership of the society, in which he was the only architect, significantly promoted his career and, by providing contacts with influential members of the Catholic clergy, helped to establish him as the leading architect of Irish Catholic churches in the mid-Victorian period.   In his politics he was a Nationalist, a member of the Young Ireland movement and a close friend of Charles Gavan Duffy.

In 1857 McCarthy, who already held the position of Professor of Ecclesiastical Architecture at All Hallow's Missionary College, Dublin, was appointed Professor of Architecture at the Catholic University of Ireland, an unsalaried position.(5) In 1861 he held a class every Wednesday from 7.30 to 9.30 pm.(6) He was also Professor of Architecture of the Royal Hibernian Academy from 1868 or earlier until at least 1875.(7) At the beginning of 1863 he embroiled himself in controversy by criticising Benjamin Lee Guinness's restoration of St Patrick's Cathedral in the Dublin Builder and the Freeman's Journal.(8)

By early 1852 McCarthy was in correspondence with AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE PUGIN AUGUSTUS WELBY NORTHMORE PUGIN , who died in the same year. In addition to seeking Pugin's advice on his own work, he undertook the supervision of Pugin's Fitzpatrick mortuary chapel in Clough, Co. Leix.(9) After Pugin's death McCarthy took over the completion of the chapel and, initially,j of Pugin's other unfinished churches.(10) In 1860 McCarthy entered a brief partnership with DANIEL O'CONNELL DANIEL O'CONNELL , grandson of the Liberator and a former pupil of JOSEPH ALOYSIUS HANSOM JOSEPH ALOYSIUS HANSOM , brother of Charles Hansom.(11) On the evidence of the directories the partnership had come to an end by 1863. Towards the end of his life he was joined by his son and former pupil, CHARLES JAMES MCCARTHY CHARLES JAMES MCCARTHY . Other pupils and assistants included WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE  WILLIAM HENRY BYRNE and JOSEPH S. CONNOLLY.& JOSEPH S. CONNOLLY.& #160;  A glimpse into life in his office is afforded by the report in the Irish Times of the case of O'Malley v. McCarthy, heard before the Court of Common Pleas on 14 December 1863, in which  O'Malley, an apprentice, charged McCarthy with 'several acts of violence and assault' and was awarded £70 damages.  Though O'Malley's behaviour was undoubtedly unsatisfactory, McCarthy, who admitted to having 'slapped the plaintiff in the face for looking cross' and to striking him with a square, comes across as an irascible and intemperate master.(12)

McCarthy was unwell for some time before his death, which took place on 6 February 1882 at Charleston House, Rathmines. He was buried the following day at Glasnevin Cemetery.(13) He was survived by his wife, Agnes, who was born on 6 November 1819 and died on 21 June 1885,(14) by his son, Charles, and three daughters. His estate was valued at £7,069.11s.7d.

RIAI: elected fellow, 3 January 1853;(15) council member 1863-66.(16)
RIBA: elected fellow, 5 December 1870, having been proposed by G.R. Blount, J. Edmeston and W. Wardell.(17)
RHA: elected associate, 17 July 1851;(18) member under new charter, 1860;(19) Professor of Architecture, 1866.(20)
RSAI: elected member, 18 January 1865; proposed by Rev. P.V. Skelly, OP.(21)
RIA: elected member, 11 April 1853.(22)

Addresses:(23) 32 Greatt Brunswick St reet, 1846-1855; 183 Great Brunswick Street, 1861-1881; 12 Westland Row, 1882.
Home: Leinster Rd, Rathmines, 1851-1852; 7 Leinster Rd, Rathmines, 1853-55; 7 Williams Park, Rathmines, 1856-1863; 3 Longford Terrace, Kingstown, 1864-65; Charleston House, Rathmines, 1867 until death.

See WORKS and  BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.

References
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the account of McCarthy's life in Jeanne Sheehy's monograph on McCarthy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 5-29, which see for a more detailed discussion of McCarthy's work. Obituaries appear in IB 24, 1 Mar 1882, 77, and B 42, 18 Mar 1882, 309, and a brief paragraph on his death is in Architect 27, 11 Feb 1882, 86. The obituaries are singularly free of any biographical information; a short note on McCarthy in IB Jubilee Number (1909), 68, is a little more informative.


(1) IB Jubilee Number (1909), 68.
(2) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(3) No. 212; this was followed by a design for a gentleman's mansion, 1838 (no. 198), a design for a mansion, 1840 (no. 323), a design for a villa, 1841 (no. 378), a design for a church, 1842 (no. 455) and a plan and elevation of a shooting lodge, 1843 (no. 622); after an eight year interval McCarthy started to exhibit designs for actual works in hand in 1851.
(4) The only evidence for this appears to be in IB Jubilee Number (1909), 68, where the name is given as James Farrell.; this is presumably William Farrell but could also be Isaac Farrell.
(5) Letter from J.H. Newman to McCarthy, 30 Oct 1857, in UCD archives (photocopy in Jones file).
(6) DB 3, 15 Jan 1861, 410.
(7) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories, 1869-1875.
(8) DB 5, 15 Jan,1 Feb 1863, 4-6,14-16; see Sheehy, pp. 15-18 for a summary of this debate.
(9) R. O'Donnell, 'The Pugins in Ireland' in P.Atterbury, ed., A.W.N. Pugin, Master of Gothic Revival (Yale, 1995), 159n87.
(10) O'Donnell, loc. cit.
(11) DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 288.
(12) Irish Times, 15 Dec 1863.
(13) Irish Times, 6 Feb 1882.
(14) Inscription on grave in Glasnevin Cemetery.
(15) RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 Dec 1852, 109, special general meeting minutes 3 Jan 1853, 110.
(16) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories and RIAI lists of officers.
(17) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 584.
(18) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 629.
(19) See note 14, above, and DB 3, 1 Feb 1861, 416.
(20) B 24, 17 Nov 1866, 858.
(21) JRSAI 8 (1864-66), 218.
(22) Jones, source not given.
(23) From Thom's directories and Jones's transcripts of same.

124 work entries listed in chronological order for MCCARTHY, JAMES JOSEPH


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, CHAPEL ROAD (WATERSIDE), CHURCH OF ST COLUMB (RC)
Date: 1838-1841
Nature: Rectangular 5-bay hall. Perpendicular, with battlemented parapet. Cost over £2,000.
Refs: Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 35; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 226-7,249, Pl.123

Building: CO. WICKLOW, GLENDALOUGH, CHURCH OF ST KEVIN (RC)
Date: 1846-51
Nature: New church in First Pointed Gothic style. For Rev. Eugene Clarke, PP.Granite with limestone dressings. FS laid 3(or 2 or 10?) Jun 1846. Complete apart from floor, 1849. Consecrated 3 Jun 1851. Statue in S gable by James Cahill of Dublin School of Design.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; Catholic Directory (1849), 356; (1850), 300(illus.); Catholic Registry (1853), 275; B 9, 28 Jun 1851, 409; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 4(illus.),7,35.

