Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Robert Morrison won one of the three premiums awarded by the Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 4 April 1805 and of the four prizes awarded the following year, on 27 March 1806.(1) Persons of this name, possibly father and son, were admitted Freemen of the City of Dublin as members of the Carpenters' Guild at Michaelmas 1807 and Midsummer 1816,(2) the former by Grace Especial the latter by virtue of service. A Robert Morrison, carpenter, appears in Wilson's Dublin Directory from 1799 or earlier until 1823, the address being given as 6 Little Longford Street in 1799 and as 68 Aungier Street from 1802 or earlier.(3)



References



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) 'An alphabetical list of the Freemen of the City of Dublin, 1774-1824', The Irish Ancestor XV (1983), Nos. 1 & 2, unpaginated.
(3) The years 1800 and 1801 are missing from Jones's transcripts from Wilson's Dublin Directory.