- Born: - Died: 1896
Architect and surveyor, of Dublin. Frederick Morley appears to have come from England in or by 1872 to work in the office of THOMAS NEWENHAM DEANE . Two English architects, John Whichcord, of London, and R.P. Browne, of Greenwich, as well as Deane, proposed Morley for associateship of the RIBA in November 1872,(1) which suggests that he may previously have a pupil or assistant to one or both of them. In the same year he exhibited six drawings of a design for a town hall at the Dublin Exhibition of Arts, Industries, Manufactures & Loans Museum.(2) From the evidence of the directories, he had started to practice on his own account from his home in Merrion by 1875 and by 1879 had opened an office in Nassau Street. He exhibited views of Lincoln, Rouen and Rochester cathedrals at the RHA in 1875 and 1876.(3) He is described as engineer to Clontarf township in Thom's directories from 1890 onwards. By this time he had holdings of land in the area of Herbert Avenue, Merrion, and gave his name to Morley Villas on the north-west side of the road.(4) He died in August 1896 and was buried in Dean's Grange cemetery.(5) Shortly before his death, having already taken his son FREDERICK LOUIS MORLEY into his practice, he formed a partnership with GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN. (6) The practice continued under the name of MORLEY & amp; SHERIDAN for a few years after his death.
AAI: reads paper on 'Architectural Practice', 25 May 1876;(7) committee member, 1876-77;(8) scheduled to read paper on 'Bulding materials and their uses', 5 April 1877.(9)
RIBA: elected associate, 4 Nov 1872, proposed by Thomas Newenham Deane, J. Whichcord and R.P. Browne.(10)
RSAI: elected member, 1892.(11)
Addresses: Work: 3 Upper Merrion Street, 1872;(12) 6 Strand Road, Merrion, 1876; 16 Nassau Street, 1879-1880; Commercial Buildings, Dame Street, 1881-92; 190 Great Brunswick Street, 1893-95; Commercial Buildings, 1896.
Home: 6 Strand Road (Stafford House), Merrion, 1875-1891; Lowell House, Herbert Avenue, Merrion, 1895 until death.(13)
See WORKS and BIBLIOGRAPHY.
All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from Thom's and Post Office directories or Jones's transcripts therefrom.
(1) Directory of British Architects 1834-1900 (RIBA, 1993), 634.
(2) Nos. 932-938 (IALE II, 483).
(3) No. 226 in 1874, Nos. 275 and 363 in 1876; in the latter year he also exhibited his design for the Temperance Hall in Townsend Street (no. 286).
(4) See Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008), 6-8.
(5) McManus, op. cit., 8.
(6) According to the obituary of Sheridan in RIAI Year Book (1950), 43, Sheridan 'took over the practice of Frederick Morley' in the autumn of 1895, too late for inclusion however in Thom's Directory for 1896 which lists Frederick Morley & Son, architects, surveyors, & civil engineers but does not include Sheridan.
(7) IB 18, 1 Dec 1876, 339.
(8) IB 18, 1 Dec 1876, 339.
(9) See note 5, above.
(10) See note 1, above.
(11) JRSAI 24 (1894), list of members.
(12) See note 1, above.
(13) For a photograph of the house, see McManus, op. cit., 7.
18 work entries listed in chronological order for MORLEY, FREDERICK
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, TOWNSEND STREET, NO. 006 (TEMPERANCE HOUSE & HALL)|
|Nature:||For Total Abstinence Society. Contractor: George Tyrrell.|
|Refs:||IB 16, 1 Oct 1874, 276; 17, 1 Jun 1875, 154; design exh. RHA 1876, no. 286|
|Building:||CO. ROSCOMMON, KILRONAN CASTLE|
|Nature:||Works at same, for Col. Tenison.|
|Refs:||IB 18, 15 Feb 1876, 55|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MABBOT STREET, NO. 070 (NEPTUNE MUSIC HALL)|
|Nature:||Remodelling of gin palace to form Neptune music hall. Contractor: George Tyrrell, Russell Pl.|
|Refs:||IB 18, 15 Aug 1876, 247|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, DUBLIN COFFEE PALACE|
|Nature:||New branch of Townsend St Dublin Coffee Palace. Large plate glass windows to street and large temperance hall behind. Architect 'Mr Morie[Morley?],CE, Nassau Street'. Builder: George Tyrrell.
