Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect, of Dublin. William George Murray, the second son of WILLIAM MURRAY WILLIAM MURRAY , was born in 1822 and trained as an architect in his father's office. He may be the William Murray who was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 23 September 1837.(1) In 1845 his father took him and ABRAHAM DENNY  ABRAHAM DENNY into partnership as MURRAY MURRAY , SON, & DENNY DENNY . William Murray died in 1849, leaving the two younger partners to continue practice as MURRAY & MURRAY & amp; DENNY DENNY . After Denny quitted the profession in 1855, William George Murray carried on the practice very successfully on his own. He was responsible for some major banks and insurance offices in Dublin and, as the winner of a limited competition, for the Royal College of Physicians in Kildare Street. He was architect to the Dundalk, Enniskillen & Londonderry Railway Co.,(2) to the South Dublin Union, and to the Provincial Bank of Ireland. His connection with the latter ended in bitterness, when the officers of the bank took legal action against him and the Dublin building contractor John Nolan, alleging fraud and collusion in connection with the issue of certificates for extra work entailed in the building of the bank's headquarters in College Street, Dublin. Although Murray and Nolan were acquitted by the Vice-Chancellor, to the great satisfaction of the Irish Builder, the court of appeal ruled that, because of errors and negligence on Murray's part, an inquiry should be held to establish whether the sums of money for extra work which Nolan claimed from the bank should be paid.(3) This dispute, involving as it did a contractor with whom he had been associated in a large number of projects for at least ten years, must have cast a deep shadow over the last years of Murray's life.

Murray died at his house, Avonmore, Ballybrack, Co. Dublin, on 6 March 1871,(4) leaving effects of just under £9,000 and two houses in Ballybrack on five and a half acres of land. The surprisingly brief notice of his death in the Irish Builder, noted that 'he will be remembered in connection with some of the public buildings erected within the space of a few years, and which add so much to the beauty of our city'. He was married to Mary Ann (d.1880), daughter of James Craig of Armagh, by whom he was the father of three sons and three daughters. His pupils and assistants included his son, ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY ALBERT EDWARD MURRAY , who inherited his practice, THOMAS DREW THOMAS DREW , who entered his office in 1862 and married his sister Adelaide Anne, in 1871, and HENRY WILMOT.  HENRY WILMOT.

The RIAI Murray Collection, presented by Albert Edward Murray, to the RIAI in 1923 and now housed in the Irish Architectural Archive (Acc. 92/46), contains many architectural designs by William George Murray, for which see under WORKS.

RHA: elected member, 1860.(5)
RIAI:(6) treasurer 1849-1865; his paper on the history of the Irish National Gallery read in his absence by Thomas Drew at RIAI monthly meeting, 18 February 1864;(7) council member, 1865-66; fellow at time of death.

Addresses:(8) Work: same as William Murray until 1849; 68 Gardiner St Lower, thereafter until death.
Home: 22 Wellington Road, 1849-1856; 49 Wellington Rd, 1857-59; 55 Wellington Rd, 1860; Ballybrack, Co. Dublin, 1861; Avonmore, Ballybrack, 1862 until death.

See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY. BIBLIOGRAPHY.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the account of Murray's life in Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 10-17. Futher information about the Murray family is in a copy of counsel's opinion, 1941, re property of Robert Healy, deceased, in Lower Prince Edward Terrace, Blackrock (in IAA). The account of Murray in APSD conflates father & son.

(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) B 18, 21 Jan 1860, 46; DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391; Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12 (Oct 1975), 132-133.
(3) See IB 11, 1 Jan,1,15 Dec 1869, 12,269,294; 12, 15 Feb 1870, 47.
(4) IB 13, 15 Mar,1 Dec 1871, 71,311; APSD.
(5) W.G. Strickland, A Dictionary of Irish Artists (1913), II, 632.
(6) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories, unless otherwise stated.
(7) DB 6, 1 Mar 1864, 35; RIAI council meeting minutes, 4 Mar 1864.
(8) Jones transcripts from Thom's directories, unless otherwise stated.


59 work entries listed in chronological order for MURRAY, WILLIAM GEORGE


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, ST STEPHEN'S GREEN, NO. 008 (HIBERNIAN UNITED SERVICE CLUB)
Date: 1852
Nature: New front, for Hibernian United Services Club.
Refs: Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 535.

