Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Architectural wood carver and designer, of 5 Granby Row, Dublin, active from 1891 or earlier until 1907 or later. Milligan designed and executed the panels in the pulpit of the Catholic church at Mountrath, Co. Laois, illustrated in the Irish Builder for 15 April 1891, and also carried out work in the National Museum and National Library in Dublin.(1) He appears at the same address in Thom's directory for 1907 but has disappeared by 1915.

See WORKS.



References



(1) Copy of estimate for wood carving by Milligan at National Library, 1885, in IAA, PKS 0001; IB 33, 15 Apr 1891, 89.


3 work entries listed in chronological order for MILLIGAN, JOHN *


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. LAOIS, MOUNTRATH, CHURCH OF ST FINTAN (RC)
Date: 1891
Nature: Carved wooden panels of pulpit.
Refs: IB 33, 15 Apr 1891, 89(illus.)

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NATIONAL LIBRARY
Date: 1891a
Nature: JM responsible for work in the 'new buildings' in Kildare St, including carving of doors and oak screen in library.
Refs: Copy of estimate for wood carving by Milligan at National Library, 1885, in IAA, PKS 0001; IB 33, 15 Apr 1891, 89;  Irish Times, 30 Aug 1890.

Building: CO. DUBLIN, DUBLIN, KILDARE STREET, NATIONAL MUSEUM
Date: 1891a
Nature: JM responsible for work in the 'new buildings' in Kildare St.
Refs: IB 33, 15 Apr 1891, 89