Building: CO. MEATH, KILSKYRE (KELLS), CHURCH OF ST ALPHONSUS LIGUORI (RC)
Date: 1847-1854
Nature: New church, begun 1847 as a relief measure.. Contractor: James Clarke, Kells. Roof stripped by gale of 1853 when church was nearing completion.. Church opened 21 May 1854. Formally dedicated, 1868.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1849), 191,323; (1850), 249; Rev. J. Brady, A Short history of the parishes of the diocese of Meath 1867-1944, ?; DB 5, 1 Feb 1863, 15; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 38 (cites criticism of design in The Ecclesiologist, Aug 1847, 62); Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 367; illus. in http://www.kilskyreballinlough.ie/churches (2008)

Building: CO. GALWAY, BALLINASLOE, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1848-1858
Nature: JJM wins competiton 1846, project then abandoned probably due to famine; project reopened 1851 & design revised by A.W.N. Pugin. FS laid 1 or 13Apr 1852. . Consecrated 25 Aug 1858. Early Decorated Gothic. Chancel window by Barff.
Refs: RHA 1851, no. 312; B 10, 8 May,23 Oct 1852, 300,677; 16, 25 Aug,4 Sep 1858, 539,607; DB 1, 1 Oct 1859, 133; Catholic Registry (1853), 320); Patrick K. Egan, St Michael's, Ballinasloe: Centennial Souvenir (1958), 4,6,8,10; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 35-36

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, ALL HALLOWS COLLEGE
Date: 1848;1853;1860p
Nature: Chapel and collegiate buildings. North wing added, 1853; West wing begun 1857. Completion of chapel in or after 1860. East wing never built. Builder (of original collegiate buildings): John Conolly, Prince's St.
Refs: Catholic Directory (1849), 357(illus.); (1850), 283; RHA 1851, no. 302; 1859, no. 350; B 11, 20 Aug 1853, 533; 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; DB 1, 1 Jun 1859, 70; 2, 1 Feb 1860, 199(illus.),201; IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 193; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 36,37(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HADDINGTON ROAD, BOYS' SCHOOL
Date: 1850
Nature: Adjacent to St Mary's Church.
Refs: N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes I, 54

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, CHURCH (RC), CONVENT & SCHOOLS
Date: 1851
Nature: Unexecuted design for same? (Convent building erected c. 1856-7, but architect not named, see DB I, 1 Oct 1859, 133)
Refs: B 9, 21 Jun 1851, 393, but see Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 42, and Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 279

Building: CO. KERRY, ARDFERT, CHURCH OF ST BRENDAN (RC)
Date: 1851-53
Nature: Early English.
Refs: B 9, 27 Sep 1851, 610; 10, 17 Jan 1852, 46; 11, 9 Apr 1853, 236; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 10(illus.),43.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, SANDYMOUNT ROAD, CHURCH OF OUR LADY STAR OF THE SEA (RC)
Date: 1851-58
Nature: FS laid 7 May 1851; badly damaged by storms, 1853; completed (without tower), 1858.
Refs: RHA 1851, no. 306; B 9, 3 May 1851, 409; DB 5, 1,15 Feb 1863, 15,27; IB 25, 15 Dec 1883, 393; 26, 1 Feb 1884, ?(illus.); 31, 15 Oct 1889, 253; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 55; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 36-38

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MEATH STREET, CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE (RC)
Date: 1852-1858
Nature: New church on site of old Meath Street chapel. FS laid 30 Jun 1852 .Nearly completed in Jan 1856 when total cost amounted to £70263s 2d.. Dedicated 30 Jun 1858. Completed apart from upper portion of tower and spire by Mar 1857. Builder: Beardwood.
Refs: Catholic Registry (1853), 316; Repertorium Novum (1959-60), 395; B 10, 13 Mar,17,24 Apr 1852, 172,245,267-8; 11, 2 Apr 1853, 215; 15, 28 Mar 1857, 179; 16, 26 Jun 1858, 442;  Freeman's Journal, 22 Jan 1856;  DB 4, 1 Jul 1862, 172; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, II, 227; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 44-45;  t;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 629.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DOMINICK STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1852-1861
Nature: 14th c. Decorated Gothic. FS laid 8 Sep 1852; roofed by Apr 1858; consecrated 15 Jan 1861. Contractor: Beardwood. Clerk of Works: John Doyle. Carving: Henry Lane. Painted decoration: Thomas Earley. Stained glass: O'Connor & Son. Metal work: Hardman & Co. Cost: £18,000.
Refs: B 10, 4 Sep 1852, 570; 11, 5 Feb 1853, 90; 15, 28 Mar 1857, 179; 16, 10 Apr,30 Oct 1858, 250,723; 19, 9 Feb 1861, 97; DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 239; 3, 1,15 Jan,15 May 1861, 391,398,508; 5, 1 May 1863, 79; RHA 1861, no. 611; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, III. 132; Repertorium Novum (1961-2), 217; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), front cover(illus.),24(illus.),29(illus.),30(illus.),33(illus.),43-44;  t;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 134, Pl.74..

Building: CO. KILDARE, NAAS, SALLINS ROAD, CHURCH OF OUR LADY & ST DAVID (RC)
Date: 1852ca-1859
Nature: Addition of tower and spire to church of 1827., for Rev. Gerald Doyle.
Refs: B 12, 7 Jan 1854, 6; DB 1, 1 Mar 1859, 29; 3, 1 Aug 1861, 591; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 46;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 112(illus.).

Building: CANADA, NEWFOUNDLAND, ST JOHN'S, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC), CONVENT & SCHOOL
Date: 1853
Nature: To be erected, for Dr Mullock. To occupy 3 sides of quadrangle, with church on one side, school opposite and convent between. Early English style.
Refs: B 11, 9 Apr 1853, 238; Malcolm Thurlby, 'St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, School, and Convent in St John's: J.J. McCarthy and Irish Gothic Revival in Newfoundland', Journal for the Study of Architecture in Canada 28, nos. 3 & 4 (2003), 13-20(illus.)

Building: CO. DERRY, DERRY, CATHEDRAL OF ST EUGENE (RC)
Date: 1853-1873
Nature: FS laid Aug 1851 but not begun to designs of JJM, who had taken over commission by 1853. Contractor: Robert Maxwell. Supervision by Charles Whelan. Cost: £28,000. Pulpit & font by Earley & Powell.
Refs: APSD, L, ?; B 9, 9 Aug 1851, 502; 11, 2 Apr 1853, 215; DB 4, 15 Apr 1862, 89; IB 15, 1,15 Feb 1873, 36(illus.),47(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 42-3

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, CATHEDRAL PLACE, CATHEDRAL OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1853-59
Nature: JJM appointed architect 1853 after death of Pugin in 1852. Beardwood appointed contractor. Consecrated 22 Aug 1855. Lady Chapel to designs by 'late Mr Pugin' dedicated 1859.
Refs: B 11, 30 Jul 1853, 484; 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280; 17, 1 Jan 1859, 15; St Mary's Cathedral, Killarney (pamphlet, 1973).

Building: CO. LOUTH, DUNDALK, RODEN PLACE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC PRO-CATHEDRAL)
Date: 1853ca
Nature: Altar, reredos, sedilia and monument to Dr Coyne. E window being made by Hardman, Birmingham.
Refs: B 11, 9 Apr 1853, 236; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 45.

