Architect, of Omagh, Co. Tyrone. Vincent Murnaghan was born in Omagh, Co. Tyrone, on 24 May 1897, the ninth child of George Murnaghan, farmer and MP, of Lisanelly House, Omagh, and his wife Angela (nee Mooney). After attending the Christian Brothers School at Omagh, he studied engineering at University College, Dublin, obtaining the BE degree in 1918. In 1922 he was appointed an assistant county surveyor for Co. Tyrone, a post which he held on a part-time basis until his death. He was appointed town surveyor for Strabane, Co. Tyrone, in or by 1932 and for Omagh in 1944 or 1945, retaining the latter post until 1949 or 1950. After the Second World War he built up a private practice, being principally involved in hospital, school and commercial work. He did all his own draughting and typing and used his young son, Anthony, to help him with site surveys. Anthony's Murnaghan's abiding memory of his father is of him working late at night over a drawing board at home.
Vincent Murnaghan died on 7 November 1964 and was buried at Killyclogher, Omagh. He had married Josephine Mary Morrogh in July 1923 and had eight children. His second son, Alan, became an architect and in 1969 emigrated to Canada, where he died in 1991; his third son, Anthony, became an engineer.
ICEI: elected associate member, 1929; raised to member, 1941.
Addresses: Work: High Street, Omagh, 1939-1943.
Home: Lisanelly House, Omagh, from birth until 1939; Belle Vue, Omagh, 1943 until death.
All information in this entry not otherwise attributed is from a letter of 22 Oct 1999 from Vincent Murnaghan's son Anthony Murnhaghan, 40 Belfast, Road, Holywood, Co. Down, BT18 9EL, to A.M. Rowan.
University College Dublin: Register of Graduates (1946), 147.
The Irish High Court Judge and art collector James Murnaghan was one of his brothers.
He had been succeeded by J.J. Cassidy by 1939.
List of ICEI members in Thom's Directory Ireland 1958, 375.
University College Dublin: Register of Graduates (1946), 147, gives his address as Drumcrimna, Lisanelly, Omagh.