Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin, active from the early 1850s until the early 1870s. James McAllister, son of David McAllister, was an inspecting architect under the Ecclesiastical Commissioners,(1) and was appointed diocesan architect on commissions of dilapidations in October 1864.(2)   He also designed some houses in Harcourt Street, Dublin.(3) He died in 1871 and was buried in Mount Jerome cemetery.(4)  He had married Christiana Hozier on 17 February 1862(5) and was the father of EDWARD MCALLISTER.  EDWARD MCALLISTER.

Address: 17 Charlemont Place, Dublin, <=1853-1868.

See WORKS.



References



(1) DB 4, 1 Jul 1862, ?.
(2) DB 6, 15 Oct 1864, 213;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 6, no. 64, (19 Oct 1864), 217.
(3) DB 3, 1 Mar 1861, 448; 4, 15 Nov 1862, 258.
(4) Information from Majella McAllister, Oct 2009.
(5) www.churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie (last visited, Nov 2012). Christiana, daughter of James Hozier,  was the sister of Thomas Mullins Hozier who became the second husband of Isabella, a daughter of the architect George Wildridge[2].


2 work entries listed in chronological order for MCALLISTER, JAMES


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HARCOURT STREET, HOUSES
Date: 1861-62
Nature: 2 superior class dwelling houses, in progress of erection, 1861, and handsome range of 1st class residences on E side, in progress 1862. For Hall & Son, proporietors and builders.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Mar 1861, 448; 4, 15 Nov 1862, 258

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILL O' THE GRANGE, KILL LANE, CHURCH (CI)
Date: 1863-64
Nature: New church erected to designs of Welland & Gillespie under supervision of J. McAllister. Consecrated, Jul or Aug 1864.
Refs: DB 5, 15 Apr 1863, 69; 6, 1 Aug 1864, 154;  Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 6, no. 62 (16 Aug 1864), 184.