Building: CO. KILKENNY, GOWRAN CASTLE
Date: 1855-56
Nature: Forester's lodge in Elizabethan Revival style, for Henry Agar, 3rd Viscount Clifden. Contractor: John J. Nolan.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, nos. 867-878 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 260-262)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, QUINSBOROUGH ROAD, ST ANDREW'S PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Date: 1856
Nature: Proposed design.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, nos. 121,122 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 73)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, KILLINEY HILL ROAD, STONEHURST
Date: 1856-1862?
Nature: High Victorian Tudor Revival house for Edward Golding (but sold on completion to Henry Leland Kiely).(According to Richardson, stained-glass windows bear monogram E.G. 1862).
Refs: Drawings, s. & d. August 1856,  in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 1149-1157 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 326-327), front elevation repr.. Architecture of Ireland (1975), no. 65;  Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 433,475n125 (architect wrongly named W.C. Mitchell);  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 406

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, ENNISKILLEN, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1858
Nature: New terminus for Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Co., designed by company architect, WGM. Italianate. For Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Co. Carrickrea limestone with Cairnmore sandstone dressings. Cost approx. £4,500. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin.
Refs: B 16, 20 Nov 1858, 784; 17, 1 Jan 1859, 15; 18, 1860, 46, 21 Jan 1860, 46; DB 2, 1 Feb 1860, 192; Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12 (Oct 1975), 132

Building: CO. CAVAN, COOTEHILL, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1858
Nature: New bank and manager's residence to be erected.
Refs: B 16, 11 Dec 1858, 836;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 289.

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, TEMPLEMORE, BANK STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1858-59
Nature: New.
Refs: B 16, 10 Apr 1858, 250; 17, 17 Dec 1859, 829

Building: CO. WESTMEATH, MOYDRUM CASTLE
Date: 1859
Nature: Six proposals for Tudor Gothic entrance gate and lodge, for Richard Handcock, 3rd Baron Castlemaine.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, nos. 959-974 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 290-292

Building: CO. MAYO, BALLINROBE, CHURCH OF ST MARY (RC)
Date: 1859
Nature: Schemes for addition of chancel.
Refs: Signed and dated drawings in IAA, 92/46, nos. 77-85 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 62-63)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, LEESON PARK, MOLYNEUX CHURCH & ASYLUM (CI)
Date: 1859
Nature: Competition entrant. (Competition won by Rawson Carroll)
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, nos. 653-659 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 202-203)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, VERNON AVENUE (CLONTARF), HOUSE (SUNNYSIDE?)
Date: 1859
Nature: House at Green Lanes, Clontarf, for Mr Tisdall.
Refs: DB 1, 1 Aug 1859, 105

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JAMES'S STREET, SOUTH DUBLIN UNION WORKHOUSE
Date: 1859-1862
Nature: New male school, dormitories & other minor works, 1859-60; completion of clock tower over dining hall, 1861; new laundry, 1862 (estimated cost £2,000)
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46.621-644 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 194-197); DB 1, 1 Mar 1859, 34; 2, 1 Aug 1860, 317; 3, 1 Aug 1861, 591; 4, 15 Jul,15 Oct 1862, 185,268;  Irish Times, 11 Jun 1860 (advertisement for tenders for plumbing work in new building), 6 Oct 1862 (advertisement for tenders for erecting laundry);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 643-4. .

Building: CO. CLARE, ENNIS, BINDON STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1860
Nature: New bank & manager's residence to be built..
Refs: DB 2, 1 Oct 1860, 352; B 18, 29 Sep 1860, 628

Building: CO. CAVAN, COOTEHILL, RAILWAY STATION & GOODS STORE
Date: 1860-61
Nature: New station 'of Early English character with two gabled wings connected by a central covered porch', for Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Contractor: John Nolan. Cost: £2,000.
Refs: DB 2, 1Feb,1 Jul 1860, 192,301; 3, 1 Jan,1 Sep 1861, 391,620;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 290.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, LISNASKEA, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1860a
Nature: Gothic. Erected for Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Early English style. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin. Cost: £1,500.
Refs: DB 2 1 Feb 1860, 192; B 18, 21 Jan 1860, 46; Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12 (Oct 1975), 132-133

