Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architect and engineer, of Dublin, Leamington and Wolverhampton. Anthony Morgan, third son of Anthony Morgan, 'cabinet maker to her Majesty, the Board of Works, &c.upholsterer, valuator and house agent' of Henry Street, Dublin, and his wife Elizabeth, née Blacker, was born in Dublin on 16 February 1824. He was admitted to the Royal Dublin Society's School of Drawing in Architecture on 7 November 1839.(1) In 1845 he exhibited a 'Design for a mansion in the castellated style' at the Royal Hibernian Academy, from an address in Margaret Place, Dublin.(2) Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Almanac for 1847 shows him living at 7 Margaret Place, together with his widowed mother and two elder brothers, James Blacker Morgan and Robert Morgan.

Anthony Morgan had moved to England by February 1860, when he married Annette Josephine MacConkey in Edgbaston, Birmingham. He is described as a civil engineer in the English census of the following year, living with his wife, sister, sister-in-law and baby son in Leamington, Warwickshire. The census of 1871 finds him in Wolverhampton with his wife and three small daughters. He died on 22 April 1877.

Addresses: Margaret Place, Dublin, 1845; 7 Margaret Place, Dublin, 1847; 117 Gardiner Street Lower and 34 Upper Rutland Street, 1850;(3) Shrubland Cottage, Tachbrook Road, Leamington, Warwickshire, 1861; 5 New Hampton Road, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, 1871.



References



(1) MS. transcript from Royal Dublin Society minutes of School of Drawing in Architecture admissions and prizewinners (in IAA).
(2) No. 467 (Index of RHA Exhibitors, II, 290).
(3) From Jones's transcripts from Thom's directories.