Building: CO. TYRONE, COOKSTOWN, CHAPEL STREET, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, LISSAN LOWER)
Date: 1854-1860
Nature: Decorated Gothic. Estimated cost £5,000. FS laid Whit Monday 1855. Cons. 3 Jun 1860. Contractor: Johnson & Charles. Interior carvings: Purdy & Outhwaite, Dublin. High altar: Lane, Birmingham & Dublin. Stained glass in E. window: Hardman & Co, Birmingham. Chancel railing: Riddell & Co., Belfast.
Refs: B 12, 10 Jun 1854, 305; 13, 7 Jul 1855, 323; 18, 2 Jun,14 Jul 1860, 347,447; DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 294(illus.); 36, 15 Aug 1894, 187(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 45-6

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CATHEDRAL ROAD, CATHEDRAL OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1854-1873
Nature: Completion of building begun by Thomas Duff. Thomas Byrne, Belfast, wins tender for roofing &c.(£9,896) Spires completed to his design after his death.
Refs: B 9, 21 Jun 1851, 393; 12, 7 Jan,18 Nov 1854, 6-7,594; 14, 17 May 1856, 278; 18, ? ? 1860, 558; 20, 20 Sep 1862, 685; 31, 16 Aug,6 Sep 1873, 652,702; DB 1, 1 Aug,1 Sep,1 Oct 1859, 103,118,133; 4, 15 Jul,1 Aug 1862, 175,198; 5, 1,15 Apr 1863, 63(illus.),65; IB 15, 1 Sep 1873, 230; 16, 15 Sep 1874, 312(illus.); 18, 1 May 1870, 133; 46, 30 Jul 1904, ?; Jubilee No. 1909, 10(illus.); Irish Times, 24 May 1859;    Architect 10, ? ? 1873, 95; RHA 1862, no. 322; Guide to St Patrick's Cathdral, Armagh (1904), 64; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 17(illus.),39-42(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013),  110.


Building: CO. LAOIS, BALLINAKILL, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1854ca
Nature: Addition of tower & spire. Early English.
Refs: B 12, 10 Jun 1854, 305; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 47

Building: CO. DUBLIN, ROLESTOWN (SWORDS), CHURCH OF ST BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1854ca
Nature: Early Pointed Gothic. Builder: Mssrs. Doolin.
Refs: B 12, 6 May 1854, 237; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 46-7

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, MOYDERWELL, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1855
Nature: To be built on side of road to Ardfert, overlooking Tralee Bay. 2 quadrangles, one containing convent & school, the other church and house of mercy. Geometric Decorated Gothic. Local limestone.
Refs: B 13, 14 Apr 1855, 178

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CONVENT AVENUE (FAIRVIEW), PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1855
Nature: Small chapel with cloisters and sacristy to be built in Decorated Gothic style.
Refs: B 13, 10 Nov 1855, 542; DB 5, 1 Feb 1863,

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TIPPERARY, ST MICHAEL STREET, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1855-1861
Nature: New church in Early English style for Rev. James Howley, PP. Contractor: Mssrs. Doolin, Dublin. Also Hurley? Estimated cost: £7,000. Consecrated Nov? 1861. High altar by Mssrs Hardman
Refs: B 13, 18 Aug,10 Nov 1855, 395,542; 14, 25 Oct 1856, 584; 16, 28 Aug 1858, 890; 18, 27 Oct 1860, 687; 19, 30 Nov 1861, 823; DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 147; 2, 1 May 1860, 252; 3, 15 Nov,1 Dec 1861, 689,698; 4, 15 Feb 1862, 45-6;

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINA, CATHEDRAL OF ST MUIREDACH (RC)
Date: 1855-58
Nature: Tower & spire. Builder: Canning.
Refs: B 12, 11 Mar 1854, 133; 13, 14 Apr 1855, 177; DB 1, Feb 1859, 22; 2, 1 Aug 1860, 313; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 46

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CRUMLIN ROAD, CONVENT OF MERCY
Date: 1855-58
Nature: New convent, schools and orphanage, in Decorated Gothic style. To consist of 2 cloistered quadrangles.. Red and black brick with Scotch stone dressings. Site attached to Catholic seminary purchased 1852. Started Apr n1855. S wing housing nuns and schools finished first. Orphanage completed Apr 1858. Cloisters finished by end of 1858. Contractor: Thomas Byrne, Belfast & Armagh.
Refs: B 10, 21 Feb 1852, 123; 13, 14 Apr 1855, 177; 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 19 (no. 34, illus.)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, RATHDRUM, CHURCH OF SS MARY & MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1856-1860
Nature: Transitional Gothic. For PP, Father Galvin, made possible by bequest from his predecessor, Father Kenna. FS laid 3 Jun 1856; ded. by Cardinal Cullen 22 Jul 1860. Cost: £6,000. Clerk of Works: Mr Crimean.   (Irish Times, 7 Nov 1881, 5, states that church was designed by John Bourke.)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2, also Registrum Archdioc. Dub., MS p7/2, p.135; B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103;  IB 11, 1 May 1869, 111; Repertorium Novum (1961-2), 191-6; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 47

Building: CO. WATERFORD, TRAMORE, CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS (RC)
Date: 1856-1862
Nature: Decorated Gothic. Started 14 Sep 1856. Consecrated 13 Jul 1862.
Refs: RHA 1859, no. 353; DB 1, 1 Jun 1859, 70; 2, 1 Oct 1860, 349(illus.); 3, 15 Jun 1861, 547; 4, 1 Aug 1862, 199; B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; 18, 2 Jun 1860, 347; 20, 21 Jun 1862, 439; P.M. Egan, History, guide and directory of county and city of Waterford [1895], 610; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 47,53(illus.)

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1857-1860
Nature: New church, convent & schools in Decorated Gothic style. Church to consist of nave, sanctuary, side aisles with tower at W end.  Building work in progress by Dec 1858.  Contractor: Bartholomew Sweeny, Tralee. East window completed 1862 by Mssrs. O'Connor.
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280;  Building News, 15 May 1857, 483 (cited by Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 48;  Cork Examiner, 3 Dec 1858 (information from Roger Herlihy, Cork, Mar 2011);  DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 147; 2, 1 Jun 1860, 265; 4, 15 Oct 1862, 269; RHA 1860, no. 400.

Building: CO. WEXFORD, ENNISCORTHY, CATHEDRAL STREET, CATHEDRAL OF ST AIDAN (RC)
Date: 1857-1860
Nature: High altar, reredos, chancel screen and sanctuary decorations, following plan of A.W.N. Pugin. For Dr Thomas Furlong, Bishop of Ferns. Cathedral dedicated 10 May 1860.
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280; IB 2, 1 Jun 1860, 282; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 47

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BLESSINGTON, CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF MERCY (RC)
Date: 1857-1861
Nature: New small, plain Gothic church. FS laid 24 May 1857; walls finished by Mar 1858; dedicated in autumn of 1861. Contractor: Robert Farrell, Lombard Street. Expenditure by 1859 £2,600.
Refs: B 16, 27 Mar,18 Dec 1858, 214,857; DB 1, 1 Jan 1859, 9; 3,15 Sep 1861, 637; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 11(illus.),48

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Proposed addition of chancel with side aisles terminating in chapels, choir for nuns of adjoining Presentation convent on N side, sacristy on S side; new clerestory, tower and spire. Decorated Gothic. Completely new church built instead.
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 48 (citing Building News, 15 May 1857, 483).