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, NEWTOWNBUTLER, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1860a
Nature: Early English. High-pitched roof, with gabled dormers.. For Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin. Cost £1,400.
Refs: DB 2 1Feb 1860, 192; B 18, 21 Jan 1860, 46; Jeanne Sheehy, 'Railway Architecture - its heyday', Journal of the Irish Railway Record Society 12 (Oct 1975), 132; Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 438

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, CLONES, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1860a
Nature: For Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin. Cost £2,500.
Refs: DB 2 1Feb 1860, 192; B 18, 21 Jan 1860, 46;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 276-7

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, NEWBLISS, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1860a
Nature: New station for Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin. Cost: £1,700.
Refs: DB 2 1Feb 1860, 192; B 18, 21 Jan 1860, 46;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 497.

Building: CO. MONAGHAN, BALLYBAY, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1860a
Nature: Gothic. For Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Company. Contractor: John Nolan, Dublin. Cost: £1,700.
Refs: DB 2 1 Feb 1860, 192; B 18, 21 Jan,3 Mar 1860, 46,141;  Kevin V. Mulligan, The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster (2013), 155.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, CROM CASTLE (NEWTOWNBUTLER)
Date: 1861
Nature: Addition of extra storey and alterations to E wing, for 3rd Earl Erne.
Refs: Drawings in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, no.s292-295 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 118,119-20).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 036 (ULSTER BANK)
Date: 1861
Nature: Conversion of premises to form Ulster Bank. Builder: James Freeman. Cost: £2,000.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Nov 1861, 666; 4, 15 Apr 1862, 95

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NO. 006 (ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS)
Date: 1861
Nature: New 5-bay, 3-storey building. WGM winner of competition limited to 6 entrants for new building on site of old Kildare Street Club. FS laid 7 Jul 1862 by Earl of Carlisle.. Contractor: Beardwood. Estimated cost: £6,000. (Refaced in Portland stone in slightly different form by Desmond Fitzgerald, 1964;  original sandstone facade re-erected as folly at Woodbrook, Bray, Co. Dublin.)
Refs: DB 3, 15 May,1 Aug 1861, 510,589; 4, 15 Jan,1 May,1,15 Jun,1 Jul 1862, 16, 112,134,135(illus.),150,151(illus.),159; B 19, 3 Aug, 28 Dec 1861, 535,902; 20, 15 May 1878, 146;  Freeman's Journal, 27 Jul,8 Aug 1861;   Irish Times, 3 Aug 1861, 8 Jul 1862;  'Annals of Dublin' in Post Office Dublin Directory (1875), 800;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 482.

Building: CO. FERMANAGH, LISBELLAW, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1861
Nature: 'a delightful symmetrical design…with high gables and curiously spiky platelet windows' (Rowan) For Dundalk & Enniskillen Railway Co.
Refs: DB 3, 1 Jan 1861, 391; Ulster Journal of Archaeology27 (19??), 160,pl.23a (design given here to Sir John Macneill); Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster (1979), 357

Building: CO. CAVAN?, BALLYHAISE?, CAVAN & BELTURBET JUNCTION RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1861
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting goods stores &c.
Refs: Irish Times, 10 Sep 1861.

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, JAMES STREET, RAILWAY STATION
Date: 1861-62
Nature: New joint railway station for Irish North Western Railway and Portadown Omagh & Dungannon Railway at junction of two lines, replacing Londonderry & Enniskillen Railway station of 1852. Tenders invited, Jul 1861. Contractor: F. McGaughey.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Jul 1861, p.96v), L1 (pp.145,151-156,161,167); DB 3, 15 Jul 1861, 578;  4, 1 Mar,15 Sep 1862, 61,238;  Irish Times, 18 Jul 1861;  Stephen Johnson, Johnson's Atlas & gazetteer of the railways of Ireland (1997), 95

