Dictionary of Irish Architects 1720 - 1940

Engineer and architect. George Hemingway Mills, a younger son of WILLIAM HEMINGWAY MILLS  WILLIAM HEMINGWAY MILLS and brother of ARTHUR EDWIN MILLS ARTHUR EDWIN MILLS , was born in England on 3 October 1874. He was educated at the Corrig School, Dun Laoghaire, from 1884 to 1890, then studied mathematics under a private tutor in Dublin and geometrical drawing at the Metropolitan School of Art. From 1892 to 1895 he served a three-year pupilage under his father,chief engineer of the Great Northern Railway Company, and then joined the company's engineering staff. He was resident engineer for the reconstruction of the Laytown and Gormanstown viaducts and for the Howth electric tramway. In 1903 he was appointed resident engineer for the new Armagh to Castleblayney line on which he was engaged until 1911 or later.(1) He subsequently appears to have set up in private practice in Armagh, designing a number of public elementary schools in the county between 1927 and 1938. He died in 1951.  He had married circa 1907 and at the time of the 1911 census had two sons, Stanley and Herbert.

The Irish Architectural Archive owns a set of wooden templates for drawing railway curves which Mills appears to have inherited from his father (Acc. 2000/104).

Inst.CE: elected associate member, 7 April 1903; transferred to member, 11 April 1911.

Addresses: Nurney, Glenageary, Co. Dublin, 1903; 2 Winder Terrace, Armagh, <=1911->=1914; 7 Beresford Row, The Mall, Armagh, <=1923->=1937.(2)

See WORKS.



References

All information in this entry not otherwise accounted for is from the records of the Institution of Civil Engineers, courtesy of Mrs Carol Morgan, Archivist.

(1) See his paper, 'A method of dealing with a railway-cutting in bog', Min.Proc.Inst.CE 187 (1911-12), 251-257.
(2) IB 79, 12 Jun 1937, 542.


10 work entries listed in chronological order for MILLS, GEORGE HEMINGWAY


Sort by date | Sort alphabetically


Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, CASTLE STREET, ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS HALL
Date: 1924
Nature: -
Refs: IB 66, 12 Jul 1924, 617

Building: CO. ARMAGH, ARMAGH, EGG MARKET
Date: 1925
Nature: Erection of sheds by 'Mr Mills, CE'.
Refs: IB 67, 21 Mar 1925, 229

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DRUMSALLAN, PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1929
Nature: New. For Co. Armagh Education Committee. Contractor: McKinney, Armagh.
Refs: IB 71, 2 Mar 1929, 190; 72, 15 Feb,15 Mar 1930, 155,252; Architect & Building News 123, 7 Mar 1930, 335

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TANDRAGEE, PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1929-1931
Nature: -
Refs: IB 71, 3 Aug 1929, 704; 72, 15 Feb 1930, 163; 73, 14 Mar 1931, 232

Building: CO. ARMAGH, TEMPLE (KEADY), PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1930
Nature: Rebuilding.
Refs: IB 72, 7 Jun 1930, ?

Building: CO. ARMAGH, CASTLE DILLON (ARMAGH)
Date: 1930
Nature: Structural alts., sanitary fittings, plumbing, central heating, cooking appliances for conversion of house into County Mental Hospital. Also large byre (Contractor: William McKinney, Lisnagree, £1,568.)
Refs: IB 72, 7 Jun,6 Dec 1930, 520,1100

Building: CO. ARMAGH, DARKLEY, PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1931
Nature: Tenders invited for erecting new school to accommodate 150 pupils, for Armagh County Council.
Refs: IB 73, 18 Jul 1931, 646; Architect & Building News 127, 24 Jul 1931, 118

Building: CO. ARMAGH, WASTELANDS (ARMAGH), PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1932
Nature: -
Refs: IB 74, 12 Mar 1932, 754

Building: CO. ARMAGH, SALTER'S GRANGE, PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1932
Nature: -
Refs: IB 74, 13 Feb 1932, 163

Building: CO. ARMAGH, KILLYLEA, PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Date: 1936-38
Nature: Reconstruction. Builder: J. Sinton, Tanderagee.
Refs: IB 78, 16 May 1936, 433; 79, 12 Jun 1937, 542; 80, 23 Jul 1938, 622

Author Title Date Details
Mills, George Hemingway 'A method of dealing with a railway-cutting in bog' [i.e. near Keady, Co. Armagh] 1912 Min.Proc.Inst.CE 187 (1911-12), 251-257.