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, CLIFTON STREET, CONVENT OF MERCY, SCHOOLS & ORPHANAGE
Date: 1857-58
Nature: Decorated Gothic. Contractor: Thomas Byrne, Belfast & Armagh(£10,700). Finished by Sep 1858.
Refs: B 13, 14 Apr 1855, 177; 16, 27 Mar,18 Sep 1858, 214,638; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 45

Building: CO. KILDARE, CELBRIDGE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1857-59
Nature: Early Pointed. First sod cut 4 Mar 1857. FS laid 15 Mar 1857. First mass said 19 Dec 1858. Dedicated 19 Jun 1859.(These dates conflict with Clonliffe Archive MS p1/2 which gives dates of 15 Nov 1857 for foundation and 19 Jun 1860 for dedication.) Clerestory level reached by Mar 1858. Contractor: Robert Farrell (£3,000). Stained glass by Hardman, Birmingham, and Wailes, Newcastle. Cost including fittings £4,869.17s.4d. Pulpit and 'baptistry', £220.
Refs: Information from Father Boyle's accounts, 1855-1868, in Clonliffe College Archive, MS p254/1; B 15, 28 Mar 1857, 179; 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; DB 1, 1 Jul 1859, 80; Repertorium Novum (1959-60), 395-7; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 48

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AUNGIER STREET, CARMELITE CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1858
Nature: N aisle in Italian Romanesque style resembling San Miniato, Florence. 6 bays built 1857, remaining 2 now to be added. Contractor: Robert Farrell.
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, AUNGIER STREET, CARMELITE PRIORY
Date: 1858
Nature: Large addition. Contractor: John Rooney., Dublin
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280

Building: CO. WEXFORD, BELLEVUE (BALLYHOGUE)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: Private chapel, for Anthony Cliffe. Contractor: Robert Sinnott, Wexford. (Sometimes attributed to A.W.N. Pugin - e.g. in Wexford Independent, 31 Aug 1861 ;  Pugin died in 1854, but chapel commission could possibly have been inherited by McCarthy or Edward Welby Pugin.)
Refs: Phoebe Stanton, Pugin (1971), 209;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 42(illus.)

Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, BRIDE STREET, CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: Work on twin churches of Wexford designed by Richard Pierce, taken over by JJM after Pierce's death. Dedicated, Sep 1859. Consecrated 9 Sep 1860.
Refs: B 16, 27 Mar 1858, 214; 18, 29 Sep,13 Oct 1860, 628,662; 19, DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352; Wexford Independent, 11 Sep 1859, 12 Sep 1860 (information kindly supplied by Conor O'Brien, Annacurra, Co. Wicklow) Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 51

Building: CO. WEXFORD, WEXFORD, ROWE STREET, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1858-1860
Nature: Work on twin churches of Wexford designed by Richard Pierce, taken over by JJM after Pierce's death. Dedicated Oct? 1858. Contractor: Willis. Superintendent of Works: Sinnott. Stained glass: Hardman. Altars: Lane. Wall decorations: Earley. Cost about £10,000.
Refs: Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 51

Building: CO. CLARE, KILRUSH, CHURCH OF ST SENAN (RC)
Date: 1858-1861
Nature: Improvements, including porch, cut-stone portico, tower and spire (completed 1858).

Refs: The Protestant Watchman and Lurgan Gazette, 20 Jul 1861;  Ignatius Murphy, The Diocese of Killaloe 1850-1904 (Blackrock: Four Courts Press, 1995), 437.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, THOMASTOWN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1858-1862
Nature: 13th century French Gothic. Contractor: Ryan & Son, Limerick.
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665; DB 2, 1 Dec 1860, 380; 4, 1 May 1862, 112; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 27(illus.),48,49(illus.)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, PORTLAW, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1858-59
Nature: New very plain Early English church.. FS laid 28 Mar 1858; roofed in May 1859. Contractor: Richard Pierce, Wexford. Expenditure about £2,500.
Refs: B 16, 24 Apr 1858, 280;  DB 1, 1 May 1859, 60; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 50; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 491

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, KILLENAULE, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1858ca
Nature: New church in Decorated Gothic style. Local limestone. 7-light E window with elaborate tracery and 5-light W window over door, 3-light windows at N & S ends of aisles. . . Contractor: Wallace & Sons, Limerick.
Refs: B 16, 2 Oct 1858, 665; 17, 26 Nov 1859, 782; DB 3, 15 Mar 1861, 451(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 49(illus.),50

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINA, CONVENT
Date: 1859
Nature: New.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Feb 1859, 22

Building: CO. WATERFORD, NIRE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1859
Nature: New church 'of small dimensions' in Early English style. Foundation stone laid 7 Jul 1859.
Refs: Cork Examiner, 25 Jul 1859; DB 1, 1 Oct 1859, 133; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 54

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY
Date: 1859
Nature: New monumental chapel in Gothic style.
Refs: B 17, 1 Jan 1859, 15

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, ENNIS MEMORIAL
Date: 1859
Nature: Irish cross in memory of Rev. Mr Ennis.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Nov 1859, 147

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION SQUARE, NO. 088
Date: 1859
Nature: Renovations, including timber oriel windows on 1st floor next to National Gallery. Builder: R. Farrell. Cost about £800. For Dr Robert D. Lyons.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 115; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 52

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, CONVENT & SCHOOLS
Date: 1859-1860
Nature: Church, convent & schools. Decorated.
Refs: B 17, 17 Sep 1859, 616; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 54

Building: CO. DOWN, MAYOBRIDGE, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1859-1862
Nature: New church, replacing one of 1806 (which became church hall). Early English. FS laid 15 Aug 1859. Dedicated 12 Sep (or Oct?) 1862. Clerk of Works: John Murray, Dundalk. Builder: McGaughy, Armagh. Cost about £4,000.
Refs: B 17, 17 Sep 1859, 616-7; DB 1, 1 Oct 1859, 133; 4, 1 Sep 1862, 224; E. Campbell, Ecclesiastical Buildings in the Diocese of Dromore (1940), 7; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 52; P.J. Geraghty, A Heritage in Stone: the life and career of architect John Murray (1994), 32-33

Building: CO. KILKENNY, KILKENNY, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH OF THE PRIORY OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC)
Date: 1859-1862
Nature: Restoration.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Apr 1859, 41; B 17, 16 Apr 1859, 272(or 273); APSD, K, 20; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 51; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 601

Building: CO. KILDARE, TAGHADOE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1859-1863
Nature: Early English. For (or built with money left by?) John Dillon of Carton, steward to the Duke of Leinster. Contractor: Beardwood. Cost under £2,000.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p428; DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 103; 2, 1 Jul,1 Nov 1860, 301,363; B 18, 1 Dec 1860, 771; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 51

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT ARGUS, PASSIONIST MONASTERY
Date: 1859-1863
Nature: North Italian Romanesque. FS laid June 1859. Opened 5 Sep 1863. Contractor: Meade(£12,300).
Refs: DB 1, 1 Mar,1 Jun 1859, 33,71; B 17, 2 Jul 1859, 443-4; Repertorium Novum (1959-60), 398-9; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 50-51

Building: CO. LONGFORD, CASTLE FORBES
Date: 1859;1880?
Nature: Stables, 1859 (Builder: R. Farrell, £4,000), and work on house (date uncertain). For 7th Earl of Granard.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 115; IB 22, 15 Mar,15 Nov 1880, 83,320-21(illus.)B 17, 17 Sep 1859, 616; RHA 1880, no. 492; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 52; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 190-191

Building: CO. KILKENNY, CASTLECOMER, CONVENT
Date: 1860
Nature: Adds.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363

Building: CO. LIMERICK, LIMERICK, BAKER'S PLACE, CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR (RC, DOMINICAN)
Date: 1860
Nature: Repairs & alts. Contractor: John Ryan.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLORGLIN, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: Early English & Decorated. Spire never built.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 301; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 56

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHURCH OF ST COCA (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: New Gothic church with tower. Contractors: Campbell & Dunn (£6,175). Consecrated: Sep 1867.
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.67); DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 363; 3, 1 Jan,15 Mar 1861, 390,460; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 56;  John McEvoy, ed., The Churches of Kildare and Leighlin 2000 AD (Strasbourg: Editions du Signe, 2000), 122(illus.).