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 060 (COLONIAL LIFE INSURANCE)
Date: 1861-63
Nature: Italianate. Begun March 1861. Contractor: Beardwood & Sons, Westland Row. Cost (including furniture & fittings): £3,400.
Refs: IAA, PKS B02/17, A03 (Mar 1862. p.74v), L1; DB 3, 1 May,1 Aug,15 Sep 1861, 501,591,637; 5, 1 Oct,15 Dec 1863, 159-60,201;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 216.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 066 (STANDARD LIFE ASSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1861-63
Nature: WGM superintending architect for new office designed by David Bryce. Contractor: Cockburn & Son. Cost: £7,275.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Jun 1861, p.40v); DB 3, 1 May,1 Aug,15 Sep 1861, 501,591,637; 5, 1 Jul,15 Dec 1863, 118,201

Building: CO. TIPPERARY, NENAGH, KICKHAM STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1862
Nature: New bank about to be built.
Refs: DB 4, 15 Mar,15 Apr 1862, 69,105

Building: CO. DONEGAL, BALLYSHANNON, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1862
Nature: Adds. & interior alts. completed at cost of c. £1,200. Contractor: John Nolan
Refs: DB 4, 1 Jan 1862, 7

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 016 (SCOTTISH PROVIDENT)
Date: 1862
Nature: New front and interior alts. Builder: John Nolan.
Refs: DB 4, 1 Jan 1862, 10

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, NORTHBROOK ROAD, NO. 015A (OLD MEN'S ASYLUM)
Date: 1862-63
Nature: Designed for 42 inmates. For Governors of Old Men's Insitution. Granite with Drogheda limestone dressings. Builder: George Moyers. Cost about £3,000. ornamental iron work partly by Brawn, Birmingham, and partly by Fagan, Great Brunswick St. Plumbing: Lamprey & Russell.
Refs: DB 4, 1 May,1 Jun 1862, 112,142; 5, 15 Jun 1863, 101; 6, 15 Apr 1864, 70(illus.); RHA 1863, no. 466;

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE STREET, NO. 001-2 (PROVINCIAL BANK)
Date: 1862-64
Nature: New bank on site of Irish Institution. Builder: John Nolan, 3 Meredyth Pl. Cost: £36,000. Subject of lawsuit, 1869.  Stuccowork by Thomas Saunders.  Door by Skidmore Art Metal Co.
Refs: IAA, PKS B05/10, A03 (Nov 1862, Oct 1868-Mar 1870, pp.50v, 119v, 120v 121v), L1 (pp.245,247-8,250-1,304); DB 4, 1 Jul,1 Dec 1862, 165,312; 9, 1 May 1867, 108,109(illus.); 11, 1 Jan,1,15 Dec 1869, 12,269,294; 12, 15 Feb 1870, 47; 13, 1 Sep 1871, 226,227(illus.);   Freeman's Journal, 29 Jan 1870;  B 22, 7 May 1864, 338-9;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 423. .

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, SOUTH MALL, NO. 097 (PROVINCIAL BANK)
Date: 1862-65
Nature: New bank premises in Palladian style, with frontage of 163 ft. Corinthian order. Local limestone with chief carved work in Portland stone. Carved semi-circular panels in parapet depict Commerce, Industry, Agriculture and Shipping. Shields over windows bear arms of principal cities where Provincial Banking Co,. has banks. Expected to cost £15,000. Contractor: Alexander Deane, Cork, or William Brash. Clerk of Works: Mr Pierce.
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.291,294-298,303,306); B 22, 28 May 1864, 398; DB 4, 15 May 1862, 127; 7, 1 Nov 1865, 261; Cork Examiner, 23 Oct 1865;  Roger Herlihy, A Walk through the South Parish (Cork: Red Abbey Publications, 2010), 62-63.

Building: CO. CORK, CORK, UNION BANK
Date: 1863
Nature: New?
Refs: IAA, PKS L1 (p.567)

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, UNION BANK
Date: 1863
Nature: Branch office established. Contractor: Beardwood & Son.
Refs: DB 5, 15 Feb 1863, 33

Building: CO. WICKLOW, BRAY, ?, HOUSES (003)
Date: 1863
Nature: 3 new houses to be erected.
Refs: DB 5, 1 Jan 1863, 11

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAPEL STREET, NO. 037 (UNION BANK)
Date: 1863
Nature: Premises refitted to form branch office. Contractor: John Nolan, Meredyth Pl.
Refs: DB 5, 15 Feb 1863, 33

