Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Belfast. Jeremiah McAuley was born in Belfast, where he became a pupil of THOMAS JACKSON. THOMAS JACKSON. (1) He was ordained to the Catholic priesthood on 26 November 1858 and at some point after this was curate at Cushendall, Co. Antrim. He designed several Catholic churches in Cos. Antrim and Down, including St Peter's Catholic pro-cathedral in Derby Street, Belfast. He left Ireland for Salamanca before the completion of the pro-cathedral, which was finished by JOHN O'NEILL  JOHN O'NEILL in 1866. He died on 27 June 1873.(2)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?, and C.E.B. Brett, Historic Buildings…in the Glens of Antrim (UAHS, 1971), 50.

(1) DB 8, 15 Oct 1866, 253.
(2) Note by Hugh Dixon in B of I files.


7 work entries listed in chronological order for MCAULEY, JEREMIAH RYAN (REV.)


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE, CHURCH OF ST JAMES (RC)
Date: 1853
Nature: New church. Consecrated 15 May 1853.
Refs: Armagh Guardian, 13,20 May 1853;  B 11, 54 Jun 1853, 362;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 541.

Building: CO. DOWN, PORTAFERRY, PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS
Date: 1853
Nature: FS recently laid & superstructure now in progress. 13th century Gothic, with cut stone dressings.
Refs: B 11, 20 Aug 1853, 533

Building: CO. DOWN, AUGHLISNAFIN?, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1858?
Nature: Designed by JRM.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McAbMcAl.htm (2008)

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, DERBY STREET, ST PETER'S PRO-CATHEDRAL (RC)
Date: 1860-1866
Nature: New church on site given by Bernard Hughes. Style Continental Gothic of 13th cent. Builder for main body of church: John Ross. Builder for interior: (John)Murphy & Connor. (Completed by John O'Neill, with spires by Mortimer Thompson. ) Consecrated 14 Oct 1866 by Rev. Dr Dorrian..
Refs: B 18, ? ? 1860, 542; 24, 6 Oct 1866, 745; DB 2, 1 Sep 1860, 330; 8, 1,15 Oct 1866, 243,253; 9, 15 Jan 1867, 18(illus.); ? Rogers, St Peter's Pro-Cathedral 1866-1966; C.E.B. Brett, Buildings of Belfast (2nd ed., 1985), 43-44; Paul Larmour, Belfast: an illustrated architectural guide (1987), 23, no. 41(illus.);

Building: CO. DOWN, BALLYKINLAR, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1860a
Nature: Designed by JRM. Church dedicated on 17 Jun 1860 built instead of one which had been begun in 1855 on a site which could not bear weight of intended church; Marquess of Downshire presented new on an adjoining hill.
Refs: J. O'Laverty, Diocese of Down & Connor (1878), ?

Building: CO. DOWN, SAUL, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1866
Nature: New church replacing one of 1778-82, consisting of nave, chancel, tower on S side. Not fully executed. Consecrated 16 Sep 1866. Contractor: Mr McMullan, Newtownards.
Refs: DB 8, 1 Oct 1866, 230,243; James O’Laverty, An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, Ancient and Modern (1878), ?

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BALLYCASTLE, CHURCH OF SS PATRICK & BRIGID (RC)
Date: 1870-74
Nature: Plans prepared for and presented to Father McAlister by JRM free of charge probably 'some time between 1862 and 1866'. FS laid 1870; dedicated 9 Aug 1874. (Spire added 1890 by unknown architect) Mason: Charles Darragh.
Refs: IB 12, 1 May 1870, 110; 'Benmore' [John Clarke], St Brigid's Abbey [1926], 41-4; C.E.B. Brett, Glens of Antrim (UAHS, 1971), 48(illus.),50; Simon Walker, Historic Ulster Churches (Institute of Irish Studies, 2000), 123(illus.)