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, JESUIT COLLEGE
Date: 1860
Nature: College, church and clergy house to be built to designs of JJM (but built instead to design of S.U. Roberts).
Refs: DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363 (source cited by Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55-56)

Building: CO. GALWAY, GALWAY, SEA ROAD, CHURCH OF ST IGNATIUS (RC, JESUIT)
Date: 1860
Nature: Church, schools and clergy house to be built to designs by JJM (but built instead to design of S.U. Roberts).
Refs: DB 2, 1 Nov 1860, 363 (source cited by Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55-56)

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: Addition of polygonal chancel. New high altar by Mssrs. Farrell, stained glass windows. Redecoration by Barff & Co. Opened Oct 1860.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Oct,1 Nov 1860, 352,363; B 18, 27 Oct 1860, 688; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 127;  t;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 471-2.

Building: CO. KERRY, FIERIES, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860
Nature: To be erected by JJM & O'Connell.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 301; B 18, 14 Jul 1860, 447; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, STATION ROAD, PRO-CATHEDRAL OF SS. PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1860-61
Nature: High altar, altar of the Sacred Heart and altar of Blessed Virgin erected to designs of JJM. Work executed by Hardman & Co, represented by Earley & Powell. Statues and sculpted groups designed by Powell. (Spire also attributed to McCarthy by Williams.)
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 240; 3, 15 Jul 1861, 577; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60;  J. Williams, Companion guide to Architecture in Ireland 1837-1921 (1994), 51.

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, KEADUE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC, KILRONAN PARISH)
Date: 1860-62;1873?
Nature: New church in Early Decorated Gothic style. By McCarthy & O'Connell. Site given by E.K. Tenison of Kilronan Castle. FS laid 15 Aug 1860. Work under way 1862 (but not completed?) Contractor: Barker.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 330; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86; IB 15, 15 Feb 1873 (advertisement for tenders); James MacNamee, History of the Diocese of Ardach (1954), ?; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 55.

Building: CO. KILDARE, BALLYTORE, CHURCH OF SS MARY & LAURENCE (RC)
Date: 1860-63
Nature: New Romanesque church by JJM & O'Connell. FS laid by Archbishop Cullen, 5 Aug. 1860. First mass said 1 Jan 1863.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Aug,1 Sep 1860, 317,330; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 31(illus.)55,back cover(illus.)

Building: CO. WATERFORD, CLONEA (DUNGARVAN), CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860-64
Nature: Early Decorated Gothic. FS laid 10 Jun 1860. Dedicated Oct? 1864; Contractor: R. Pierce (£6,000). Tower & spire not built.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Apr,1 Jul 1860, 239,301; 3, 15 May 1861, 508; 5, 15 May 1863, 89;  B 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267; 22, 5 Nov 1864, 815;  RHA 1861, no. 577;  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 11(illus.),53(illus.),54.

Building: CO. CLARE, KILRUSH, CONVENT OF MERCY & SCHOOLS
Date: 1860-64
Nature: Built on site presented by Col. Vandeleur. Early English, in form of quadrangle, with convent on W side, schools & chapel on E side, House of Mercy & offices on N & W sides. Not started until 1862.
Refs: RHA 1862, no. 445; 1869, no. 225; DB 2, 1 Apr 1860, 239; 4, 15 Feb,15 Jul 1862, 45,175; B 12, 15 Jul 1854, 378; 18, 28 Apr 1860, 267; (?also DB 7, 1 Jul 1865, 161); Exhibition of Manufactures, Machinery and Fine Arts, Dublin, 1864, no. 328; Dublin International Exhibition of Art and Manufactures, 1865, no. 169; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 46

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MOATE, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC, CARMELITE)
Date: 1860ca-1863
Nature: Addition of new front, tower, spire and aisles to existing structure. Early English. Dedicated 14 Dec 1862.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 388(illus.); 4, 1 Oct 1862, 254; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 30(illus.),56; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 395-6

Building: CO. KERRY, LIXNAW, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1861
Nature: Romanesque. FS laid 29 Sep 1861. Contractor: Beardwood (replacing church of 1805 which had 'a painting of the crucifixion over the altar, executed in a superior style by an Italian artist' (Lewis))
Refs: DB 1, 1 Sep 1859, 115; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86; 3, 15 Sep 1861, 637; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86; B 19, 9 Feb 1861, 97; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 27(illus.),32(illus.),52

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, MONAGHAN, CATHEDRAL OF ST MACARTAN (RC)
Date: 1861-1868
Nature: New 14th century Gothic cathedral for Charles McNally, Bishop of Clogher. FS laid 18 Jun 1861.  Tenders invited, Jul 1861. Still building in 1868. Clerk of Works: John Farrell. Completed by William Hague after death of McCarthy in 1882 and dedicated 1892.
Refs: Undated elevation and section with details of the spire and plan of engineering works carried out during excavation and foundation laying, 2 Jul 1861, in PRONI, CR2/6/D/1 and  DIORC/1/7/22 (see PRONI e-catalogue);  RHA 1863, no. 377; 1877, no. 330; Exhibition of Manufactures, Machinery and Fine Arts, Dublin, 1864, no. 298; Dublin International Exhibition of Art and Manufactures, 1865, no. 142; DB 3, 1 May,1,15 Jun,1 Jul 1861, 501,531,546,562; 4, 1 Aug 1862, 199; 7, 15 Jun 1865, 147;  Freeman's Journal, 8,10 Jul 1861;  B 19, 20 Jul 1861, 495; 26, 12 Sep 1868, 675(illus.); 62, 21 May 1892, 406; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 24(illus.),57,59(illus.);  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 462-4.

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1861-62
Nature: Infirmary to N of main quadrangle. Plain Gothic. Contractors: Carolin & Kerr. Cost: £15,000. Contractor: George Carolin.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Aug 1861, 598; 4, 15 Feb 1862, 44; 32nd Annual Report of Commissioners of Public Works (Ireland) (1863), 9; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60

Building: CO. LONGFORD, NEWTOWNFORBES, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1861-64
Nature: New church, consisting of nave, chancel and aisles, with Lady Chapel on S side of chancel and sacristy on N side. For Earl of Granard. FS laid 1 or 9 May 1861. Contractor: Gardiner. Opened 4 Dec 1864.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86;  Freeman's Journal, 6 Dec 1864 (description);  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 56-57; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 436-7; James MacNamee, History of the Diocese of Ardagh, ?