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FINGLAS BRIDGE, BELLVUE PRIVATE LUNATIC ASYLUM
Date: 1863
Nature: Works, for Dr Richard Gregory. Builder: Beardwood & Sons.
Refs: IAA, PKS B02/22

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, INNS QUAY, NO. 003
Date: 1863
Nature: Proposed alts. to shop front for Baptist Kernaghan, Esq.
Refs: Drawing in IAA, Murray Collection, 92/46, no. 563 (see Bernadette Goslin, 'A History and descriptive catalogue of the Murray Collection of architectural drawings' (MA thesis, University College, Dublin, 1990), 184; exh. Architecture of Ireland (1975), no. 72)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MARY STREET, NO. 012-13 (BEAKEY)
Date: 1863-1865
Nature: Rebuilding of premises at corner of Stafford St, destroyed by fire. L shaped with longer arm on Stafford St. Contractor: Beardwood. Cost over £5,000.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Feb 1865, 48(illus.); The Industries of Dublin (London: Spencer Blackett, n.d.), 121(illus.);  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 109.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRUNSWICK STREET NORTH, HARDWICKE FEVER HOSPITAL
Date: 1864
Nature: Adds. completed. Contractor: David Freeman, 71 Queen St.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Jul 1864, 144

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BRUNSWICK STREET NORTH, RICHMOND SURGICAL HOSPITAL
Date: 1864
Nature: Additional wards to accommodate 40 patients. Contractor: James Freeman.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Sep 1864, 188

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 039 (LAWRENCE'S TOY SHOP & CIVET CAT BAZAAR)
Date: 1864
Nature: Additions, consisting of large wareroom, archery gallery for butt shooting and photographic gallery with waiting rooms, &c.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Mar 1864, 44

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 046-49 (GILBEY)
Date: 1864-1867
Nature: Remodelling of existing houses with new front and entrance to form offices; extensive wine stores. Cost about £10,000. Contractor: John Nolan, Meredyth Place (originally Doolin?) Demolished 1972.
Refs: B 22, 6 Aug 1864, 589; DB 6, 15 Mar,1 Aug 1864, 44,154; IB 9, 1,15 Jun,1 Jul 1867, 148(illus.),164,169(illus.); Jubilee Number 1908, 8(illus.); Jeanne Sheehy, 'William G. Murray and the Gilbey Building', Irish Times, 7 Jun 1972.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, COLLEGE GREEN, NO. 022-27 (HIBERNIAN BANK)
Date: 1864-1871
Nature: New 4-bay Italian Gothic building with apse at W end,. Sheephouse limestone with Portland stone dressings. Built as Union Bank, but handed over to Hibernian Bank 8 months after opening. By WGM in association with Thomas Drew. Builder: George Moyers, S Richmond St. Carving: C.W. Harrison. Cost about £20,000.
Refs: DB 6, 15 Mar 1864, 44; IB 9, 15 Oct 1867, 275; 13, 15 May 1871, 134(illus.); B 24, 5 May 1866, 332;  Christine Casey, The Buildings of Ireland: Dublin (2005), 413.

Building: CO. TYRONE, OMAGH, HIGH STREET, PROVINCIAL BANK
Date: 1864-65
Nature: New 3-storey Italian Gothic bank with cut-stone front, nearing completion in Oct 1865;  'almost certainly designed by W.G. Murray' (Rowan).
Refs: DB 6, 15 Dec 1864, 261;  Armagh Guardian, 27 Oct 1865;  Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster, 447-8.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GRAFTON STREET, NO. 089-90
Date: 1865
Nature: Being rebuilt after collapse of one house during rebuilding of other. Lower portions handsomely carved. General character plain & unpretentious. Builder: Walter Doolin.
Refs: DB 7, 15 Feb 1865, 48; The Industries of Dublin (London: Spencer Blackett, n.d.), 119(illus.)

