- Born: 1836c Died: 1864
Architect, of Dublin. Edward McAllister, the only son of JAMES MCALLISTER of Dublin, and his wife Christiana (née Hozier) was born circa 1836. He appears to have worked, like his father, for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. He had 'already exhibited proofs of considerable ability in his profession' and had recently been admitted a fellow of the RIAI, when he drowned while bathing at Clontarf in 1864 at the age of twenty-eight.
RIAI: elected fellow, 23 June 1864.(1)
Address: 17 Charlemont Place, Dublin, <=1853 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the obituary of McAllister in DB 6, 15 Oct 1864, 213.
(1) RIAI council meeting minutes, 14 May,7 June 1864, 15,16; general meeting minutes 23 June 1864, 144; DB 6, 1 Jul 1864, 128.
4 work entries listed in chronological order for MCALLISTER, EDWARD
|Building:||CO. KILDARE, MAYNOOTH, SCHOOL|
|Nature:||Tudor Gothic schoolhouse 'to be erected' for Duke of Leinster.|
|Refs:||Photographs, 1980, of signed perspective view, elevations, section & plan (in Guinness Collection?), dated Mar 1860, in IAA (1/94 R 5-10)|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, PREMISES|
|Nature:||New 'pile of buildings' immediately opposite Harcourt St station. 'As lightness, airiness, and elegance mark the exterior of these buildings, so the like characteristics mark the interior; and the enterprising builders have been rewarded for their discernment in breaking in upon the stereotyped Roman style of architecture, so long prevailing in our city...by the speedy and almost unprecedently early disposal of them to tenants of the most respectable and solvent character.' Builder: Hall & Son.
Irish Times, 5 Sep 1862.
|Building:||CO. MEATH, MOYGLARE, CHURCH OF ST PAUL (CI)|
|Nature:||Early English, nave, chance, robing room at S, tower and spire at N. Builder: H. Sharpe, Kells. Cost: £1,600. Consecrated 16 May 1866. Erected mainly at cost of H.H. Woods, Esq.
|Refs:||Contract drawings in RCB Library, portfolio 23; RHA 1864, no. 417; Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette, 8, no. 83, 19 May 1866, 114; DB 8, 1 Jun 1866, 147; Christine Casey & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North Leinster (1993), 71,408|
|Building:||CO. TIPPERARY, ROSCREA, CHURCH STREET, CHURCH OF ST CRONAN (CI)|
|Nature:||Design for new, richly traceried E window.|
|Refs:||Signed, undated drawing in RCB Library, portfolio 19|