Building: CO. LIMERICK, NEWCASTLE WEST, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1861p
Nature: Remodelling and enlargement of church of 1828 for Dr Richard O'Brien, PP stated to be by J.J.McC in |North Munster Antiquarian Journal|.. New Gothic façade with rose window. Addition of sanctuary and Lady Chapel. FS laid 27 Aug 1861 by Earl of Devon. Builder: Scanlan, Limerick. Dr O'Brien succeeded Dr Brahan on his death in 1861, and it was he who conceived the idea of extending and beautifying the church. It was during this time that the Gothic style façade with its impressive rose window was erected. A new sanctuary and Lady Chapel were also added.
Refs: DB 3, 15 Sep 1861, 637; North Munster Antiquarian Journal (1957), 1;

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1862
Nature: Addition of tower (& canopied doorway?)
Refs: DB 4, 15 Aug 1862, 214; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 62

Building: CO. KERRY, GLENFLESK, CHURCH OF ST AGATHA (RC)
Date: 1862
Nature: Decorated. FS laid late 1861 or early 1862. Contractor: George McDonnell.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Feb,1 Apr 1862, 44,85 (earlier ref. may not be to this church); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 62

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CARRICKMACROSS, O'NEILL STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOSEPH (RC)
Date: 1862
Nature: New church in Decorated Gothic style.   Tenders invited May 1861. FS laid Jul 1861. Clerk of Works: George Burnett. Still unfinished at JJM's death. Completed by C.J. McCarthy. Opened 22 Apr 1866. For Rev. James Joseph McMahon, PP.
Refs: RHA 1861, no. 614; DB 3, 1,15 May,1 Aug 1861, 501,508,591; 4, 15 Feb 1862, 44-5;  Freeman's Journal,13 May 1861;  Dundalk Democrat, 28 Apr 1866; IB 30, 15 Mar 1888, 69(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 57-58;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 217-18.
 

Building: CO. KERRY, DINGLE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1862
Nature: With O'Connell. Early Pointed. £3,000 contributed by Miss Hussey. FS laid St Patrick's Day, 1862. Original contractors: Aitken, Crosbie & D. Cotter.
Refs: DB 2, 1 Jul 1860, 301; 3, 1 Jun 1861, 530; 4, 1 Apr 1862, 85; 4, 1 Apr 1863, 85; B 18, 14 Jul 1860, 447; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 54

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONLIFFE, CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY (PROPOSED)
Date: 1862
Nature: Ruskinian Gothic. FS laid 20 Jul 1862, tenders invited May 1864, but building never erected. Estimated cost: £24,170.
Refs: Hand-tinted lithograph of design by J.J. McCarthy in IAA, Ashlin & Coleman Collection, 76/1.234; IAA, PKS A03 (Jun 1864, p.103v), L1 (p.637,639-640,642,649,658,661-2,680 &c.); RHA 1864, no. 464; Exhibition of Manufactures, Machinery and Fine Arts, Dublin, 1864, no. 304; Dublin International Exhibition of Art and Manufactures, 1865, no. 158; B 20, 26 Jul,4 Oct 1862, 539,723; 22, 20 Aug 1864, 615-617(illus.); DB 4, 1 Mar,1 Aug 1862, 4,194(illus.); 5, 15 Apr 1863, 69; 7, 15 Jun 1865, 147;  Freeman's Journal, 3 May 1864;  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 61(illus.),62

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRACE PARK ROAD, HIGH PARK CONVENT (OUR LADY OF REFUGE)
Date: 1862
Nature: New chapel (unexecuted?). For Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Oct 1862, 268

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, CLOGHEEN, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1862-64
Nature: Early English, interior length 110ft. 5 Gothic arches separate nave and side aisle. Built of local limestone. Nearing completion in Jan 1864. Contractor: Ryan & Son, Waterford & Limerick.
Refs: DB 6, 1 Jan 1864, 8; B 22, ? ? 1864, 729; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 62

Building: CO. KERRY, TRALEE, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1862a
Nature: McEnery chantry. Contr: Hardman, Dublin.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Apr 1862, 86

Building: CO. CORK, MALLOW, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1863
Nature: Monument to Very Rev Justin McCarthy. Life-size alabaster effigy. Executed by Mssrs. Hardman, Dublin for £165.
Refs: B 22, 30 Jan 1864, 80(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 24(illus.),62

Building: CO. LOUTH, DROGHEDA, WEST STREET, CHURCH OF ST PETER (RC, OLD)
Date: 1863-64
Nature: Alts. & adds. including new chancel, side chapels & sacristy. Contractor: A. & N. Hammond, 28 Amiens St.
Refs: DB 5, 15 Apr,15 Jul 1863, 69,120; 6, 1 Mar 1864, 35

Building: CO. DUBLIN, TALLAGHT, ST MARY'S PRIORY (DOMINICAN)
Date: 1863-64
Nature: West wing. For Father Thomas Burke.
Refs: IAA, PKS B02/26, A03 (Dec 1863, p.74v); DB 5, 1 Dec 1863, 197; 26, 1 Aug 1884, 226 &/or 232(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 62

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HOWTH ROAD (RAHENY), CHURCH OF ST ASSAM (RC)
Date: 1863-65
Nature: Cost £3,500.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILKEA, CHURCH (RC, PROPOSED)
Date: 1864
Nature: Tenders sought for proposed new church (not executed).
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.589,591,593,598-9,601 &c)

Building: CO. LOUTH, ARDEE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1864-1866
Nature: Extension in 15th c. Gothic idiom (new chancel and side chapels) intended as memorial to Canon Levins, PP (d.1863). Glass &c. by Earley & Powells, Dublin. Pulpit by Joseph Digges, Lincoln Pl, Dublin. Church rededicated 3 Jun 1866.
Refs: B 21, 20 Jun 1863, 449; Dundalk Democrat, 11 Jun 1864 (tender for cut stone); DB 8, 15 Jun 1866, 160-1; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 63; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 118.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, THURLES, CATHEDRAL STREET, CATHEDRAL OF THE ASSUMPTION (RC)
Date: 1865-1872
Nature: New cathedral For Patrick Leahy, Archbishop of Cashel. Cost: £45,000.
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142; IAA, PKS L1 (p.837-840); RHA 1876, no. 277; IB 19, 1 Sep 1877, 254 (illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 63,65(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY, O'CONNELL MEMORIAL
Date: 1865a
Nature: JJM prepares designs for same for O'Connell Committee but 'Cemeteries Committee were not adhering to that plan'.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 20 Apr 1865.

Building: CO. OFFALY, FRANKFORD, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1866-67
Nature: New church. Tenders sought, Feb 1866. FS laid 18 Apr 1866. Dedicated 1867.
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.936,947-9); Rev. J. Brady, Hisotry of the Parishes of the Diocese of Meath, 346

Building: CO. LIMERICK, RATHKEALE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1866-73;1881
Nature: French Gothic, cruciform. For Very Rev. James O'Shea. Tenders invited May 1866. Consecrated 17 Aug 1873. Contractor: Ryan & Son, Waterford & Limerick. Tower & spire completed 1881. Contractor: M. Walsh, Foynes, followed by Patrick Scanlon. Cost of tower & spire £2,300.
Refs: RHA 1866, no. 526; M, Lenihan, History of Limerick (1866), 737; DB 8, 1 May,15 Nov 1866, 119,270; IB 10, 15 Sep 1868, 233; 23, 15 Apr 1881, 126; IB Jubilee No. (1909), 68(illus.); General Advertiser, 5 May 1866; B 24, 2 Jun 1866, 413; Building News 25, 29 Aug 1873, 238; Architect 10, 30 Aug 1873, 111; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 63

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOUNT ARGUS, CHURCH OF ST PAUL OF THE CROSS (RC, PASSIONIST)
Date: 1866;1873-1878
Nature: Italian Romanesque. FS laid 19 Jun 1866. Work started 1873. Opened 28 Apr 1878. Built by direct labour. All sculpturae and painting by Earley & Powell.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 19, 1 Oct 1877, 291; 20, 1 May 1878, 132; Capuchin Annual 16 (1947), 175(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 50-51,65(illus.)