Building: CO. GALWAY, HEADFORD, CHURCH (RC)
Date: 1866
Nature: Designed by Richard Pierce, after whose death work carried on by WGM.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Mar 1866, 78

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, O'CONNELL STREET UPPER, NO. 015 (FRIENDLY BROTHERS' CLUB)
Date: 1866
Nature: Addition. Contractor: Hall & Son.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Aug 1866, 209

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WATLING STREET, STORE (ROE & CO.)
Date: 1866
Nature: Extensive bonded store covering area of 32,500 feet being erected at Roe's distillery. Builder: George Moyers.
Refs: DB 8, 1 Mar 1866, 66

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 014 (SCOTTISH EQUITABLE INSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1866
Nature: Thomas Drew assists W.G. Murray. Builder: John Nolan, £3,400.
Refs: B 24, 21 Jul 1866, 541

Building: CO. ANTRIM, BELFAST, TOMB STREET, J. & T. SINCLAIR
Date: 1866
Nature: Large store, for Mssrs. Sinclair of Dublin, with Thomas Drew. Red brick facing with black bricks and bands, archivolts and cornices. Cost about £4,000. Contractor: Lowry & Son.
Refs: IAA, PKS A03 (Jun 1866, p.116v); B 24, 8 Sep 1866, 673

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 044-45 (ROYAL INSURANCE CO.)
Date: 1866-69
Nature: New office. Portland stone, with Irish marbles in doorway. Contractor: John Nolan, Meredyth Pl. Estimated cost about £5,000.
Refs: DB 8, 15 Jul 1866, 185; 11, 15 Apr,1 Jun 1869, 98,128,133(illus.); 13, 1 Feb 1871, 30,31(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 011 (UNION BANK)
Date: 1867
Nature: New premises in Italian Gothic style. Builder: George Moyers.  Opened for business, 25 Mar 1867.
Refs: Irish Times, 26 Mar 1867; IB 9, 15 Sep 1867, 243.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 011-12 (SAMUEL OLDHAM & SONS)
Date: 1867
Nature: Work on buildings occupied by Union Bank of Ireland which are to be added to establishment of Mssrs. Oldham & Sons, drapers. Builder: Crowe & Son. Cost: £1,000.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Sep 1867, 243

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, WESTMORELAND STREET, NO. 004-5 (CRAMER, WOOD & CO.)
Date: 1867-69
Nature: New piano warehouse with pooychromatic Venetian Gothic façade on site formerly occupied by Marcus Moses. New building connects with former Agricultural Bank and with premises in Fleet St to form 'one of the largest music warehouses in the Kingdom'. Builder: Crowe & Sons, Great Brunswick St. Estimated cost £5,000. Opened end 1869.
Refs: IB 9, 15 Sep 1867, 243; 14, 1 Jan,1 Feb 1870, 13, 25; engraved interior view of very deep and spacious interior showing music warehouse and principal pianoforte gallery in Irish Ecclesiastical Gazette 18, no. 205, May 1876, 169;  The Industries of Dublin (London: Spencer Blackett, n.d.), 58(illus.); Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 406-7

Building: CO. WICKLOW, SEAPARK (WICKLOW)
Date: 1868
Nature: Fine mansion for [Robert] F[rancis] Ellis, High Sheriff of Co. Wicklow, completed. Builder: George Moyers. (Name changed in 1901 to Magherymore, see Wicklow Newsletter, 5 Oct 1901)
Refs: IB 10, 1 Apr 1868, 89

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MOLESWORTH STREET, NO. 017-18 (FREEMASONS' HALL)
Date: 1869
Nature: Competition entrant. (Motto: 'Ecce Quam Bonum'.)
Refs: Drawings, specifications and estimate in Grand Lodge of Freemasons, Dublin, Masonic Hall with building committee minutes (information from Marion Gaule), see also Tony Browne, 'A Building Study (2008) of the Freemason's Hall', 25, http://irishmasonicjewels.ie/ (last visited Feb 2010).

Building: CO. DUBLIN, KILLINEY, KILLINEY HILL ROAD, AVONMORE
Date: ?
Nature: New house, for himself. (According to Richardson, stained-glass windows bear monogram W.C[sic]..M. 1865.)
Refs: Douglas Scott Richardson, Gothic Revival Architecture in Ireland (1983), 433,475n125 (architect wrongly named W.C. Mitchell);  Frederick O'Dwyer, The Architecture of Deane and Woodward (Cork University Press, 1997), 406