Irish Times, 14 Jun 1878.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, FITZGIBBON STREET, NO. 025 (GEORGE TYRRELL)|
|Nature:||Range of workshops & offices for G.F. Tyrrell.|
|Refs:||IB 21, 1 Nov 1879, 339|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, PARNELL STREET, NO. 074 (J.G. MOONEY)|
|Nature:||New premises. Contractor: T. Connolly, Dominick St. Cost: £2,000.|
|Refs:||IB 21, 15 Feb 1879, 59|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, HENRY STREET, NO. 045 (WILLIAM MOLONEY)|
|Nature:||Extension to premises. Contractor: Monks.
Irish Times, 14 Aug,27 Sep 1879.
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, DAME STREET, NO. 081|
|Nature:||Alts., for John Behan. Tenders of H. Hanlon for £292 accepted.|
|Refs:||IB 23, 1 Apr 1881, 111|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, JONES'S ROAD, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||Gothic, red brick with limestone dressings. Also school house in same materials. FS laid 12 Oct 1881. Contractor: R.F. Lidwill. Estimated cost about £2,600.|
|Refs:||Irish Times, 13 Oct 1881, 3; IB 23, 15 Oct 1881, 307|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BLACKPITTS|
|Nature:||Plot of 3 acres, 28½ perches laid out for building purpose by 'Mr Morley, architect' for Thomas Byrne, TC.
Irish Times, 30 aUG 1881, 8.
|Building:||CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, METHODIST CHURCH|
|Nature:||Early Gothic. FS laid, May 1883. Opened Dec 1883. Contractor: R.F. Lidwill, Dublin.|
|Refs:||IB 25, 15 May,15 Dec 1883, 162,398|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, STRAND ROAD (MERRION), PIER & BATHS|
|Nature:||Opposite Sydney Ave. Wooden pier leading to baths with concrete walls, sufficiently deep to admit sea water from 'Cockle Lake'. Contractor: Connolly & Son, Upper Dominick St. Pumping system installed to ensure daily supply of fresh sea water, 1889. Contractor: McGarvey & Co., Lombard St. (Pier demolished, 1920.)
|Refs:||IB 25, 1 Aug 1883, 238; 31, 1 Sep 1889, 217; B 45, 18 Aug 1883, 237; Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),8.|
|Building:||CO. LAOIS, PORTLAOISE, TOWN HALL|
|Nature:||Entrant in competition for adds and alts.|
|Refs:||IB 27, 1 Jan 1885, 6|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, BAGGOT STREET, HOUSE & SHOWROOMS|
|Nature:||For Mr Dennehy. Tender of Connolly accepted.|
|Refs:||IB 27, 1 Nov 1885, 300|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, GEORGE'S STREET SOUTH GREAT, NO. 060|
|Nature:||Recent improvements to establish South City Store & Provision Shop for Peter Murphy. Contractor: George Whiteacre & Sons, Summer Hill.|
|Refs:||IB 28, 1 Jun 1886, 169|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CLONTARF ROAD, BATHS & ASSEMBLY ROOMS|
|Refs:||Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),8.|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, CAMBRIDGE ROAD (RINGSEND), PEMBROKE TECHNICAL & RINGSEND FISHERY SCHOOLS|
|Nature:||FM competition entrant.|
|Refs:||IB 35, 1,15 Jun 1893, 127,134(illlus.),144|
|Building:||CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, MERRION, HERBERT AVENUE, MORLEY VILLAS|
|Nature:||These were next to FM's own house, Lowell House. Their name suggests that he may have designed them.|
|Refs:||See under Herbert Ave, Merrion, in Post Office Directory 1896, 1900 and Thom's Directory 1907; see also Ruth McManus, Crampton Built (Dublin: G. & T. Crampton, 2008),6-7.|
|Morley, Frederick||'Architectural Practice'||1876||IB 18, 1 Jun 1876, 154, and Architect 15, 10 Jun 1876, 380-381. (Paper read to AAI, 25 May 1876.)|