Building: CO. CORK, COBH, CATHEDRAL OF ST COLMAN (RC)
Date: 1867
Nature: Pugin & Ashlin, Goldie and JJM initially invited to participate in limited competition, but Goldie & JJM found conditions unsatisfactory.
Refs: B 24, 12,26 Oct 1867, 753,786; IB 67, 1 Nov 1867, 282-3.

Building: CO. WICKLOW, ROUNDWOOD, CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE O'TOOLE (RC)
Date: 1867-1871
Nature: New Gothic-style church.  FS laid 3 Jun 1867. Dedicated 7 Aug 1871 by Cardinal Cullen. Contractor: Bryan O'Connor. Cost (in 1869) £6,780. Badly damaged in storm of March 1903)
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 13, 15 Aug 1871, 217.

Building: CO. KILDARE, NEWBRIDGE, DOMINICAN COLLEGE OF ST THOMAS
Date: 1867ca-70
Nature: Chapel, begun about 1867 and solemnly blessed on 7 Aug 1870. Early Gothic. For Domincan Fathers.
Refs: IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 200; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977),

Building: CO. KERRY, KILLARNEY, FAIR HILL, CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY (RC, FRANCISCAN)
Date: 1868
Nature: FS laid 17 Mar 1864; consecrated early 1868. Style similar to Muckross Abbey.
Refs: B 26, 7 Mar 1868, 180

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BOHERNABREENA, CHURCH OF ST ANNE (RC)
Date: 1868-1870
Nature: 'French Gothic of the 13th century'. Dedicated Aug 1870.
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; IB 12, 15 Aug 1870, 200; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 64

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST MARY OF THE ANGELS (RC, CAPUCHIN)
Date: 1868-1881
Nature: 14th century Gothic. FS laid 12 Jun 1868; dedicated 1881. Builder: Hammond of Drogheda. Clerk of Works: C. Dromgoole.
Refs: IB 10, 15 Jun 1868, 157; 14, 15 Mar 1872, 89; 52, 5 Mar 1910, 138(illus.); B 30, 15 Jun 1872, 466-7(illus); 31, 5 Apr 1873, 271; Architect 24, 27 Nov 1880, 345; Capuchin Annual 17 (1946-47)., 52; RHA 1872, no. 361; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 63-64;  t;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 244-5.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, FOYNES, CHURCH OF ST SENANUS (RC)
Date: 1868ca
Nature: New church. Contractor: Ryan & Son, Limerick. Only partly built (nave, S aisle & S porch)..
Refs: IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc. 2006/142; RHA 1868, no. 377; IB 10, 15 Aug 1868, 197; B 29, 28 Jan 1871, 66(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 34(illus.),64

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, ABBEY STREET, CHURCH OF ST CRONAN (RC)
Date: 1869
Nature: Altars consecrated. Executed by Earley & Powell, Dublin, from designs by JJM.
Refs: B 27, 9 Oct 1869, 812

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCULLEN, CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART & ST BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1869-1872
Nature: New church, for Rev. M.P. Langan, CC. Tenders invited Feb 1869. FS laid 5 Aug 1869 by Cardinal Cullen, to whom JJM was presented. Builder: John Wrafter. Tower and spire never built. Opened Sep 1872. £7,000. (BVM chapel added for £1,300. High altar consecrated 27 Sep 1885).
Refs: Clonliffe College Archive, MS p1/2; Freeman's Journal, 10,15,17,19,22 Feb 1869; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 23(illus.),33(illus.),59(illus.),64

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUN LAOGHAIRE, GEORGE'S STREET LOWER, CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL (RC)
Date: 1869;1871-72
Nature: Enlargement. New side aisles (£7,000), 1869 (tenders invited Jan-Feb 1869); nave, clerestories, facade & roof, 1871-72 (Contractor: Michael Meade). Transept, chancel, chancel apse carried out 1893-95 under direction of J.L. Robinson, 'adhering in the main' to JJM's plans' (Contractor: Kiernan, Talbot Street).
Refs: Clonliffe, College Archive, MS p23/9; Irish Times, 20 Jan 1869;  Freeman's Journal, 8 Feb 1869; RHA 1873, no. 323; IB 15, 1 Apr 1873, 95; 37, 15 Jan 1895, 13; N. Donnelly, Short Histories of Dublin Parishes, I, 162 (or 168?); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 67

Building: CO. LIMERICK, CAHERMOYLE (OR CAHIRMOYLE) HOUSE
Date: 1870
Nature: New house in North Italian style, for Edward W. O'Brien. (Later became an Oblate Novitiate.)
Refs: Designs in IAA, W.H. Byrne & Son drawings collection, Acc.2006/142; RHA 1876, nos. 265,274; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 23(illus.),65(illus.),66,68(illus.); Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 435

Building: CO. TYRONE, DUNGANNON, KILLYMAN ROAD, CHURCH OF ST PATRICK (RC)
Date: 1870ca-1876
Nature: 'French Gothic of the 13th century'. Tenders invited, 1867. Dedicated (interior still unfinished) on Trinity Sunday 1876. Contractor: Thomas Byrne, Belfast.
Refs: RHA 1870, no. 338; IB 9, 15 Jun 1867, 157; B 29, 4 Mar 1871, 166(illus.); 34, 19 Aug 1876, 819; RHA 1870, no. 338; B 29, 4 Mar 1871, 166-7; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 23(illus.),53(illus.),64-66

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, LORETO CONVENT
Date: 1871
Nature: Works at same. Contractor: A. & N. Hammond.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/24

Building: CO. DUBLIN, RATHFARNHAM, GRANGE ROAD, LORETO ABBEY
Date: 1872
Nature: Works. Contractor: Gahan & Son.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/50

Building: CO. LIMERICK, BALLINGARRY, CHURCH OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION (RC)
Date: 1872-1879
Nature: FS laid 1872. Consecrated 7 Sep 1879. Builder: Michael Walsh, Foynes.
Refs: RHA 1876, no. 264; B 37, 27 Sep 1879, 1090; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 27(illus.),66

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GLASNEVIN, PROSPECT CEMETERY
Date: 1872-79
Nature: Entrances, offices, Romanesque mortuary chapel. Contractor: William Murphy, Dame St. Chapel carvingl: James Pearse, Gt Brunswick St. Altar: P. Neal, Gt Brunswick St. Ironwork: Alfred Webb, Belfast. Stained glass: Clayton and Bell, London. Communion rail:J. McLoughlin, Cuffe St. Chapel ded. Aug 1879. £8000ca
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/31, B06/43; IB 18, 15 Dec 1876, 353; 21, 1 Sep 1879, 274; B 37, 27 Sep 1879, 1087; Guide to Glasnevin Cetery (1879), 66; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 67

Building: CO. WATERFORD, WATERFORD, PARNELL STREET, CHURCH OF ST JOHN (RC)
Date: 1873
Nature: Tabernacle and canopy, executed by P.J. Walsh & Sons, Dublin.
Refs: Freeman's Journal, 27 May 1873.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONLIFFE ROAD, HOLY CROSS COLLEGE, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1873-1876
Nature: Begun 1873; dedicated 14 Sep 1876. Front modelled on S Francesca Romana, Rome, and interior on S Agata dei Goti, Rome. Direct labour. C of W: Bryan O'Connor. Cost £23,775. Carved arms between divisions of organ by J.R. Boyle, jr., Gloucester St Upr. Painting: Gagliardi. Plasterer: James Hogan & Sons
Refs: IAA, PKS B07/33;  Freeman's Journal, 6 Nov 11875;  IB 18, 15 Sep 1876, 276; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 66-67

Building: CO. KILKENNY, UPPERCOURT (FRESHFORD), SCHOOLS (PROPOSED)
Date: 1875
Nature: Proposed schools.
Refs: Estimate, Oct 1875, in IAA, Acc. 96/128/2 (photocopy in IAA RP.D.88)

Building: CO. KILKENNY, UPPERCOURT (FRESHFORD)
Date: 1875
Nature: Alts. and adds. and proposed gate lodges, for Thomas Eyre.
Refs: Estimates, Sep,Oct 1875, in IAA, Acc. 96/128/1,2 (photocopies in RP.D.88,96)

Building: CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, ST PATRICK'S COLLEGE
Date: 1875-1880
Nature: Chapel. JJM appointed architect, 1875. Tenders invited, Jul 1875.  FS laid by Archbishop of Armagh, 11 Oct 1875. Shell only completed at time of JJM's death. Contractors: Carolin & Kerr. Cost by 1880 £26,242.0s.11d. Completed by William Hague. Tower and spire finished to JMM's design, under supervision of T.F. McNamara, 1902. Cross on spire des. by JJM & exec. by John Fagan in copper.
Refs: RHA 1876, no. 278; 1879, nos. 311,367,374; Building News 79, 7 Sep 1900, 318; IB 17, 1 Feb 1875, 43; 43, 26 Sep,5 Dec 1901, 873,964; 44, 30 Jan,31 Jul 1902, 1021,1344(illus.);  Freeman's Journal, 23,28 Jul,4 Aug 1875; Tuam Herald, 16 Oct 1875;  Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 60

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, ARA COELI (PRIMATE'S HOUSE)
Date: 1876-77
Nature: Plans supplied by JJM. Contractor: Robert Cullen, Portadown.
Refs: Guide to St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh (1904), ?

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, KILCOMMON, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1876ca
Nature: Action brought by Wm. R. Cussen, contractor, against Rev. Patrick Canty, PP, for not having supplied materials to build chapel to plans by JJM as agreed; plaintiff therefore unable to proceed with work.
Refs: B 18, 15 Feb 1876, 55

Building: CO. KERRY, DINGLE, PRESENTATION CONVENT
Date: 1877
Nature: Superintending architect: C.J. McCarthy. Contractor: Healy Bros, Tralee.
Refs: IB 28, 1 Mar 1886, 66(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 54.

Building: CO. LIMERICK, KILMALLOCK, CHURCH OF SS PETER & PAUL (RC)
Date: 1878-79
Nature: New church. Gothic to harmonize with neighbouring mediaeval priory. Contractor: Walsh, Foynes. Decoration by Eugene Daly, Cork.
Refs: RHA 1878, no. 581; IB 20, 15 Aug 1878, 239(illus.); 43, 7 Nov 1901, 928,930; Stratten's Directory (1892); Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 10(illus.),27(illus.),32(illus.),49(illus.),67; Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983),502

Building: CO. LIMERICK, CROOM HOUSE
Date: 1880
Nature: Alts. & adds. for Henry Lyons, DL. Clerk of Works: P.F. Monahan. Builder: J.S. Ryan & Son, Waterford.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Apr 1880, 101; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 67-68

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BLACKROCK, SION HILL, ST CATHERINE'S DOMINICAN CONVENT
Date: 1880
Nature: Extensive addition just completed. Contractor: Hammond & Co.
Refs: IB 22, 1 Apr 1880, 101

Building: CO. WEXFORD, COURTOWN, CHURCH OF THE STAR OF THE SEA (RC, RIVERCHAPEL PARISH)
Date: 1881-82
Nature: New Gothic church in local brick and granite with bell tower at NW angle.. FS laid 1 May 1881. DedIcated 27 Aug 1882. JJM officially the architect but all detail work was by his son, C.J. McCarthy. Contractor: J.T. Ryan, Waterford & Limerick.
Refs: IB 24, 15 Sep 1882, 275; Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 68;  Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 123(illus.).

Building: CO. WEXFORD, TARA HILL, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1888a
Nature: New school-cum-chapel in parish of Gorey.  Opened 17 Jun 1888 by Bishop James Browne.
Refs: Churches of the Diocese of Ferns (Booklink, 2004), 80(illus.)

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, KEADUE, WATER SUPPLY
Date: 1954
Nature: Pumpling set.
Refs: IB 96, 24 Apr 1954, 418

Building: CO. ROSCOMMON, FRENCH PARK
Date: ?
Nature: Interior remodelling and chapel?
Refs: E.Mc P files cite Knight of Glin's thesis on Irish Palladians as saying interior of French Park was remodelled 'by the architect McCarthy'; D. Griffin thinks that McCarthy would probably also have designed the chapel

Building: CO. KILDARE, KILCOCK, CHRISTIAN BROTHERS SCHOOLS
Date: ?
Nature: 'probably' by JJM.
Refs: Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 56

Building: CO. DUBLIN, BALBRIGGAN, LORETO CONVENT
Date: ?
Nature: Chapel.
Refs: Repertorium Novum (1957-58), 213-4

Author Title Date Details
Mccarthy, James Joseph The Address of the Irish Ecclesiological Society Dublin, 1849. (See Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 9-10.)
Mccarthy, James Joseph 'Ecclesiastical Architecture' 1847 The Nation, Mar,Apr, May 1847 (Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 8, says that McCarthy also reviewed books relating to architecture for this periodical.)
Mccarthy, James Joseph Suggestions on the Arrangement and Characteristics of Parish Churches 1851 Dublin, 1851 (Paper read to Irish Ecclesiological Society, 4 Feb 1851; see Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 9-10.)
Mccarthy, James Joseph 'The restoration of St Patrick's Cathedral' 1863 DB 5, 15 Jan 1863, 4-5. (Letter to editor; correspondence and a further letter from JJM published in DB 5, 1 Feb 1863, 14-16. See Jeanne Sheehy, J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland (UAHS, 1977), 15-18.)
Mccarthy, James Joseph, & Goldie, George 'Cloyne new Roman Catholic Cathedral' 1867 B 25, 12 Oct 1867, 753-4. (Letter to editor.)
Sheehy, Jeanne J.J. McCarthy and the Gothic Revival in Ireland 1977 Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1977.